SASS Wire Forum

BOOTS

Dash Caliber

Right now I am limited to a set of Tony Lama Buckaroos...nice quality...but my feet hurt after a long day...have had better luck with Ariat and modern pointy toes but I want something more historically accurate than pointy toes but I need comfort...Surely somebody has worked through this problem. Any recommendations in a Stove Pipe Boot.

Dash, I've had good luck with the Ariat "wellington" style boots

The Wellington are a traditional style that existed before the Civil War, so they are quite authentic. And the Ariat are not very expensive (for boots) and give me pretty good support for my really flat feet.

For a stove pipe boot, I have tried a few and the best I came up with was a couple of traditional style stove pipes and put insets in them to give the arch support I need. I have some Buffalo Runner and some surplus East German officer boots that work pretty well. The latter look very much like those worn in the Civil War.

One thing to watch is the weight of the boot. My Buffalo Runner are really nice but quite a bit heavier than the cheapie East German boots. After da day of walking around, collecting mud, the weight can make a big difference in my energy level.

I just want some that fit.I ware a AAA with a AAAA heal.Hard to find that I could afford.

Like everything else in this game (and in life), you get what you pay for. If you want "period" stove pipe boots that will stand up to the abuse this game puts on footwear then I recommend David Espinoza.

I've had mine resoled/rebuilt once, the fellow that recommended him, three times... no charge.

ETA... go the custom route, made to your measurements.

If you have problem feet like I do give you might want to give shoes a try. Unless you are shooting one of the costume categories, there are plenty of historically accurate shoes to choose from. I have a pair of plain and cap toe that are very simular to the ones worn by townies...ie...bankers, bartenders, real estate tycons. :) Todays modern hush puppys look almost indentical to the rough out ankle high boot worn by settelers, store clerks, and some solders in the civil war. Good Luck

Jefro :ph34r:

I did something a little different. I love my Curly Bill boots, but depending on what type of terrain I have to walk over during the day, my feet are telling the tale by the end of the match. So I got Klondike to make me a pair of black leather boot chaps with some 4 aces appliques sewn on the top of the chaps, and bought a pair of Justin lacers to wear under them. Now I can have my Curly Bill 4 aces look, without the foot pain at the end of the day. Since the chaps have to be laced up, it takes a bit of time to put them on, but overall it has worked very well. I spent about $330 on the chaps and lacers, which I imagine is still less expensive than getting a pair of custom boots with anything like an orthopedic inner sole.

Can't beat the style points with the chaps, either.

I'm just going to throw this out there for those with foot pain: Have you considered orthotics for a starting point? A few years ago I was having serious foot and knee pain. I gave up karate, limited my running to what was absolutely necessary for the Army, and was at the point where I was sure knee surgery was in my future. I went to my family doctor, and during our conversation, I mentioned foot pain and he looked at the wear pattern on my shoes, and sent me to a podiatrist. New orthotics, and everything feels much, much better. I can run to the point of having put in a few 5K races, no real difficulties. I have done a bit of martial arts practice including kicking on my heavy bag at home without problems, although I haven't resumed training with my old instructor.

Just an idea to consider. If you go that route, make sure you use the orthotics in whichever boots you are trying.

My lace-up Ariats are not stove pipe boots, but they are by far the most comfortable boot I have ever worn....and I have worn a lot of boots. The sizing is weird though. I typically wear a 9.5 - 10 D, but my Ariats are 8.5 E. Try them on before you buy them....any of them.

I just want some that fit.I ware a AAA with a AAAA heal.Hard to find that I could afford.

I'm along those lines. Tough fit.

Lace up Ariats are the best.

Mine are 11 1/2 but I normally wear 11.

A regular commercial stove pipe boot will be more difficult. Hopefully some can help out more.

There are many good options for lace-up or Wellington, both of which are very authentic, but just not the same image as the Stove Top.

Ariat Rambler Boot

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Caboots website... custom made to fit...

Stovepipe Boots by CaBoots

If you browse the remainder of the website... you can pick and choose the configurations and sizes of the "toe", "heel", "top" (or scallop), "calf size", "color", "sole material", etc. Got to take good measurements... and if you do... them boots will feel just like wearin' yore regular skin.

ts

I can attest to the Ariats for all day comfort and support.

I injured my right foot in a floor collapse back in my firefighting days. I used a cane for years but the ariats (and crocs) have weened me from the cane. I still can't pick up running again but it feels great to have my hands free. I also have had great luck with the Wolverine dura shocks in a Wellington. Not a traditional sole, but a real life saver for day to day wear.

I've loked at the stove pipes... had them in my "cart" but I always leave the site w/o getting them. I tried on a pair of Boulets at the local western wear store and even with going to an ee I felt I would have issues. It has bugged me to no end thinking I can't get a period correct boot, so I thank you all for this thread and the information. I'll feel even more comfortable in my Ariats for a while.

Howdy

The problem with most cowboy boots is that they are designed for riding a horse, not walking. Walking all day on a high heel is naturally uncomfortable.

Check out this link. Ignore the camo boot. Check out the other three. I have the pair all the way on the right in black. These boots are designed like a shoe, not like a cowboy boot. Much more comfortable to walk in all day. Since I bought these, I have not worn my Tony Lama boots again.

Boots

Driftwood, that link goes to their search page rather than the results of your search.

SO it has a zillion pages.

What did you search for?

Well, it worked when I first posted it. Dunno what happened.

Go to the link Beeline Bullet posted. That is the same boots. I have the black range boots. Blackerby has the Nebraskan version. We both like them a lot, they are very comfortable to walk around in all day. The mule ear flaps take a little bit of getting used to but they are fun when they flap in the breeze. Drives all the flies away.

Archived