SASS Wire Forum

H&R 1871 BC .45-70 and a Marbles Improved Tang Sight

Rover SASS 28073L

Pards,

I am considering mounting a Marbles Improved Tang Sight onto my H&R Buffalo Classic .45-70, shooting a 405 gr bullet at 1180 fps.

I wish to shoot from 100 yds to 300 yds, with 200 yds being the maximum distance that I am shooting now.

Question 1 How to mount - screws in wood or brass screw inserts? Any real advantage? Is it worth the extra effort

use the brass screw inserts?

Question 2 short post or standard post? what is min and max range for each?

Question 3, Eye cup - target or hunting? for these ranges.

Anything else that you might with to share with me about this setup would be appreciated.

Rover SASS 28073L

The marble tang sight is the one I mounted on my BC about two years ago. The one that fits it is the same as the no tang Browning. The sight comes with two wood screws to mount it to the stock. If you have ever used wood screws in something that takes bumps and such then you know that they will twist and turn and fall out after a period of time. I used the furniture type of threaded brass inserts for 10-32 screws. Once the holes were drilled I put epoxy glue on them before inserting into the stock. Never had a single problem. You could spend more money and mount a soule type sight but they cost as much as the rifle. Buffalo Arms sells a newer style of marbles sight that has the middle post set up so that they maybe changed out. I went with this sight as it is easier to set for different ranges.

Pards,

I am considering mounting a Marbles Improved Tang Sight onto my H&R Buffalo Classic .45-70, shooting a 405 gr bullet at 1180 fps.

I wish to shoot from 100 yds to 300 yds, with 200 yds being the maximum distance that I am shooting now.

Question 1 How to mount - screws in wood or brass screw inserts? Any real advantage? Is it worth the extra effort

use the brass screw inserts?

Question 2 short post or standard post? what is min and max range for each?

Question 3, Eye cup - target or hunting? for these ranges.

Anything else that you might with to share with me about this setup would be appreciated.

Rover SASS 28073L

My Pedersoli long-range trapdoor came with a Creedmoor sight and was mounted from the factory using brass inserts. Works great and never had a problem. Makes it easy if you ever want to remove/upgrade it.

Howdy,

I have had great luck with this sight from Buffalo Arms. It like the original sight for the gun and has a great ladder and peep sight. My H&R Buffalo Classic came with a great hooded front sight.

There are no problems ringing steel out to 200 to 300 yards.

Wesson & Harrington Long Range Sight, part number SMI8005

Archived