SASS Wire Forum

Physical Disabilities

J.D.Ironsmith

It has always been the position of SASS that we should make any reasonable, safe accomodations we can for shooters with physical disabilities.

What is reasonable and safe must be determined by the match officials, and may be limiited by the range facilities.

When ever we have surveyed members with disabilities, the overwhelming majority has been opposed to a special category.

Wild Shot

AJ,My point was what you came back and said. I have many serious problems but I go on without most people knowing that anything is wrong. I pull targets, play TO and spot with the rest of the posse. But If a injured person ask for assistance and you give your smart answer you are still wrong. That person wants and deserves a chance to shoot. But you should allow them to ask and not just put them in a Stoved Up Cowboy class. Each person is different on how much pain they can endure. I was told of the shoe story at about age six. We were very poor and I was upset that I had old shoes and all the other kids had new ones. After hearing of the man with no feet it changed me for my entire life. I joined the military and became a cop to help others. I hope when I fall it is when I am helping others. I don't have to brag about being a man as I know who I am. The ones who brag are insecure and looking for attention.

Howdy, The Shadow Riders of Long Island NY will be putting Stove-Up Cowboy as a category for our club shoots as well as our annual match The Melee On The Bay Oct.21-23, 2011. The application for The Melee On The Bay will have a place to let us know what a pard my need to shoot the match. For the other shoots just contact us prior to the match and we will try our best to have you shoot with us. Looking forward to meeting you all on the range. Regards, Deacon Henry

If I shot as a "Senior" and won my category would I be DQ'd for shooting out of category, since I have a disability?

Of course...We can't have ringers like you in this game...You might give us a bad name...

Texas Lizard

Who will shoot any category he thinks he can do...Safely of course...And most of all, have FUN...

AJ,My point was what you came back and said. I have many serious problems but I go on without most people knowing that anything is wrong. I pull targets, play TO and spot with the rest of the posse. But If a injured person ask for assistance and you give your smart answer you are still wrong. That person wants and deserves a chance to shoot. But you should allow them to ask and not just put them in a Stoved Up Cowboy class. Each person is different on how much pain they can endure. I was told of the shoe story at about age six. We were very poor and I was upset that I had old shoes and all the other kids had new ones. After hearing of the man with no feet it changed me for my entire life. I joined the military and became a cop to help others. I hope when I fall it is when I am helping others. I don't have to brag about being a man as I know who I am. The ones who brag are insecure and looking for attention.

I just look at it this way. As long as the "intro" paperwork, flyers, etc from the club say

"folks with disabilities will be accommodated" or some such, the onus is upon the stove up shooter to decide if he wants help. I have a couple of pards that are pretty well deaf, especially with plugs in, yet as TO I would only ASK "Can you hear the timer", never tell em they need a tap on ths shoulder, etc. Let them have the respect of being grown people able to ask if they need help. (Kinda like down at the hardware, ya want help when ya want help, ya don't want folks crawlin all over ya tryin to help.....)

On the flip side, if on a good day I'll drag the big steel around without breakin a sweat, but on another day ya see me only picking up the lightweight stands, I suppose if ya really need to know, maybe my neck or lower back or knee (or some combination therof) is on fire and I just can't do the heavy lifting. But mostly I just do what I can, when I can, and don't get sideways about somebody else's opinion of that. But if I felt my neck couldn't take the shotgun on a given day, I'd just walk through the stage with the gun, point it and yell "bang", and take the misses. No special category needed, since the scores will take care of that......

We have two shooters who are in wheelchairs.

One was paralyzed in an auto accident when he was a teen ager. He's in his late 20's now and a very good shooter. The only thing that causes him problems is when there is movement and he's still pretty fast. He's so good that we tease him that we're going to put a stick in the spokes of his wheelchair to slow him down.

The other is more elderly and he has a lot of problems with control of his right arm. He is a good shot but extremely slow. Some members were suggesting we change the stages for him but when he found out about it he raised a fuss. He didn't want to be treated any differently. He knows he will always finish last in every stage but he's just glad he can still shoot.

We do have a stage called "Gophers in the Garden" which we shoot two or three times a year which is NOT timed but is scored on how many gophers (pieces of pipe) are knocked over. He does very well on that stage.

SCG

All you have to do is ask. You are your own person. I don't feel the same each day either at this bend in the trail. We offer assistance to all. If it's too hot/cold, the spine is twisted etc. I'll bow out in a match and do what I can to help. Safety and good health is what's important. Being able to come back again is important to me not how well I did on any given day. Deacon Henry

Guest Copper Mart

I have come to count myself as among those who are relatively disabled. Various ailments all make it difficult for me most days. Medications help some, but I've got to be careful there and pay close attention to how they are affecting me on any given day. I've settled on running the unloading table (folding stool is my salvation), some spotting and pulling ropes to reset knock downs, etc.. Although I'm ROII qualified I simply can't stand there and run a timer (which gaffs me no end). The pain is just too much.

A special class? Hell no. I come to shoot with the rest of the cowpokes and as long as I can drag my Elder Statesman body to the firing line and feel the tap on the shoulder, I'll continue to do so. I may be slow, but I take a certain amount of pride and satisfaction in what I do. If I'm no longer able to shoot I'll most likely take a chair and be the permanent scorer. (I'll be the guy in the rocking chair with the really big umbrella and the cooler.)

Mart...

Over the past 5-6 years my left hip progressively got more painful and I could do less as time went on. The last time I shot was in 2009. I asked to shoot last in my posse and I had all kinds of help to stage my guns, pick brass, step up a step or two on a stage, etc. That way I wasn't holding anyone up to speak of and I still had the fun of shooting. Last year things were just too bad for me to shoot at all even if I did have willing pards to help me.

I just got a new Birmingham Hip 10 days ago and now I'm looking forward to shooting again.

Being all gimped up isn't fun. But, there are pards that would like to shoot and hate to ask for anything special. Having the Stoved Up category might solve the problem here and there. But, just making a few concessions based on the individual is about all you might need to do. Instead of climbing up on the stage coach... stand next to it. That sort of thing.

Just some ideas.

Doc

Hi JD,

It is really difficult to make a category fit all. For some, it's leg/knee/hip and others it's hand/arm/shoulder. There is a big difference in potential accommodations.

We had a woman on our posse at Gunfight Behind the Jersey Lily who only shot pistols at pistol targets. She was a joy to be around. I think she was the only person in the official "Stove Up" category. I'm not sure how that would compare with someone who was shooting all targets in that category.

Sometimes accommodations are needed but not a separate category. For example, after breaking my arm, I needed help staging my long guns, as carrying two at a time was difficult for a few matches. When Hubby's neuropathy was first happening, he tried shooting pistols at all targets as he would AD a lever rifle. That would require a separate category. Then, he bought a Lightening and could shoot in a regular category. Unfortunately, he can't shoot at all anymore.

I agree with those who have said that the best thing is for anyone with a disability to talk to the MD or club president. However, I'm not sure that is an easy thing to do. It might be easier for folks if the clubs advertised in their annual match fliers and on their Websites something to the effect that there was such a category. Maybe, "Contact so and so for details about accommodations for people with disabilities" would be an encouragement. Then, depending on the responses, the MD could determine what action was needed.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hi JD,

It is really difficult to make a category fit all. For some, it's leg/knee/hip and others it's hand/arm/shoulder. There is a big difference in potential accommodations.

We had a woman on our posse at Gunfight Behind the Jersey Lily who only shot pistols at pistol targets. She was a joy to be around. I think she was the only person in the official "Stove Up" category. I'm not sure how that would compare with someone who was shooting all targets in that category.

Sometimes accommodations are needed but not a separate category. For example, after breaking my arm, I needed help staging my long guns, as carrying two at a time was difficult for a few matches. When Hubby's neuropathy was first happening, he tried shooting pistols at all targets as he would AD a lever rifle. That would require a separate category. Then, he bought a Lightening and could shoot in a regular category. Unfortunately, he can't shoot at all anymore.

I agree with those who have said that the best thing is for anyone with a disability to talk to the MD or club president. However, I'm not sure that is an easy thing to do. It might be easier for folks if the clubs advertised in their annual match fliers and on their Websites something to the effect that there was such a category. Maybe, "Contact so and so for details about accommodations for people with disabilities" would be an encouragement. Then, depending on the responses, the MD could determine what action was needed.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Sometimes, it's as simple as frame of mind. We have a shooter nearby who is a fragile diabetic with lots of issues, including bad feet. A couple of years ago we did a major facelift at the range, and this feller was there a lot, worked hard, etc. Then a day or two before our next match he says "I don't think I;ll be shooting. I can't get my boots on".

I said simply "get here with whatever your feet allow you to wear. Something besides white sneakers would be best, but if that;s what ya got that ya can stand on yer feet, wear them."

He stopped on the way home and bought brown leather "sneakers", and was able to shoot every match that reamained on the schedule, sometimes with boots, sometimes with his "adaptive" footwear.

To my knowledge nobody ever questioned him, but if they had, the MD would have allowed his use of "adaptive" footwear.

Sometimes the range design itself precludes some "mobility challenged" shooters from participating. One range that I can't shoot at is "Tin Star". It is a neat range but having to climb several steps to each stage is just too difficult.

JD:

re: "By all means make allowances, but let them determine what they need."

as one of those 'afflikted' this comment serves my own issues very well.

As far as 'level playing field', that is a notion barren of the hard edges of reality.

Life itself is neither 'level' nor a 'playing field'. We can do the best we can with what we got as long as we can. It's either fun or it ain't. It's either safe or it ain't.

That I personally can participate to the best of my ability, is satisfaction.

That I can 'compete' with any but the boundaries of my own realm, is an unnecessary illusion.

I appreciate the concern any MD has in considering what to do. Primarily just the understanding that a word from either participant or MD in such circumstance is enough to resolve most issues before they become a Big Deal.

"Opportunity" IS the leveler, IMHO.

Frankly, the occasional inconveniences of on-range SASS issues are far more pleasant than the off-range world.

As one of those that used ta be "Handy-capped", "Physically Challenged","Mobility impared",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, "Dis-abled" ,,, I want no part in a special class fer what I prefer to consider "Stove-up Cowfolk" .....

So I prefer to just shoot "MY" game ,,,, Big-bore and loud ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, And probley slower than most .....

Just my take on things ,,,, I could get a Handy-cap parking permit ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, But don't !!!!

I prefer that those I want to know of my limititations, be those that know ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, t'ain't any-body elses concern ....

If I ask ya to get my "puffer" or help me stand ,,,,,, Please DO then treat me the same as any other Cowboy ...

Jabez Cowboy

Just for the record, I am not in favor of a special class that you will be put in against your will. I never have been as pride will put many a good man down. My entire postings was that yes Allie MO it would be hard to make a class for every one. My feelings are that you ask if you see a person having problems as it could cause a very serious problem. You show compassion and YOU DON"T TELL THEM WHERE TO FIND THE CRYIN TOWELS. That is what set me off.If a person wants to and can shoot a stage in a safe manner then we should help. That was the entire meaning with my posting. I find that my Southern meanings don't always read as well as written or the reverse of that. We have a pard who is stricken with a very special medical problem and he steps up to the line and shoots. He does it his way and is usually last but he shoots.If he was to ask every member would stand up for him and give what help is needed. This past Saturday we had a shooting stage that required the sitting on a 55 gal drum mounted on Springs with a saddle. Because of my problems I am unable to mount the drum. As I came to the line every spotter and the TO said Fairshake you may shoot from the side. Nice Guys

I recall a match with the coolest horse in the world, a huge rocking horse that took several steps to get up onto. Huge horse. The ladies with skirts were informed that we could shoot from the side. (trip hazard as the horse was on the clock) My response was "You might see some leg, but I'm shooting from that horse." Now that's not a true reflection of someone with a real serious issue, but I think I understand where most of our non-spry pards are coming from. Even if I lost some time against the ladies that opted to shoot from the side, I was going to do the full deal because I know I can. I understand being cautious with skirts, I shot for 2 years in pants before I got comfortable with managing petticoats and a skirt, even on the ground. I didn't care that someone might have a little time on me by shooting from the ground. DOING it is what matters. I get that.

Just for the record, I am not in favor of a special class that you will be put in against your will. I never have been as pride will put many a good man down. My entire postings was that yes Allie MO it would be hard to make a class for every one. My feelings are that you ask if you see a person having problems as it could cause a very serious problem. You show compassion and YOU DON"T TELL THEM WHERE TO FIND THE CRYIN TOWELS. That is what set me off.If a person wants to and can shoot a stage in a safe manner then we should help. That was the entire meaning with my posting. I find that my Southern meanings don't always read as well as written or the reverse of that. We have a pard who is stricken with a very special medical problem and he steps up to the line and shoots. He does it his way and is usually last but he shoots.If he was to ask every member would stand up for him and give what help is needed. This past Saturday we had a shooting stage that required the sitting on a 55 gal drum mounted on Springs with a saddle. Because of my problems I am unable to mount the drum. As I came to the line every spotter and the TO said Fairshake you may shoot from the side. Nice Guys

Fairshake, pard, ya misunderstood my meaning. I wouldn't go up to a feller who was complaining because his legs weren't working and say "cryin towels will be dispensed at the awards ceramony", but I would interject at a planning meeting that it is NOT the job of a MD/committee to anticipate every need and alleviate every human suffering a shooter might have. The shooters are big people and we ought to expect some degree of acceptance from those of us who will never outrun the faster of our agemates, etc. In other words, do what ya can to help, but expect that the pard who is afflicted will have to accept some of the experience as modified whether there is a special class or he and the TO or MD simply figure out how to adapt the stage as things play out. It is NOT our job to provide "special olympics" where everybody gets a medal. It is our job to put on a cowboy shoot, and do our best as needs evolve to help those wo need and ask for help.

Thaks for even bringing this topic up,,,, It shows that Yer heart is still working just fine ....

But most folks that is Challenged would rather just shoot the match like the rest of da folks, except for when they "Knowing" their own limitations need to ask for consideration in doing something they feel they can't safely do ...

At one shoot I was at, it called for the shooter to remove loaded rifle from scaboard, dismount from seat on the horse rifle in hand and move to wagon and crawl under it and engage 10 rifle targets ..... Then crawl out from under wagon with rifle and stage it in wagon bed ....

I asked for someone to hold my rifle while I got down on my belly (then hand it to me) and again for some help holding the rifle and a hand-up to my feet while exiting from under the wagon ..... I did that stage in one miniute and 43 seconds (it was 10 rifle from under the wagon ,10 pistol from the top of the gallows and 6 shotgun from the jail window ....

The toughest stage I ever shot but I did it ,,,,,,,, with a little help from my pards ....

Jabez Cowboy

My better half, Aimless Jane, is paralyzed on her right side due to a brain aneurism in 2001. She can no longer shoot long guns. We attended a regional in '02. I asked if I could shoot her long guns for her as her designated shooter & was told no. Their club officers "thought" it might give her an advantage. I then asked the md if she could just shoot the match with her pistols only and again was told no because it would just slow the posse down.

The problem was that the officers weren't thinking, or they would have realized how difficult it is for someone to all of a sudden go from shooting with their strong hand to shooting with their weak hand without a heck of a lot of practice. My being her designated long gun shooter would have given her no advantage at all. I started not to go at all but she said it was ok that she would enjoy watching the match from her wheelchair & visiting with folks. We went but the match was only half the fun for me. Needless to say, we have never been back to that regional & probably never will.

One thing all clubs can do is do NOT make the stages inaccessible to the stoveup cowboys & girls. Ie; If you want to build a replica of the Jersey Lilly Saloon to shoot from, or any building with a porch, put a wheel chair ramp on one end of the porch so those who must use a wheel chair or Lil Rascal type 3 wheel scooter can get up on the porch. Don't build a gallows with steps to get up to a shooting position. If you design a false front that the shooter must go through a door to get to the shooting station make sure the door is wide enough (36") for a power wheelchair to go through and that there is ample room to turn it around & come back out, or back out through the door safely. Even some of us who are able to walk & don't have to use a wheelchair have difficulty getting up & down stairs due to bad hips, knees or ankles. If you must have stairs make sure to put a hand rail on both sides. That is the problem with the Tin Star Ranch down in Fredericksberg, Tx. More than half the stages are buildings that you shoot inside of. The backs are open & targets are set behind the buildings. But you have to go up 5-7 steps to a porch & then go through the doors. It's very hard on those with difficulty walking and forget anyone that must use a wheelchair for mobility.

My better half, Aimless Jane, is paralyzed on her right side due to a brain aneurism in 2001. She can no longer shoot long guns. We attended a regional in '02. I asked if I could shoot her long guns for her as her designated shooter & was told no. Their club officers "thought" it might give her an advantage. I then asked the md if she could just shoot the match with her pistols only and again was told no because it would just slow the posse down.

The problem was that the officers weren't thinking, or they would have realized how difficult it is for someone to all of a sudden go from shooting with their strong hand to shooting with their weak hand without a heck of a lot of practice. My being her designated long gun shooter would have given her no advantage at all. I started not to go at all but she said it was ok that she would enjoy watching the match from her wheelchair & visiting with folks. We went but the match was only half the fun for me. Needless to say, we have never been back to that regional & probably never will.

One thing all clubs can do is do NOT make the stages inaccessible to the stoveup cowboys & girls. Ie; If you want to build a replica of the Jersey Lilly Saloon to shoot from, or any building with a porch, put a wheel chair ramp on one end of the porch so those who must use a wheel chair or Lil Rascal type 3 wheel scooter can get up on the porch. Don't build a gallows with steps to get up to a shooting position. If you design a false front that the shooter must go through a door to get to the shooting station make sure the door is wide enough (36") for a power wheelchair to go through and that there is ample room to turn it around & come back out, or back out through the door safely. Even some of us who are able to walk & don't have to use a wheelchair have difficulty getting up & down stairs due to bad hips, knees or ankles. If you must have stairs make sure to put a hand rail on both sides. That is the problem with the Tin Star Ranch down in Fredericksberg, Tx. More than half the stages are buildings that you shoot inside of. The backs are open & targets are set behind the buildings. But you have to go up 5-7 steps to a porch & then go through the doors. It's very hard on those with difficulty walking and forget anyone that must use a wheelchair for mobility.

Yikes!

I'm greatly saddened by hearing some of these stories. Another Bravo to the Cowboys for their "stove up" category. I shot with a shooter there was shooting pistols only. She only shot pistol targets. At one time hubby was trying to continue shooting and he shot rifle targets with pistols at a monthly. I know the Cowboys would accomodate him.

I hope that more MDs consider that SASS encourages helping folks with disabilities shoot and this becomes more common.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I didn't realize quite how controversial this topic would be...

I am sure some will find fault with how I have set things up... but here is how I have proposed to deal with this issue at our shoots.

Strait Shooter's Disabled Shooter's Page

I tried to leave it up to the shooter how THEY wanted to deal with it...

JD,,, Pard

I like what you have done !!!

Good Work .... Perhaps I will make to your club someday .... Thanks ...

Jabez Cowboy

So long as my ever-more-creaky RA adled body will allow, I would not wish to shoot in a special Disabled category personally. As so many others have noted, disabilities range all over the map in terms of severity, and what have you, so it seems nearly impossible to relagate all that into one equitable category.

Truthfully, I've never had a problem with just saying, "sorry, I can't do that," when necessary, nor have I seen any issues folks with a whole variety of ailments have had, so long as reasonable accomodations are made - and they always are as long as I've doing this.

When the time inevitably comes that I can't do it more or less "as written," I suspect I will bow out and call it a day. But that is just a personal preference.

It is a good idea to have this discussion though - most CA-shooters aren't getting any younger, and no small number of us are "compromised" one way or the other already, regardless of age!

I come out to shoot, a Stiff Finger is the least of my disabilities, two lung surgeries, lung disease, open heart surgery, a pacemaker,and a hip replacement. My posse looks out for me or maybe watches over me. They encourage me to "BREATHE--BREATHE" as I shoot, they tell me when they think I need to sit down and take a break. I know that if I am having a bad "air day" I will hang up my guns, keep score, spot, pick up brass or work the unloading table. I come out because I refuse to concentrate on all that are wrong with me. I come out because I want to live as near "normal" life as possible (when you are still playing cowboys at 60.) And my pards have always been there to encourage and support. I don't want a special class, just stages I can get to and don't have to run a city block to shoot all of it. My friendships I have developed in the club make it the greatest event for me. Most clubs I have been around will make anyone welcome and in the spirit of the game, help them get up to the line to shoot. I am not the fastest, but I am the guy standing out there with the biggest smile on his face framed by my gray handle bar mustache.

Stiff Finger

I come out to shoot, a Stiff Finger is the least of my disabilities, two lung surgeries, lung disease, open heart surgery, a pacemaker,and a hip replacement. My posse looks out for me or maybe watches over me. They encourage me to "BREATHE--BREATHE" as I shoot, they tell me when they think I need to sit down and take a break. I know that if I am having a bad "air day" I will hang up my guns, keep score, spot, pick up brass or work the unloading table. I come out because I refuse to concentrate on all that are wrong with me. I come out because I want to live as near "normal" life as possible (when you are still playing cowboys at 60.) And my pards have always been there to encourage and support. I don't want a special class, just stages I can get to and don't have to run a city block to shoot all of it. My friendships I have developed in the club make it the greatest event for me. Most clubs I have been around will make anyone welcome and in the spirit of the game, help them get up to the line to shoot. I am not the fastest, but I am the guy standing out there with the biggest smile on his face framed by my gray handle bar mustache.

Stiff Finger

Sir,

I take my hat off to you, :)

JD:

I ain't sure whether "afflikted" "stove up" or "non-spry" is the best category for me to use but fitting in there somewhere I appreciate your posts and the page you created identifying the remedy. Well done!!!

.....course the REAL problem as I see it relates to a game that has A) spotters to tell ya how many ya missed; and B) a TIMER of all things to track how long it took to miss 'em!!!.....

....don't 'speck that'll be solved enny time soon though...

Meet ya down the trail....

Archived