SASS Wire Forum

SKB

Prairie Dog

FOr one thing, the fore end grip (wood) is different.

The 100 has a thinner (splinter) grip.

The 200 has a larger grip that works better for black powder.

Both are very popular for CAS.

You may want to call and talk to someone like Goatneck Clem (Fred Bursey) about technical details. I can tell you I have both the SKB 100 and 200, and 200 is a heavier gun all around. Both work very well for CAS. I have found I tend to lean toward the 200 as the higher weight helps with perceived recoil.

Forearm as has been stated, and the 200 has split ejectors, the 150 has single ejector, the 100 is extractor only. 280 is straight grip with ejectors. The receiver group is the same on all, but there were several variations through the years.

On the 200 the wood in the forearm is larger and so is the steel components needed to secure the forend. The beavertail forend on the 200 also has auto ejectors and small activators that need to be removed to be SASS legal .The stock normally has a "shield" at the receiver and that makes for a slightly heavier gun as well. The 200 when race ready will weigh about 6-8ozs. more than the 100 with the pistol grip almost always being slightly larger. The 100 is fast and sleek, the 200 is fast, . Bigger guys with bigger hands and BP shooters like the 200. Few shooters will run a 200 faster than Nuttin Graceful, few will run the 100 faster than Fast Eddie, it's all about what feels right. Balance is everything

As a former SKB collector they are very fine guns far ahead of their time and still so today. Only drawback is finding parts. Black chrome on barrels outside and chrome lined inside the barrels. Wood to metal fit perfect.

Texas Man

I have a 100 with a beaver forearm. They made several different configurations. Most 100's are splinters forearms. Any of them make great shotguns for cowboying. NBC

Hey Dirt,

I'm a bit confused. My 100 has a beavertail forearm and a pistol grip. It has the thicker grip area that has been discussed I recently purchased another model 100(marked) with a splinter forearm/pistol grip and when I received it, the grip area was much more refined and narrower and was much more suited to my lady friend (new shooter). The engraving on my 100 had a fully engraved receiver, but the receiver on the second 100 had just a token of engraving on the receiver. The entire butt stock was thinner and more refined than my 100. When I first got it I almost thought I got a "youth" or "lady's" model. It worked out great for my purposes, but I'm not sure just why the differences. Both guns were marked "100" on the barrels. No biggie......they are both terrific.

Over the years there were many variations on both the model 100's and 200's.

I have 200's with splinter forearms and 100's with beavertail forearms.

It seems to me that a lot of the older Ithaca SKB's and the SKB Royals came with

thinner stocks in the grip area. I've had both 100's and 200's with straight stocks.

I haven't found any that weren't a pleasure to shoot, even the two double trigger

one's that I have.

Johnny M.

Persimmon Dan your beaver forearm 100 is probally a newer model. I have one just as you discribed black with alot of engraving. NBC

Hey Dirt,

I'm a bit confused. My 100 has a beavertail forearm and a pistol grip. It has the thicker grip area that has been discussed I recently purchased another model 100(marked) with a splinter forearm/pistol grip and when I received it, the grip area was much more refined and narrower and was much more suited to my lady friend (new shooter). The engraving on my 100 had a fully engraved receiver, but the receiver on the second 100 had just a token of engraving on the receiver. The entire butt stock was thinner and more refined than my 100. When I first got it I almost thought I got a "youth" or "lady's" model. It worked out great for my purposes, but I'm not sure just why the differences. Both guns were marked "100" on the barrels. No biggie......they are both terrific.

I called SKB a few weeks ago. They have the parts in stock if I wanted to switch to the beavertail on my 100. When I got my parts to fix mine, they sent a flier saying they found like 7000 pieces of New Old Stock stocks. Only part they didnt have was the butt stock.

You can see a few diferences here on their parts breakdowns.

http://www.skbshotguns.com/parts-and-wood/side-by-side/sxs-schematic.php

http://www.skbshotguns.com/parts-and-wood/side-by-side/sxs-12-ga-parts.php

Archived