SASS Wire Forum

True one piece wood grips for Colt

Barbwire Bill, SASS #661

Does anyone know a good place to get true one piece grips? Not the ones where they glue a spacer between two panels, but grips cut from a single piece of wood or even the fake ivory material.

Thanks,

BB

If you can find someone to make them, they won't be cheap. I made a set like that once. It's very time consuming (hence expensive).

Howdy Bill! I don't know about the "true" part but I know of a guy that specializes in one-piece pistol grips. I am not computer savy enough to put up the link but if you type in Klamathriverwoodworks.com you will see his web site and samples of his work and types of grip materal available (mostly wood-but he has antler and can perhaps get ivory). He has made grips for my main match pistols and an 1860 Army clone BP pistol from American Holly. This wood looks remarkably like ivory, grain and all. And they are wood--IMHO wood beats plastic/synthetic any day of the week. This guy is an artist and his turn around time is very reasonable. Check him (Bryan) out, you won't be sorry!!!

Always remember: you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him float!

Reguards-- S.G. :D

Dixie Gun Works advertises "One Piece Walnut" grip blanks. they are rough shaped and you have to do the finish work. (It does not say it is 2 piece/spacer, but ONE piece) one thing is the price is right. only $4.75 a pair.

good shootin

curley

Dixie Gun Works advertises "One Piece Walnut" grip blanks. they are rough shaped and you have to do the finish work. (It does not say it is 2 piece/spacer, but ONE piece) one thing is the price is right. only $4.75 a pair.

good shootin

curley

These are quite nice, but do take a good bit of finishing work. Just do one step at a time and you can have a nice inexpensive addition to your Colt or clone. They are one piece without a spacer. What is wrong with the spacer?

Here's a link for faux Ivory and real Ivory (including mammoth) as well as other exotics, but their bread and butter is the faux Ivory which they do very well. I had a pair made for a custom birdshead gripped ROA I had made and it came out perfect. http://www.truivory.com/ If you send them only the back and fore strap, keeping the rest of the gun and screws at home they make their grips out of one single piece with no fitting required by you and their prices are reasonable for such custom work. Smithy.

I'm about 95% sure that all of the listed grips above are not true 1-piece, but instead glued up with a spacer.

A true 1-piece grip would be made from a single block and carved out. I would prefer to do it with a milling machine. I did a set on a drill press with an x/y table and vice. It's not easy, and has to be precise.

I've not heard of anyone actually making a true 1-piece grip. They all use 2 panels and a spacer. The glued joints in this system are stronger than the grip would be if cut out from 1 block of wood.

I am also pretty sure that Colt originally made the grips out of 2 panels and a spacer and they were not true 1-piece grips.

Sorry, Doc. The grips from Dixie Gun Works are one piece. They appear to be made on some type of woodworking duplicator. The original Colt walnut grips were also true one piece grips. I had a pair years ago that came off a 1st Gen Colt.

Howdy Bill! I don't know about the "true" part but I know of a guy that specializes in one-piece pistol grips. I am not computer savy enough to put up the link but if you type in Klamathriverwoodworks.com you will see his web site and samples of his work and types of grip materal available (mostly wood-but he has antler and can perhaps get ivory). He has made grips for my main match pistols and an 1860 Army clone BP pistol from American Holly. This wood looks remarkably like ivory, grain and all. And they are wood--IMHO wood beats plastic/synthetic any day of the week. This guy is an artist and his turn around time is very reasonable. Check him (Bryan) out, you won't be sorry!!!

Always remember: you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him float!

Reguards-- S.G. :D

+1 on the Holly grips. They really come out pretty.

Archived