SASS Wire Forum

BP Shooters, I'm doing a poll/survey so chime in here

Iron Pony

Figure this is a good place to get some quick information and am looking to get input from BP cartridge shooters so here are the questions..

1. Do you cast your own bullets or buy them commercially?

2. Approx how many a year/season do you go through?

Thanks

CAST MY OWN MOSTLY.

USE ABOUT 2000 A YEAR IN 45 AND 44-40. ALSO GO THOUGHT ABOUT 1200 TO 1300 ROUND IN NRA BPCR AND 300 TO 400 IN LONG RANGE MUZZLELOADING MATCH, ALL OF WHICH I CAST.

I cast all my own bullets....Lyman 454190 for the .45 Colt leveraction rifle,

and I use 0.375 round balls in my 1851 .36 caliber Navy Colt Clones.

I use reclaimed wheelweight metal for all bullets, and use my own mix of 90/10

beeswax/olive oil for bullet lube.

Although pretty hard for a percussion revolover, the Wheelweight .375 balls swedge into

the cylinder chamber mouths of my revolvers just fine, and they shoot great.

I cast maybe only 1000 rounds of rifle bullets each year, and probly twice that many

pistol balls. I don't practice between matches and only shoot several monthly shoots

and usually one or two "regional" shoots outside Alaska each year.

Bp

6500 rounds a year of BP bullets, cast my own.

Another 10,000 rounds of smokeless bullets, cast my own (stupid, I guess).

(That's for two shooters)

GJ

Howdy Pard

You know I cast my own.

I generally sit down for a day or two on a weekend in the fall when the weather has cooled down and get all my casting for the year done in one swell foop. I think I usually cast up around 1000 PRS 250 grain 45s, around 1000 Mav-Dutchman 44s, and around 500 J/P 45-200 every year. This year I just about used up all my Mav-Dutches, and because I was shooting more Scofields than 45 Colt in my pistols I had about 475 PRS left over but no J/P 45-200s, which I put in my Schofield rounds.

I ran downstairs to check, just for you, and I have 555 PRS, 600 J/P 45-200,and 1085 Mav-Dutchmans sitting waiting to be sized and lubed in addition to 250 Mav-Dutchmans already sized and lubed. Looks like I gotta get off my butt and start lubing and sizing. Then I have to stuff them all into cartridges.

Ain't Black Powder fun?

I do not cast bullets.

A, I am too clumsy to fool with molten metal and ..

B. I already have enough lead in my system.

;)

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

I do not cast bullets... skeert of lead poisonin'. Over the years, had some lead pay short visits whilst passin' through... just glad (and hope) none of it claimed squatter's rights.

Bought a passel of lead .375 and .457's at Midway couple of years ago. (I think that was the sizes.)

Don't shoot SASS with 'em... just sit out on the porch mostly... shootin' my '51's towards Beltway DC... so only use 'bout 3 to 400 a year.

ts

Howdy!

1. Buy them commercially

2. Probably use around 500-1000/year

Why not put Innocent Bystander to work? :P

As to the question it is yes I cast,and for CAS matches I use the Big Lube bullets and for long range a variety of bullets that some I buy and some I cast.

Well...

1. Do you cast your own bullets or buy them commercially? I buy my bullets cast as is. I then sort, lube and size them. Cheapest price for the exact bullet I use, wins the deal.

2. Approx how many a year/season do you go through? Lets see.... I use probably about 3000 a year between matchs and practice/plinking.

I dont case, I bought 3000 125gr 38s Saterday at Lake Charles.

Only one load and one bullet that I cast myself, a 200 grain Lee bullet. Anywhere between 500 - 1000 per year for SASS. Just starting Wild Bunch, but I'll probably buy my loads for that game. Smithy.

I cast .380 roundball because my Uberti Navy likes them, ... so all my Navys get them .... an' no-one sells them in that size.

I loaned my JP200.45 mold to a guy who makes them for others, ... an' me too :)

...... all are soft lead.

ps ..... I have no idea how many :blush:

I no longer shoot anything but have shot CAS for years.

BP/Sub APP for powder in everything. Cheepest BP I could find in shotgun.

Started casting my own bullets years ago simply due to cost. Cast all my own and size them. Used same bullet in all .45 loads, .452 dia LRNFP, 45 spc, 45 colt, 45 acp, it worked and I founde I actialy enjoy casting.

Have no idea how many, varried from year to year, but a lot.

Greeenriver

Heee Haaa..Iron Pony

When I first started I use to buy the bullits,melt the hard lube out ,pan lube.. :unsure:

Now I cast My Own.I have (2)Mav Dutchman Big Lube 44 molds, JP45-200 Big lube mold , EPP-UG 150 big lube Mold.. ^_^

Plus it use to cost alot to get 50 Lyman 535 gr.459 bullits for my 45-70 sharps :o For about the price of 100 of the 535 gr bullits I bought the Mold ;)

Heee Haaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

I cast everything for both Savannah and I with the exception of a few moly 90grs which I get from Slick MaCade. Usually about 5000 give or take a year. I purchase my lead and don't buy anything made with wheel weights. Cast EPP-UG .44s, 125gr .38s, 158gr .38s, 220gn .45acps, and just started playing with 1 oz slugs for 12ga loads. Fact is I just did 12 to try. Going to shot a couple this weekend and see how the do. Don't ask my why? Saw some and just wanted to shoot a few.

Springfield Slim sells me 44-40 & .45 Big Lube bullets - 3k to 6k per year. I used to cast, but it's too easy to put a check in the mail and get the Big Lubes back. I buy locally from a pard who casts the 160gr .45 for my bride's guns, about 3k/yr

I ran some startup numbers in case I wanted to start casting again. Break even with the equipment I want is ewnough years down the road that I decided against it. Might change my mind after retirement, time won't be so hard to come by!

CR

I buy commercially-cast bullets and shoot them with Triple-7. I don't have time to cast. When I retire this may change. I go through thousands. I don't know how many get shot with BP-sub and how many get shot with smokeless. When the loading supplies get low I just buy 5,000 more.

I buy them form a little known outfit called Slim-Pony...you might know 'em ;) . Excellent projectiles and lube! They are sized .452

There is a local CAS pard that has made some up for me to try sized to .454. If it works out it will be 50/50 between my current supplier and local pard. My usage is expected to increase double from last year so I expect Slim-Pony to still maintain the same amount of business I did last year. It isn't much compared to others, but I'm workin' on it. :lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Used to cast bullets and fishing sinkers, leadheads, etc. Just got tired of doing it.

Buy all my bullets now even tho I have the time to cast.

I use about 5,000 cast bullets a year between CAS & Bullseye shooting.

I don't cast, I don't have the ability to living in a condo complex and would not be inclined to anyway.

So I cheat and use Triple 777 in my cartridges.

No time to cast until I retire, so I purchase them at this time.

Around 2500-3000 big lube boolits plus a number of round balls.

I also purchase 1000 or so smokeless bullets

--Dawg

Usually cast 5 to 7 thousand in the early fall, 200gr & 165gr. 44s biglube straight wheel weights, along with misc. calibers to play with for big bore and smaller stuff. Like using Springfields Slim's stuff too. :) Sometimes buy plumbers sheet pan lead to mix with tin for softer alloy. Always looking for lead products besides wheelweights.Have a close by Tire shop that I trade with for oil changes and tires, misc repairs and usually can get a bucket of wheelweights from them. Utilizing any angle I can for lead. :ph34r:

p.s., Did scratch lead from auto batteries off the list as a no win situation. :rolleyes:

Archived