SASS Wire Forum

Is a country violent just because it has a lot of guns?

Utah Bob #35998

Interesting Mr. Utah....My take on the way the United States of America's approach to gun

control is way off base! I think there should be a requirement that each individual

should pass some sort of proficency test and maybe shooting too once in their lives.

I also think everyone that wants a CCW permit should have one, but only after they go

through the necessary paperwork and waiting period. All citizens of the United States

of America should be treated as an asset to the U.S.A and not a criminal. If the money wasen't wasted on frivolous new laws and they enforced the exisiting ones we could

eventually have a safer country.... :wacko::huh::rolleyes:

Just my thoughts, Happy trails

QDG :FlagAm:

An obviously biased article with lots of loaded phrases, but the headline is correct.

The old story - guns cause crime like spoons make Rosie O. overweight. :wacko:

She didn't know they were loaded...

:) len

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life
Is a country violent just because it has a lot of guns?

No... it don’t mean nothin’. Just as it don’t mean nothin’ that a single person is violent cause they got mucho guns.

In some cases... take me for instance... I got lotsa guns cause of some of that psychological mambo-jambo. Specifically... regardin’ my insecurity associated with an inferiority complex due to the lack of size of my private parts. (Some high-falootin’ woman onest told me that... and her never havin' laid eyes on my nekid self. No shht.)

Yep... accordin' to that high-brow woman... bet there are some entire countries with men-folk out there that are the same way...

ts

p.s. Take them ol’-timey Greeks for instance. You ever seen them Greek hero statues? No "small wonder" they had so many swords back in them days. No pun intended.

Yup. The Swiss are well known for their bellicose attitudes and high crime rate and they are all issued guns by the state so it must be true. And they just voted to keep it that way so the guns must have affected their mind set as well........I just wish the army would have let me bring my M14 home with me........ <_< Or my M1 or M16 for that matter, in that order...... ;)

Interesting Mr. Utah....My take on the way the United States of America's approach to gun

control is way off base! I think there should be a requirement that each individual

should pass some sort of proficency test and maybe shooting too once in their lives.

I also think everyone that wants a CCW permit should have one, but only after they go

through the necessary paperwork and waiting period. All citizens of the United States

of America should be treated as an asset to the U.S.A and not a criminal. If the money wasen't wasted on frivolous new laws and they enforced the exisiting ones we could

What you are proposing is total Government control of gun ownership. It will be the sole decision of the political appointees in Washington to decide what the "proficency test" consists of, the standard for your shooting test and who passes the tests.

You would do well to familarize yourself with CCW laws in various states.

It takes lots of guns to perform all the fun things that can be done with them. Look how many clubs a golfer lugs around just to hit one little ball in a day and all the golfers I know have more sets of clubs stuck back than what they carry to the range on a given day.

The RTBA should not be in govt hands, fed or state, at all but rather the individuals right to protect or to lose. No govt, state or federal will guarantee your safety so why should either interfere with your desire to try and afford your own protection. This fundamental right should also not be affected by state lines either.

I dont buy into any of that.

A few months ago a friend and I decided to get CCW permits and went to the sheriff's office to get the paperwork. That was a hassle, signing for the papers and all before they even let us take them out of the building.

After looking them over, and figuring the price about the same as a small used car, we both checked out the restrictions and decided to hell with it.

Talk about bureaucratic overkill. Everything was designed to discourage the process form continuing.

through the necessary paperwork and waiting period.

Note Forty Rod's post. Some states and local jurisdictions make it virtually impossible. They have regulations that are designed to ensure very few people get a ccw permit. There should be a national standard and it should not be so restrictive that the average citizen has no hope of obtaining one.

of America should be treated as an asset to the U.S.A and not a criminal. If the money wasen't wasted on frivolous new laws and they enforced the existing ones we could

I don't know if your comment was in sarcasm or not, but that view is a fairly common (mis)understanding of how governments generally work.

We (the government) just want some good, reasonable rules to keep you and society safe.

Do you smoke, then you are dangerous and should not have a gun.

Do you drink, same..

Do we really know you? Have you had our psychological examination? (It is only three days and $2000.)

Have you completed our training?

It is a mere 3 weeks training held in Siberia every other year and costs $$$$. But it is reasonable for such a dangerous item. Since we had one person have problems in the past, we will soon be extending that training to 6 weeks and three times the current cost, it's only reasonable...

Where do you live?

If it is in a dangerous area, we cannot let you add to the problem, so NO.

If you live in a safe area, you do not need the gun, so NO.

Who did you vote for?

Our party or some other crazy radical group?

If you voted for our party, you know you don't need a gun.

If you voted otherwise, you cannot be trusted.

Please call if you have any further questions.

We won't answer the phone of course, so you will have to follow up with a letter.

We are here to help and serve you.

What you are proposing is total Government control of gun ownership. It will be the sole decision of the political appointees in Washington to decide what the "proficency test" consists of, the standard for your shooting test and who passes the tests.

You would do well to familarize yourself with CCW laws in various states.

Don't think I said that, exactly! Keep the law concerning CCW and purchasing as they are, but change the renewal period from 2 to life in Ca. and all other states.Enforce the laws on the books.....We don't need any new laws where firearms are concerned. The mind set of those against guns would be hard to change, but enforcing the laws and keeping those bad guys locked up might solve some of the problems...NO NEW LAWS!

QDG/Mike

I don't know if your comment was in sarcasm or not, but that view is a fairly common (mis)understanding of how governments generally work.

We (the government) just want some good, reasonable rules to keep you and society safe.

Do you smoke, then you are dangerous and should not have a gun.

Do you drink, same..

Do we really know you? Have you had our psychological examination? (It is only three days and $2000.)

Have you completed our training?

It is a mere 3 weeks training held in Siberia every other year and costs $$$$. But it is reasonable for such a dangerous item. Since we had one person have problems in the past, we will soon be extending that training to 6 weeks and three times the current cost, it's only reasonable...

Where do you live?

If it is in a dangerous area, we cannot let you add to the problem, so NO.

If you live in a safe area, you do not need the gun, so NO.

Who did you vote for?

Our party or some other crazy radical group?

If you voted for our party, you know you don't need a gun.

If you voted otherwise, you cannot be trusted.

Please call if you have any further questions.

We won't answer the phone of course, so you will have to follow up with a letter.

We are here to help and serve you.

Marauder, you make a valid point and I agree with you and what you've said!

I don't want any new laws concerning firearms and I sure don't want the Goverment involved

in making or changing the existing laws. I've been involved in CCW both in Texas and here in California, I live shooting as most SASS members do! Mis-understandings corrected I hope. Do appreciate the feedback.. :D

Happy trails

QDG/Mike

While we are at it, I think we should also require everyone to demonstrate a familiarity with the holy book of their choiuce before they can attend worship services, pass a literary test before being allowed to vote, demonstrate an affinity for pubic speaking before being allowed to state a political opinion, prove that they have nothing to hide before refusing to testify against themselves, and get permission from the goverment before being allowed to gather in any numbers greater than 3.

And if you agree with that, I have some ocean front property in Arizona for sale real cheap.

The trouble with these articles is they tend to ignore certain statistics.

The US is #1 in gun ownership, yet #24 in per capita murder rate.

Russia is #28 in gun ownership, yet #5 in per capita murder rate.

Mexico is #21 in gun ownership, yet #6 in per capita murder rate.

Colombia, South Africa, Jamaica, and Venezuela have the top per capita murder rates, yet don't even place in the Top 30 of gun ownership countries.

The trouble with these articles is they tend to ignore certain statistics.

The US is #1 in gun ownership, yet #24 in per capita murder rate.

Russia is #28 in gun ownership, yet #5 in per capita murder rate.

Mexico is #21 in gun ownership, yet #6 in per capita murder rate.

Colombia, South Africa, Jamaica, and Venezuela have the top per capita murder rates, yet don't even place in the Top 30 of gun ownership countries.

The article also ignores the other really big elephant in the living room. Gun laws are race based. Before the civil war there were virtually no gun laws. Ever since the politicians have been trying to keep racial minorities mostly black and brown folks from possessing arms. It’s still going on today. If you will notice the politician in the major urban areas with the highest crime rates are the ones that push these gun control laws. They can’t lock them up because they need the votes so they do everything they can to control them even at the law abiding citizens expense.

BTW, QD Grandpa,

The 2A is the written acknowledgment of a free man’s God give right. God given rights are not to be infringed.

"Is a country violent just because it has a lot of guns?"

Of course it does........................Have you seen all the pushing and shoving that goes on at those crowded gun shows?

Makes it hand-to-hand combat to get the "good stuff" :excl::)

I am curious as to why I need the permission of the Federal (or State) Government (i.e. King) to carry a concealed firearm? Giving Government (i.e. political appointees that exist to expand their power) control effectively dimenishes my ability for self-defense.

Furthermore is their anyone who thinks the Federal Government is responsive to the needs of the people? With State Government the officials are closer to the citizens and are held more accountable. When you consider the number of States (48) that have adopted some form of CCW laws I say gunowners have done a pretty good job.

No more so than an all girls school being a bordello....

Think my country is violent because there are some violent scumbags out there who have no respect for the law, other people and their property. Guns have nothing to do with the violence, they are only a tool.

Well put Cpt Dan Blodgett!!!!!

Countries aren't violent.

People are violent.

Its documented that the Japs never thought about invading the continental U.S. due to all the guns owned by private citizens.

Ballot Box and Ammo Box !

I think Adm. Yakamoto said something of the sort; he was against the attack on Pearl, though he planned it well.

However, I don't think the Japanese had Continental US invasion plans. Now, that would have been an amphibious operation to contemplate!

The article also ignores the other really big elephant in the living room. Gun laws are race based. Before the civil war there were virtually no gun laws. Ever since the politicians have been trying to keep racial minorities mostly black and brown folks from possessing arms. It’s still going on today. If you will notice the politician in the major urban areas with the highest crime rates are the ones that push these gun control laws. They can’t lock them up because they need the votes so they do everything they can to control them even at the law abiding citizens expense.

BTW, QD Grandpa,

The 2A is the written acknowledgment of a free man’s God give right. God given rights are not to be infringed.

I agree! I don't think our Goverment feel the same....

QDG

I think Adm. Yakamoto said something of the sort; he was against the attack on Pearl, though he planned it well.

However, I don't think the Japanese had Continental US invasion plans. Now, that would have been an amphibious operation to contemplate!

Yamamoto is purported to have made the comment that "there would be a gun behind every blade of grass" but it's unsubstantiated and probably BS.

link

Rates of violence vary from culture to culture. As Finland, Norway and Switzerland prove, and even some parts of the United States prove it is entirely possible to have a relatively low rate of violence while the average citizen possesses guns. I could write a book on this but before you start thinking race, remember I said culture. The real issue is whether a citizen thinks he can achieve "justice" with or without a gun. In communities where everybody feels the local community provides effective tools to solve problems rates of violence will be low. In communities where the average person believes self help is the only way he is going to achieve "justice" he will resort to a gun.

Now there are always sociopaths who think they are separate from society, their crimes are relatively rare.

The solution to gun violence in most urban areas is effective community policing. That is a lot more expensive than gun control.

Archived