SASS Wire Forum

What kind of hearing protection do you use?

The Original Bad Bob

Got this idea from another thread here.

What do you like to use, and why?

I usually use the traditional "muff" style, but you can't do that in CAS, right?

I also use the "band" type that wrap around the back of my head.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/QB1H/Hearing-Band

I use foamies. Easy to put in, more comfortable than the plastic ones and typically attenuate more noise to boot.

Also cheap when you buy in bulk packages.

I don't like the corded, rubber ones. I find thee earplugs uncomfortable after a period of time and the string to be annoying.

I have worn those particular foamies many a day but I typically wear the EAR Classic Plusbecause that is what I have at work. They about the same to me, with the one's you posted being slightly easier to insert.

I use the orange ones. Don't know what I would do with 200 pair though.

Usually just get the 10 pair pack at the local drugstore, (look in the sleep aid section) and that will last a year or so.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I also use the disposable foam earplugs.

Use all day and discard ..... no cleaning needed :)

Corded pairs can make a shotgun sound louder on the second shot, ... if the string gets under the buttstock shoulder plate/pad :o

I have an old "cheap" pocket watch that was un-repairable so I got a watchmaker to remove it's innards and convert it into a locket ... for earplugs :D

I also buy them in the 200pair box and freely share them with spectators etc ;)

I like the do-it-yourself 'custom' molded ones. You mix the two parts together and stuff it in your ear. Once it sets, you have a reusable earplug that is more effective than the foam ones and comfortable to wear all day.

I found mine at a local store, but here are some for sale at amazon.

HUH? What did you say? I can't hear you!

:D

I use the plastic reusable ones, pretty cheap, have a couple pairs, don't like the corded ones the cord annoys me. Have a pack of disposable ones in my cart in case I lose mine or someone forgets theirs.

Been tempted to get some custom molded ones made at a booth at a major match, just never could bring myself to spend the money tough.

I use the rubber ones on a cord. I like them because you can adjust the sound attenuation by how far you shove them in your ears. For CAS, I just barely stick them in so I can still talk to people without a problem. If I'm at the rifle range, I push them it all the way.

Howdy

Nothing says you can't use muffs, but they don't look very cowboy when worn with a cowboy hat.

I buy the disposable foam plugs in the drug store or supermarket. Pretty much the same as the pink ones you showed. I think they run about $4 for a pack of ten pairs. They come in either salmon pink or mint green.

I disagree that custom made plugs are better. Over time, the shape of the ear canal changes. What might have been a good fit when they were made may not be such a good fit anymore. With foam plugs they completely conform to the shape of the ear canal, so now sound will sneak by them. Wear them once and throw them away. (Oh, I do have some pretty grotty looking ones in my cart if I run out.)

I had a pair of custom plugs made, I don't like them and never wear them. Particularly don't like the string running between them. The string tends to amplify noise and gets to be real annoying.

Orange foamies. I throw them out after a few uses because they start to lose their elasticity and I want a good tight fit. I don't mess around when it comes to my hearing. My dad is nearly deaf. Tinnitus is driving him crazy He used to use .38 brass as hearing protection. Not real effective.

I used foam disposable type for years until I made the best investment ($45) of my life. I had a pair of custom ones made for me at a gun show. They are much more comfortable than the foam ones, and seem to be better at keeping out the noise. For proof of that, I sat 10 rows back from the speaker column at an Iron Maiden concert a few years back wearing those plugs and my ears did not ring at all afterwards! I used to be young and stupid and loved and enjoyed the eye watering volume at concerts. Now I am old and stupid, but I do remember to take earplugs to concerts. At those volumes, the music sounds great even with earplugs!

Can't afford the fancier custom plugs....so I use the foamies, they work just fine....cheap too.

Plus I'd probably lose the good ones anyway

GG ~ :FlagAm:

My Dad used a pair of (unfired) .45 ACP ball rounds for his ears but he was half deaf from being a FA officer in WW II and I doubt what he used would have mattered that much; for the last years of his life all he shot was his 1911

I already have tinnitus and don't want it any worse than it is and I checked out the specks on the different brands (and models within brands) and went with Howard Light foam plugs Orange and 33+DB they say I get the big boxes and hand them out at shoots to any that want them or to spectators that are without.

+1 on the El Cheapo Foamies (no cord)

To clean just put them in your shirt pocket after the match and forget to take them out before washing your shirt.:lol:

They get real clean in the washing machine. I do not recommend the dryer though. Too hot.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Foam plugs generally have a higher decibel rating than the molded ones. I get a box and use them for shooting, chainsaw work, etc. I don't find them uncomfortable at all.

I got my plugs years ago when I shot registered skeet and I've long since forgot who made them. They are rubber and very flexible with a series of baffles on a central shaft. You use a hard plastic straw to insert the plug deep into your ear canal and a stem of the plug is left hanging out for removal. Very effective at sound reduction. I would like to buy some more if I ever could think of the make and model. Smithy.

It's easy for me. I lost 50% of my hearing to measeles. Hearing aids will cut out at a safe range. Just wear them and it drives some to's nuts with me having a conversation with them.

Shenny

As a professional musician, I take my hearing VERY seriously, (and I suggest you all do, too!) so I spring for custom-molded ear plugs. I find they are much more effective at supressing sound, and they are endlessly more comfortable than the foam one-size-fits-all variety. I'm on my second pair in ten years, which makes it a pretty cheap investment.

And I'll be able to hear my grandkids laughter.

Cheers,

FJT

Try using the swimmer ear plugs, they are wax and disposable after each use if you desire, they can be used untill they become stiff and are not very expensive.

Try using the swimmer ear plugs, they are wax and disposable after each use if you desire, they can be used untill they become stiff and are not very expensive.

plus 1, island Girl got me ta wearin these 5 er 6 years ago an I convinced they are tha best. They never get loose and are quieter than any I've used.

RRR

I like the do-it-yourself 'custom' molded ones. You mix the two parts together and stuff it in your ear. Once it sets, you have a reusable earplug that is more effective than the foam ones and comfortable to wear all day.

I found mine at a local store, but here are some for sale at amazon.

I have done that like 3 times and find they do not work as well as the toss a way foams or the GI tripple flange.

Having infantry ears I am pretty anal about protecting what is left.

I may just be screwing up the process, but think not.

I use my $3,600 Starkey J13 Cierra Hearing Aids

I reach up and turn them off just before I'm ready to shoot. It's bad enough that I'm just about Deaf without having them.. but with the addition of turning them off all I can hear is a slight "phuff" (don't know if that's the correct spelling or not), even when I touch off my 12ga Stage Coach.

Single Action Six

I have used custom in ear plugs for many years. I may give them up as I have heard of several friends that have gotten ear infections from them. The throw away foam ones provide better protection anyway.

infections

I use the 3M E-A-R corded NR25. I like the baffles becuse I can hear normal conversation without removal. The Howard Light Orange foam plugs have about the best rating, 33+DB. Good Luck

Jefro :ph34r:

http://www.criticaltool.com/howard-leight-max-earplugs-max-1.html

At between $25 (this outfit) to $20 for 200 pair (my last batch from MSC supply on sale inc shipping) it is hard to go wrong with these

I prefer this type I always called them "Sonic Ears", I can listen to normal conversations then they block out the loud stuff and my ears don't get that clogged up feeling like other earplugs do to me.

http://www.cabelas.c...%3Bcat104381280

Archived