SASS Wire Forum

My Greenhorn Mistake

Timber Rattler

I shouda done better!! A couple a weeks ago I advertized in the selling section that I was looking for a full buckhorn rear sight for a Marlin or Uberti rifle,and I get a PM with an offer on one. I accepted the offer and the other day I received a small package with a factory semi buckhorn rear sight. Going through the PM"s the seller

only said they had one but did not specify FULL buckhorn (I should of verified) so I contacted the seller and

asked if I could return the package but no joy because they cannot use it anymore and they didn't really know the difference between semi and FULL buckhorn. The reason for this post is to remind some like me that sometimes we need to verify or make sure were clear.

Thanks

I'm not really sure how it was your mistake. You asked for a full buckhorn sight. Somebody agreed to sell you one, then sent you the wrong item. I guess that you could have confirmed what they had, but you should not have needed to since you were specific in your request. It sounds like the seller did not intentionally misrepresent the item, but they should have agreed to take it back.

I'm not really sure how it was your mistake. You asked for a full buckhorn sight. Somebody agreed to sell you one, then sent you the wrong item. I guess that you could have confirmed what they had, but you should not have needed to since you were specific in your request. It sounds like the seller did not intentionally misrepresent the item, but they should have agreed to take it back.

Eggsackly. He didn't send ya what ya asked for. It's not yer [problem whether he needs it back or not. Bad businessman you dealt with, IMHO.

Right on. If you asked for the correct item and out of ignorance, they sent you the wrong item...they're the greenhorn, not you.

A pard who will not take back an item that he sold with a misunderstanding on HIS part is not upholding the Cowboy way. And it does not matter that he does not have a use for it - that is probably why he wanted to sell it off in the first place!

Next time, you might ask for a photo of the part before you finalize the deal.

The good part - you are not out a lot of money. Just the inconvenience.

Unfortunately, the SASS Classifieds do not have much of a problem resolution mechanism in place if the buyer and seller get into an argument. In fact, it is SPECIFICALLY DISALLOWED to air that grievance between buyer and seller here on the wire.

I have sent a note to the moderators about two shady sellers in the last 5 years who would not honor the terms of a sale or shipped way late on a purchase, and the moderators MAY have had some words themselves with those folks, as I have not seen either of those particular sellers back here again.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks for the support. My greenhorn feeling comes from the first PM where he said I have a buckhorn. Reading

back on it now I feel that should of sparked me to verify semi or full,even tho I did ask for full. Oh well I hope this relearns me a lesson, this is alot cheeper than it could of been!

Thanks again!!

Just read your post Garrison Joe we must have been typing at the same time,if my post steped over the line I hope the mods deleate it.

I once purchased, from an online auction site, what was advertised as a Winchester Model 70 floorplate. What I received was an aftermarket part that was suppose to fit a Winchester M70, but didn't. The genlteman offered to return my money. I sent him the part but didn't receive my money and he didn't reply to emails. After many emails and a couple of months I finally mentioned that I was taking the issue to the auction site for remediation and he promptly replied to the email and I had my money back in a couple of days. Depending on your situation, you might consider contacting the auction site.

Just read your post Garrison Joe we must have been typing at the same time,if my post stepped over the line I hope the mods delete it.

No, your post is fine by me - you did not mention the specific seller and did not try to gather up a posse to go lynch him/her.

Long distance buying can be tricky. Almost all the pards on the SASS Classifieds are GREAT to deal with. Sorry you got a less-than-great experience the first time you used it.

gl, GJ

Well, hmmm. I guess you could have bought a Marbles full buckhorn sight from Brownells in the first place? Or, you coulda contacted a SASS/CAS cowboy smith and gotten a little more info before you expressed your rugged individualism and bought a sight on the classified.

The good news is that a semi buckhorn is more useful in our sport. And, ultimately many folks move to a flattop sight and it's pretty easy to file the ears down on a semi-buckhorn to accomplish that.

Mebbe I'm bein' arbitrary, but the mistake seems to me that you short-circuited the normal process of upgrading your sight and paid the consequences.

Sorry, that's just my opinion.

Well, hmmm. I guess you could have bought a Marbles full buckhorn sight from Brownells in the first place? Or, you coulda contacted a SASS/CAS cowboy smith and gotten a little more info before you expressed your rugged individualism and bought a sight on the classified.

The good news is that a semi buckhorn is more useful in our sport. And, ultimately many folks move to a flattop sight and it's pretty easy to file the ears down on a semi-buckhorn to accomplish that.

Mebbe I'm bein' arbitrary, but the mistake seems to me that you short-circuited the normal process of upgrading your sight and paid the consequences.

Sorry, that's just my opinion.

+1, seems like a mountain has been made of a mole hill. Most of the folks I shoot with have replaced their rear sights with a flat rear Marbles sight. The full buckhorn is harder to shoot with. Some folks use it like an aperture sight but sides are pretty wide to do it quickly and it is harder to see the upcoming target. If yo want an aperture sight, recommend you go to a tang mounted peep sight and remove the adapter, so the sides of the aperture are thin and you don't mask the next target.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

A semi is the one that you can see the next taregt coming.

A full is the more authentic one that blocks your view of the next target coming.

How tough is that???!!

Dam... a fella could get a Boone & Crockett score on that full buckhorn.

ts

Well, hmmm. I guess you could have bought a Marbles full buckhorn sight from Brownells in the first place? I've already wished that! Or, you coulda contacted a SASS/CAS cowboy smith and gotten a little more info before you expressed your rugged individualism and bought a sight on the classified.Nah, it's my individualism that makes me want to try a FULL BUCKHORN

The good news is that a semi buckhorn is more useful in our sport. And, ultimately many folks move to a flattop sight and it's pretty easy to file the ears down on a semi-buckhorn to accomplish that.Flat top sight is not what I want to try.

Mebbe I'm bein' arbitrary, but the mistake seems to me that you short-circuited the normal process of upgrading your sight and paid the consequences.Wonder what that process is? I kinda thought it could be Determine which sight I wanted to try, Locate one new or used, Buy it!

Sorry, that's just my opinion.We've all got one of em. Have a good en!

Well, the normal process is: Make a huge number of purchasing errors like almost all of us did when we got started. :)

The process sorta should go like this:

Ask about guns and equipment from a guy behind the counter of a gun shop. The guy will have absolutely no knowledge about SASS or CAS, BUT he will tell you he held 3 all Army records with the 1911 (or was a decorated sniper with the Marines) (or was Rob Leathem's cub scout pack leader and taught him how to shoot). Then he will give you a lot of advice, most certainly bad.

Ask for advice here on the Wire. In addition to the attributes listed above for the gun shop dude, you will also find people who know what they are talking about, who know the best way to do things, who only shoot (Rugers, Colts, USFA's, Original/Period-correct firearms,....pick one). You will also get extremely confused by the overwhelming amount of good/bad/indifferent data.

Go to a match, where you will find all of the above, plus serious shooters who won't use the Wire, old-timers who don't know how to use a computer, lurkers who might be either serious shooters or old-timers or both....and ask them. You'll run out of sunlight before the opinions stop coming.

After that, go out and buy what you think you want/need to shoot the categories you think you want to shoot in.

========== I guarantee that 50% of what you purchase will be a mistake (your full buckhorn desire might be just the first of many of those things you think are cool, but ain't as you get better at playing this game).

where was I and what was the question?.............oh yeah. Find yourself a gunsmith/dealer who knows and participates in this game. Tell him what your goals are. Be prepared to adjust your mindset...which is gonna happen if the g/d is worth his salt.

Then...good luck, have fun, be safe.

And don't worry about all those bad purchases...some other guy will come along who absolutely has to have what you no longer need.

Archived