SASS Wire Forum

Lizard Litter instead of tumbling media - updated 03/03/2011

Buck D. Law, SASS #62183

Very interesting read about Lizard Litter, buying it on line, from pet stores, Harbor Freight, saving big money, we also order our brass on line, bullets also, and guess what?? suddenly the sporting goods store you used to buy reloading supplies from is going belly up..and we all wonder why?? hey guys I'm all for saving a buck, I use Lizard litter myself, but I do try to buy most of my stuff from the local gun stores if I can, we have to support the places that support us by furnishing us with a product we need, or they won't be there when it comes time to buy a new gun..no dis-respect intended here, just my thoughts.

• 3 months later...

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I have found pretty good stuff from Harbor Freight Stores (probably Communist Chinese-made, like their tools).

They get $25.00 for 25# of crushed walnut. They have either fine or coarse grade.

Mustang Gregg

Do you pards recommend the course or the fine crushed walnut for a vibratory tumbler and smokeless brass?

To remove the dust from the LL, I toss in a couple of Clothes Dryer sheets. It remove the dust by the particles clinging to the Dryer sheet. Also when the Media gets a little dirty, again drop in the dryer sheet. They will be removed, Black in Color.

Try a dryer sheet in media cheap way to solve dust problem NK

I cut the dryer sheet into quarters, add it to the media.

Makes the media last longer too as it soaks up a lot of the dirt/ grime.

Also watch your local Harbor Frieght store. They sell 25# bags, when on sale you can get it for $20. A little finer than the litter but works great...

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

Also watch your local Harbor Frieght store. They sell 25# bags, when on sale you can get it for $20. A little finer than the litter but works great...

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

Yaah, J3; butte, the question is: Course or Fine Crushed Walnut at Harbor Freight? I've got a 20% Off coupon burning hole in my pocket.

Heee Haaa Buck da Law.. I could not get lizzard litter at the pet store,they were out.. :o So instead I bought KAYTEE Walnut pet bird litter. ;) 7lbs for $9.00 Its extra clean litter..(no Dust) :) I shoot 44-40's,FFg Goex.. after the brass is dry,I put it the tumbler and add some Mothers Carnauba cleaner wax.. ;) tumble over night,cases come out clean and shinie.. and best of all I don't have ta lube them before I run them through the dillon.. :P

Heee Haaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

You can get it real cheap from any Feed Store, I got it for around $16.00 for a 50LB bag. V.D.

[/quote

And you never share this with your SASS sister?? Really?? lol.. Okay fine you tell JJJ's I am sure.. so I get it.. VD.. thanks for being so nice at the shoots, and for having such a nice wife.. but I need to ask you a favor can you SLOW down a bit?? lol.. lol. You are tooooo fast.. darn it.. lol Deja

Thanks for the good advice, Buck. Just ordered a bag myself. Happy tumbling. See you soon

Cassalong Hopidy

• 5 weeks later...

the soft trashy stuff some folks are talking about is the pet store version of ground corn cobs. Not good!!

Yeppers! I have also had good luck with the lizard bedding, specifically intended most commonly for, "Beardies" bearded lizard. When I bought mine the perky checkout person said, "oh do you have a bearie?" I said "no, its for cleaning ammunition."

.....no further comment....

Try going to amazon.com and search for Zilla English Walnut Shell Litter.

As a followup regarding it being dusty, I suppose that is possible as it appears to have a wider variety of particle sizes, big to very small, as compared to the Dillon media. My tumbler has a lid, so it hasn't bothered me.

I haven't done any testing to determine how long it takes to polish the brass. Since I'm not loading what I've just shot, the time required to polish it is not an issue for me. It's not unusual for me to put brass in the tumbler in the evening and take it out he next morning, but I like it shiny. As far as it working, if shiny equated to speed, I'd be hell on wheels. :D

You paid to much, they now have it at 15.99 on sale. MT

To cut down on the dust I just add about a capful of denatured alcohol to the media, tumble it in to mix it and no dust. it needs refreshing as the media dries out. I use a Thumbler's Tumbler with 1 quart cans.

Archived