SASS Wire Forum

Question About Texas

Marshal Max Henry

I have the Coolest Wife, she is Libertarian, very political minded. We live in Orlando Florida and she was watching STossel or Hannity I cant remember but They spoke of Texas and Succession. Now she wants to move there, God love her We are looking at 20 acre lots (I may talk her into more in order to raise some cattle but. What really excited me is Becomeing a Border Patrol. I have never been a COp but I am a Former Marine SGt, Which i think will help getting a job but Are there any Texas Border Patrol on here that could explain the process for me and MOST importantly ...What SASS friendly ranges are near Bexar County?

Thanx for any help

Much Obliged,

M. Maxwell Henry

I have the Coolest Wife, she is Libertarian, very political minded. We live in Orlando Florida and she was watching STossel or Hannity I cant remember but They spoke of Texas and Succession. Now she wants to move there, God love her We are looking at 20 acre lots (I may talk her into more in order to raise some cattle but. What really excited me is Becomeing a Border Patrol. I have never been a COp but I am a Former Marine SGt, Which i think will help getting a job but Are there any Texas Border Patrol on here that could explain the process for me and MOST importantly ...What SASS friendly ranges are near Bexar County?

Thanx for any help

Much Obliged,

M. Maxwell Henry

Clubs in San Antonio:

Alamo Area Moderators 1st Sat

San Antonio Rough Riders 3rd Sat

Nearby:

Texican Rangers (Fredricksburg) 2nd week end (Sat & Sun)

Green Mountain Regulatore (Marble Falls) 4th week end.

There are no Texas state border patrol agents, they are all Federal. Here's the info: http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/

Clubs in San Antonio:

Alamo Area Moderators 1st Sat

San Antonio Rough Riders 3rd Sat

Nearby:

Texican Rangers (Fredricksburg) 2nd week end (Sat & Sun)

Green Mountain Regulatore (Marble Falls) 4th week end.

There are no Texas state border patrol agents, they are all Federal. Here's the info: http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/

:FlagAm: Also South Texas Pistolaros (My club) on 1st Saturday in Bexar County San Antonio: ( http://www.stxpistolaros.com/ ). We shoot at A Place To Shoot on the south central side of San Antonio. :FlagAm:

Succession and secession are two entirely different things.

Didn't work out too good for Texas and her sister Southern states the last time we tried it in 1861-1865. Things would have to get a WHOLE lot worse for me to favor secession nowadays. Just not a good idea for anyone and is just an idle fantasy for some folks. Oh sure Governor Good Hair Rick Perry did make news by mentioning secession last year he was just "fooling about". What he really wants to do is run for POTUS even tho he is constantly denying it.

I do believe we could whup fahr outta them blasted bluebellies this time around!! Just not gonna ever happen.

Difference between yankees and damn yankees:

yankees went home.

Don't know your age but a friend of mine could not apply because he was within 3 months or his 40th birthday and the Border Patrol don't want "old" folks applying. I live 8 miles from the Border so we have a bunch of them down here. I don't happen to have any personal friends who are BP but I do know a cowboy shooter who is either retired Customs or BP.

Dream Chaser

This is what "they" say at the U.S. Border Patrol website:

"Who are we looking for?

We are looking for candidates interested in preventing terrorists and terrorist weapons from entering the United States; detecting and preventing the smuggling and unlawful entry of undocumented aliens into the United States; and apprehending those people found to be in violation of the immigration laws.

Do you qualify?

Applicants must meet the following requirements:

be under age 40 unless you are a qualified Veterans’ Preference eligible candidate or have previous Federal law enforcement experience

be a U.S. citizen and resident of the U.S.

be fluent in Spanish or be able to learn the Spanish language

possess a valid state driver’s license

pass a thorough background investigation, medical examination, fitness test, drug test, and physical fitness test-2

You may be rated unsuitable for a Border Patrol Agent position if your background includes:

past or present arrests

convictions (including misdemeanor domestic violence charges)

dismissals from previous jobs

debts and financial issues

excessive use of alcohol

use of illegal drugs, and/or the sale and distribution of illegal drugs

You may also be subject to a polygraph examination.

What can I expect if I get hired?

New hires must successfully complete a 55-day paid “Basic Academy” training at the "U.S. Border Patrol Academy” in Artesia, N.M. Training includes such topics as immigration and nationality laws, physical training and marksmanship. An additional 40 days will be required, past the 55 day Basic Academy training, for those that need Spanish language instruction. Border Patrol Agents must be willing to work overtime and shift work under arduous conditions, and be proficient in the use of and carry firearms. Border Patrol Agents are subject to random drug testing. They may also be sent on temporary assignments on short notice and on permanent reassignments to any duty location."

US Border Patrol

Didn't work out too good for Texas and her sister Southern states the last time we tried it in 1861-1865.

Lone Dog, we all know it's just halftime and the score is 1 - 0.

Max, if the Border Patrol doesn't pan out, try this instead http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/trainingacademy/recruiting/traineelinks.htm

Advantage to service on this force is that it gives you a leg up to joining The Rangers.

If you are successful in getting a position with USBP you can forget about SASS for some time. You will be assigned to a post and it might be in Miami, El Paso, San Diego or North Dakota. Their decision. Border Patrol is one of the most difficult and frustrating jobs in law enforcement. Their turnover rate is high and working for the Federal Govt is a whole different animal. It takes extreme dedication and sacrifice. Your wife will have to back you 100%. You probably won't be living anywhere near your 20 acres.

IMHO USBP is a job for young single men with a good head on their shoulders and a burning desire to be a Border Patrolman. It ain't glamorous and law enforcement is a lot different than the military.

Here's a link. Border Patrol

Difference between yankees and damn yankees:

yankees went home.

in the late 70s and early 80's ...the difference was that a damn yankee was pulling a U-haul trailer behind his car.

about that same time is when we started having all the traffic problems and tieups in DFW and around the north end of Austin.

:)

Thanx for any help

Much Obliged,

M. Maxwell Henry

Just thought you should know, lots of things are different in Texas, for instance Bexar is pronounced "Bear".

I spent a lot of time down alone the Rio Grande when I was younger and found plenty of excitement in doing so. I should have got paid for it but back then I was looking for adventure and excitement and money was not an issure. You do need to understand Spanish and speak enought to get by and the more you know about the Hispanic culture the better off You will be. You will experence things that will remain with yOU THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. The way of life there is very very interesting and so different than on the U.S. side. Expect to spend long very hot hours in the Texas sun during most of the year and long hours as well. I will not take time before You will be just as brown as a Mexican You will get used to well over 100 degree days. Also You will learn to have eyes in your back and watch whats going on around you at all times.

I was talking to an older retired agent the other day and we were talking about how much things have changed during the past 20 or 30 years. Today a hombre can call You names and shoot you the bird from across the river and feel safe. In past years that would not be such a great idea for damn sure and I have never seen a bullet that knew when it left the U.S. side of the river and when it knew it was in Old Mexico. I had plenty come across my way years ago and we all expected it anyway. If a shooter stood out in the open popping off caps in our direction that would for sure be a short term experence back then.

I am still upset with Johnny Sutton when he sent the two officers up for doing their job and ever man I know here in Texas feels the same way as I about it and a few other things He was involved in as well. I would love to see his a-- down there at night a few times and see if his atitude would change. Life on the Mexican Border will never change.

The pay is better than state pay for a simular job and better benifits with better retirement. I fully expect things to get a lot worst in the coming months and I dont think We can expect any real help from the President we have now and in time I beleave the U.S. will have to step in to deal with the problem if we can ever get someone in office that has the b---s to get the job done.

I just returned from spending a few days in Mexico where shootings and killings go on ever day and while there My friend and I encountered a group of drug runners armed to the teeth and on full elert with Ak 47s and M-16 on a small rual dirt road that runs close to his ranch. We rounded a curve after crossing a wooden bridge to find a big 4x4 Ford Expedition on the side of the road partly blocking the road with a flat and the SUV had fell of the jack and we saw what had happen as an older Mexican man stood at the rear of the Ford with his hand up waving for us to stop. Behind the SUV was four young men behind the big black Ford with three AK-47s and one M-16 pointed our way as we stopped. My friend had a tractor jack in his truck and after we helped them lift their SUV up to change the tire that a steel bolt from the wooden bridge had ruined the back right tire the old Man thanked us and give us each a fine Cuban cigar and a bottle of El Presenti brandy as one of the young men put the tire back in the back of the SUV next to igloo ice chests that are used to carry drugs under a trap out of sight. The other three young men never stop watching us and the road coming each way. As we were about to leave the old Man shook our hands and told us in Spanish "We live in hard times now, Thank You and May God ride with You My friends". We knew they ment no harm to us as we as we respected them and besides they were in their country. Everday life in Mexico.

Should You decide to become a Border Patrolman, I wish You all the luck. I could say You will need it but I had rather say You will learn a lot about yourself and the hard lives some people live and in time You will also under what we who have been there know, Live on the Border never changes and You will still find exciting times to come.

Your Friend and Fellow Pard, Texas Man

Archived