SASS Wire Forum

RCBS Lockout Die vs Dillon Powder Check

Long Branch Louie

I've been using a Hornady LNL press and I'm switching to a Dillon 650 for cowboy stuff. On the Hornady, I always used an RCBS lockout die to detect no charge/double charge, as added insurance. Is anybody using an RCBS lockout in a Dillon? Does the Dillon powder check work well? Trying to decide whether to buy the Dillon or put the RCBS in the 650. I'm keeping the Hornady because it is much faster to changeover for short runs of different calibers.

I've been using a Hornady LNL press and I'm switching to a Dillon 650 for cowboy stuff. On the Hornady, I always used an RCBS lockout die to detect no charge/double charge, as added insurance. Is anybody using an RCBS lockout in a Dillon? Does the Dillon powder check work well? Trying to decide whether to buy the Dillon or put the RCBS in the 650. I'm keeping the Hornady because it is much faster to changeover for short runs of different calibers.

I use a lockout die on the 550. In addition, I use RCBS dies in all the other stations, as well. Works well. Don't know if it will work on the 650 if you are using Dillon dies in all the other stations.

RCBS lockout die for me on 550 and 650. Very positive and pretty darn sensitive to a bad charge.

Good luck, GJ

Louie I used an RCBS lockout on a 4x4 coversion before I went back to using a SDB. If/when I upgrade to a 550/650 I will use it again but for now loading BP I visually inspect each case before the bullet is seated. Sure was a shock when the lockout die did its thing the first time.

Louie I used an RCBS lockout on a 4x4 coversion before I went back to using a SDB. If/when I upgrade to a 550/650 I will use it again but for now loading BP I visually inspect each case before the bullet is seated. Sure was a shock when the lockout die did its thing the first time.

Yeah, it shocked me too! I had some trouble with the powder drop sticking on my LNL and that lockout die saved me from some empties. I pay attention when I reload, but you can't see everything and it's good to have checks in place...

I use the Dillon powder check die and am pleased with it, at least with Trailboss, it alerts on anymore then a tenth of a grain high or low. However if you are running very small batches with different calibers or loads, you would need to spend 5 minutes or so adjusting the powder check

Has anyone out there had experience with the Hornady lock out die? I'm considering one for my Hornady set-up.

Hornady does not have a lockout die like the RCBS, they have the Powder Cop. It simply uses a white O-Ring on a post that rises to where you set it. It's just a visible check and not a lockout. It works fine for me.

Archived