SASS Wire Forum

CCW

Carlos Murphy # 873

Just renewed my CCW. :wub:

Did the 4 hour class, burned up some powder at the range and went to the sheriffs office all in the same day, had ta get ma shoes xrayed and go through a metal detector, spend $70.00 and a 1/2 hour but I got it. :wub:

They made me stand on a box with footprints on it then remove my shoes so they could xray them, I passed.

I remember the "shoe bomber", I also remember the "panty bomber" but they didn't want to check my UNDERWARE ??? <_<

At least you got it. Living in California (a MAY issue state) it's up to the local head authority, be that chief of police or that of the sheriff. In my case based on my address, each one of those top dogs sent me to the other guy. The final no's first came from the sheriff, "I was in the incorporated area of the city". Then the chief of police, "he saw no reason to issue CCW's to other than judges and LEO's period". Other county's in the state have an easier row to hoe than the anti gun one I am in. Smithy.

Yep, know what yer talking about.

I lived in KalEfornia for 43 years, never even bothered to try for a CCW. :angry:

I live in AMERICA now... :wub:

Yep, know what yer talking about.

I lived in KalEfornia for 43 years, never even bothered to try for a CCW. :angry:

I live in AMERICA now... :wub:

Be careful saying "bad" things about CA on the wire....some folks will call you bad names.....but maybe IF you lived there you will get a pass. BUT if youre smart enough to stay away and still have an opinion you just might get roasted here. Welcome to America but the fights not over here just yet! :lol:

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

I'll take South Dakota over most states, all you have to do is show the sheriff your drivers licence and $20 bucks and you get a carry permit for 4 years. Ain't america great?

ENG :FlagAm:

Before this turns out to be a California bashing post remember Wisconsin and Illinois have NO carry at all and at least 10 other states have "may" issue like California. I'd rather live in a "may" issue state with great weather and take my chances then live in a "shall" issue state like Ohio with weather that actually makes me sick!:angry: I hate this awful climate! I can hardly wait to get the he$% outta here!

I'll take South Dakota over most states, all you have to do is show the sheriff your drivers licence and $20 bucks and you get a carry permit for 4 years. Ain't america great?

ENG Better in some states than others. In Vermont we have this document called a Constitution,any one not a felon,21 years of age can carry open or concealed their choice.No paper work,no forms,no Xrays, no strip search,now that's my idea of America! Adios Sgt. Jake

ENG Better in some states than others. In Vermont we have this document called a Constitution,any one not a felon,21 years of age can carry open or concealed their choice.No paper work,no forms,no Xrays, no strip search,now that's my idea of America! Adios Sgt. Jake

Yeah, but I do miss the strip search.

Beady Depends on who's doing the searching! Adios Sgt. Jake

Beggars can't be choosers. :lol:

California (most counties that is) frown on issuing CCW permits and that's not right.

You can get a permit if you live in a selected few counties and have a fairly good reason.

This year (renew every two years) they wanted to see by business permit before they would

issue the permit. I do know that multi State permits can be had and they cover 30 something States

excluding Oregon-California & Nevada at present. I believe it's a 5 year permit.

Can anyone else out there add more information on multi-state permits?

Happy trails :)

QDG

California (most counties that is) frown on issuing CCW permits and that's not right.

You can get a permit if you live in a selected few counties and have a fairly good reason.

This year (renew every two years) they wanted to see by business permit before they would

issue the permit. I do know that multi State permits can be had and they cover 30 something States

excluding Oregon-California & Nevada at present. I believe it's a 5 year permit.

QDG

DQG

I believe what yer referring to is state reciprocity for your state issued CCW.

Fancy term for we'll recognize your permit if you recognize ours.

You are bound by the laws of the state you are visiting at the time.

My great adopted state of FL recognizes 34 (at my last count) other states and they, in turn, recognize Florida's.

The problem with VT is they don't have a permit system so FL can't recognize them. That's a shame but I think they are working on it.

Hope this helps.

Waimea (Loving my CCW issuing State)

:FlagAm:

In several states, they issue not only permits for residents but also issue a CCW for non-residents.

That way, the person can legally carry when they visit that state. Florida is a good example. When they first started issuing CCW to their residents, they had no way to allow out of state people to carry.

They got tired of having their visiting tourists get ripped off. You see, back then, rental cars had plates that were recognizable as rentals. So guess what, the bad guys knew that out of state people could not legally carry. So they were fair game.

So the state did two things, first they changed the rule about license plates and they started issuing non-resident permits for those who applied and met their requirements. So essentially anyone can get a non-resident permit to carry in Florida.

Some other states recognize and have reciprocity with non-resident permits, some will only accept resident permits for the state you reside.

Just renewed my CCW. :wub:

Did the 4 hour class, burned up some powder at the range and went to the sheriffs office all in the same day, had ta get ma shoes xrayed and go through a metal detector, spend $70.00 and a 1/2 hour but I got it. :wub:

They made me stand on a box with footprints on it then remove my shoes so they could xray them, I passed.

I remember the "shoe bomber", I also remember the "panty bomber" but they didn't want to check my UNDERWARE ??? <_<

How many years does $70 get you? Is there a charge for the class?

In NY it costs $10 for 5 years and we have no class

requirement.

QDG

I talked to a couple of fellows from Bakersfield that were up here visiting relatives and they said it was pretty easy to git a ccw in Bakersfield. One was a preacher! Rye

QDG

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

This should help. Not bashing ANYPLACE, but in Arizona, you can carry with a CCW, shall issue, eight hour course including a bit of shooting, without a CCW, perfectly legal here, or OPEN.

And I don't mean "well, it's technically legal but you'll get hassled, I mean everyday carry for God and everybody to see open.

$70, short form and fingerprinted at Sherrif's

$50 to the State Police

And know I have a state CCL with an expiration date the same as me

Or was it $50 & $70...

DQG

I believe what yer referring to is state reciprocity for your state issued CCW.

Fancy term for we'll recognize your permit if you recognize ours.

You are bound by the laws of the state you are visiting at the time.

My great adopted state of FL recognizes 34 (at my last count) other states and they, in turn, recognize Florida's.

The problem with VT is they don't have a permit system so FL can't recognize them. That's a shame but I think they are working on it.

Hope this helps.

Waimea (Loving my CCW issuing State)

Waimea Vermonters are not about to give any part of their God given right,or to yield it for a political permit system.Gun owners,hunters and sportsmen of Vermont in the late 80's bit off their noses to spite their faces. Their was a congressional election and a open seat.A republican who was anti gun running and his main opposition was the mayor of Vermont's largest city,Burlington. So the majority of us voted for the mayor,he became the congressman of Vermont,we only have one. He promised to limit himself to two terms,he did then when a senate seat came open. Now we are stuck with Senator Butwipe for his life. Why should we yield our constitution for some politician,sheriff politician, judge politician,or other state officiate politician for a may issue permit system,that we have a God given right too as a resident of the state of Vermont. Some Vermonters obtain permits from another state to get reciprocity.I know of two states that have reciprocity with Vermont ,Alaska and Arizona,their may be others that I am not aware of. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Vermont to go to a permit system,we bit off our noses once before. Adios Sgt. Jake

Mine came up for renewal in Utah and they decided my picture was too old to use again, it was taken back in the 80's. So I sent them a passport photo and got my new permit by return mail. I went up to SLC to pick up my stolen truck, from me not by me, and it was about 3 am. My brother and nephew were with me. i stated to explain that I was carrying in defference to the officer out alone at 3 with three guys carrying and he stopped me and said he had already run our names and was quite comfortable. I liked that.

Indiana is $100 for a lifetime license.

Waimea Vermonters are not about to give any part of their God given right,or to yield it for a political permit system.Gun owners,hunters and sportsmen of Vermont in the late 80's bit off their noses to spite their faces. Their was a congressional election and a open seat.A republican who was anti gun running and his main opposition was the mayor of Vermont's largest city,Burlington. So the majority of us voted for the mayor,he became the congressman of Vermont,we only have one. He promised to limit himself to two terms,he did then when a senate seat came open. Now we are stuck with Senator Butwipe for his life. Why should we yield our constitution for some politician,sheriff politician, judge politician,or other state officiate politician for a may issue permit system,that we have a God given right too as a resident of the state of Vermont. Some Vermonters obtain permits from another state to get reciprocity.I know of two states that have reciprocity with Vermont ,Alaska and Arizona,their may be others that I am not aware of. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Vermont to go to a permit system,we bit off our noses once before. Adios Sgt. Jake

Sgt Jake

I don't believe anyone should give up ANY rights to a political system even to get more rights back in return, if that's what they want.

I believe that Florida is working with VT to work a way around the dilema. Course I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Sure didn't mean to rile ya up Sarge. Actually thought it was a good thing.

Ride easy, Pard.

Waimea

Sgt Jake

I don't believe anyone should give up ANY rights to a political system even to get more rights back in return, if that's what they want.

I believe that Florida is working with VT to work a way around the dilema. Course I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Sure didn't mean to rile ya up Sarge. Actually thought it was a good thing.

Ride easy, Pard.

Waimea

Waimea You didn't rile me,I guess I wanted to explain what we shooters did to our self's in Vermont in the past and why when the idea of reciprocation came up we declined. I do hope state to state they can work in out ,then their will be three reciprocal states with Vermont,a good thing. Adios Sgt.Jake

In several states, they issue not only permits for residents but also issue a CCW for non-residents.

That way, the person can legally carry when they visit that state. Florida is a good example. When they first started issuing CCW to their residents, they had no way to allow out of state people to carry.

They got tired of having their visiting tourists get ripped off. You see, back then, rental cars had plates that were recognizable as rentals. So guess what, the bad guys knew that out of state people could not legally carry. So they were fair game.

So the state did two things, first they changed the rule about license plates and they started issuing non-resident permits for those who applied and met their requirements. So essentially anyone can get a non-resident permit to carry in Florida.

Some other states recognize and have reciprocity with non-resident permits, some will only accept resident permits for the state you reside.

In California (Bakersfield) they ask if you want to get your non-resident CCW. When

you take the CA. CCW, it requires seprate pictures and fingerprints and it a 5 year

permit.

QDG

QDG

Utah does offer a way to get a CCW if you live out of state. Here is a list of instructors: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/documents/insoutstate02092011.pdf

If you are 21 and a clean background you can obtain a permit. Take the class, fill out the forms, finger prints and send them $65.25 In 60 days or less you get your permit good in 30+ states.

Details? http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/concealedfirearms.html

Waimea You didn't rile me,I guess I wanted to explain what we shooters did to our self's in Vermont in the past and why when the idea of reciprocation came up we declined. I do hope state to state they can work in out ,then their will be three reciprocal states with Vermont,a good thing. Adios Sgt.Jake

Sarge Jake: Glad You weren't riled by what I said. My feeling is that the more the States recognize each others citizens rights the better.

Maurauder: I plum forgot about non-citizen permits here in FL and I wasn't aware of the reasoning why. But it sure makes sense. Uh-oh. Laws that make some sense. Scary.

Waimea

How many years does $70 get you? Is there a charge for the class?

In NY it costs $10 for 5 years and we have no class

requirement.

I have a couple of relatives who live in upstate NY (Ontario and Monroe Counties) that have "Unrestricted Lifetime" LCP's. How come yours is only 5 years? It looks like you got taken on that 5 year deal.

Single Action Six

Sarge Jake: Glad You weren't riled by what I said. My feeling is that the more the States recognize each others citizens rights the better.

Maurauder: I plum forgot about non-citizen permits here in FL and I wasn't aware of the reasoning why. But it sure makes sense. Uh-oh. Laws that make some sense. Scary.

Waimea

Waimea If all other 49 states had the gun laws that Vermont does I think it would be closer to what the founders had in mind when they penned the 2 nd. amendment. By the way if you ever get the chance to visit Vermont you really won't need your permit while you are here. The only qualifications you need in Vt. is be 21 years of age and not a felon,then decide if you want to carry open or concealed,your choice.Vermont Constitution Here in article 9 & 16 http://www.usconstitution.net/vtconst.html Adios Sgt. Jake

I have a couple of relatives who live in upstate NY (Ontario and Monroe Counties) that have "Unrestricted Lifetime" LCP's. How come yours is only 5 years? It looks like you got taken on that 5 year deal.

Single Action Six

Nevada is 5 years, $70.00 for renewals and $15.00 to add a weapon, a new CCW I think was $60.00 for the permit and $45,00 for fingerprinting.

The 2 hr class (now 4 hr's) was around $90.00 which includes qualifying at the range.

After I get my knee fixed I'll take the advanced range class, fun targets and allot of moving around.

I carry a Kimber 1911 .45acp in winter and a S.S. Charter Arms snubby .38 spl. in summer.

Archived