SASS Wire Forum

38 S&W Victory Model

Tater Head

Howdy Pards,

I need some advice on reloading the 38 S&W. Dies and cases no problem. What bullet mold are you using and how does it shoot. I understand that you should have a bullet .360+.

Can you bump up a soft .358 in a .360-.363 sizing die.

Any help with reloading for this round would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tater/Frank

I use a regular 38 sp bullet. I hear if you use a hollow base design, it will expand. I use the biggest I can find and get OK

accuracy from my Victory and a lemon squeezer.

Try at the S & W Forum. They can help and a couple of the guys have a database and can pretty much tell you month and year. Since it appears yours in British,

it may have gone to New Zealand, South Africa, Australia or???

Be sure it is in 38 S & W. Many were bored out for 38 Spl and were never marked as such.

I have an Enfield Tanker model (no hammer spur) 38-200 in which I use 38 S&W cases. The load I use is a 38 Cowboy projectile sized to 358 and 2 grains of Trailboss. I shoot a classic service match here Downunder with that load and it shoots quite accurate.

Hope this may help

Dakota Dan B)

Sounds to me a 9mm mold is in order.

I assume you mean 9mm Makarov- acually a 9.2mm (+/-.363") caliber. Standard 9mm=.355".

Thirty-eight Special hollow-base wadcutter mold sounds like a good idea.

Not really a need for a special mold. I use an RCBS 140 grain RNFP (Cowboy) mold, and cast a soft slug - no harder alloy than 1:40. It drops at about 0.361 inch. Size it in a .360 sizing die, lube with BP lube, then I can shoot it over a case of FFFg BP and grin. The soft alloy bumps up even with BP pressures. Out of 3 pocket pistols, about three inch groups at 15 yards.

Good luck, GJ

The Victory model I have is marked as being returned from England, and has been rechambered for 38 Special. Check your cylinder and compare to your bore. My bore is waay oversize. (sorry, no measurements handy)

DM

Howdy Pards,

I'd like to thank you all for your replies. I feel confident that after reviewing all of your imput that I will make my Victory model sing like a Canary.

Thanks Again,

Tater

Archived