SASS Wire Forum

Need help with loading .45 lc for new 58's

R. R. Ranger

Just get a couples of Uberti 1858's with conversion cylinders and want to load some .45lc for them. Where to start? I have loaded for .38lc with Goex and a 158 grain. I know sharing load data over the open wire is a no-no. If anyone has advice where to find a good load for the 58 I'd be thankful. I have the Dick Dasterly 210 gr. mold.

Howdy

That bullet was designed specifically for shooting in conversion cylinders in the '58 Remmie. I like it best loaded in the 45 Schofield case rather than the 45 Colt case. The '58 Remmie grip configuration recoils just a bit more than I like with a 250 grain bullet in a 45 Colt case. Don't be surprised if you discover the same thing. Remember, you can stuff a lot more powder into a 45 Colt cartridge than you can in a C&B chamber, and a 250 grain bullet weighs a lot more than a round ball. That all means a lot more recoil. If you load that bullet in 45 Colt cases you will actually wind up putting in more powder than you would with a 250 grain bullet because it does not extend as far into the case as the 250 grain bullet does. Trust me on this, I fussed with the CAD drawings a long time trying to remedy that situation.

You should be able to chamber 45 Schofield cases with their larger diameter rims in your R&D cylinders because they have changed the diameter of the counterbores for the rims. You won't have to have them opened up like I did a few years ago.

As with all Black Powder loads, pour in enough powder so that when you seat the bullet the powder will be compressed by 1/16" - 1/8". That's all there is to it.

Archived