SASS Wire Forum

Slick up a Browning BSS

Del Rio Rob, SASS #65136

Manatee used to live in a yellow house on the hill in Indiana, think he still does. He can cut and choke the barrels, probably do a good job smoothing up the gun as well. Search on the members page for his alias, shoot him a PM.

You can do most of the work yourself. I cut mine to 21" (filled the end of the housing between the barrels with JB Weld and smoothed it all up), put in a new brass bead (Brownell's kit), polished the chambers and hand beveled the chamber mouths. Be careful here--make sure the lower lip stays intact as it catches the cartridge head. Without it the shell will seat too deeply and you will get light firing pin strikes, or none at all. I did not work the trigger as it didn't need it, nor the lever spring. But I did polish all mating services so that it opens easily. A great gun. And for cowboy action shooting, I did not and would not bother with chokes. My I/M barrels knock them down with light loads, no problem.

Cassalong Hopidy

hate to see Browning BSS's hacked up.. but if you cut to 20" why bother with chokes?

Chokes are still chokes , no matter what the barrel length is. Even 18" barrels can have choke.

Another good Browning guy is Ol' #4 from Oregon.

Good luck , Rex :D

As far as chokes are concerned once barrels are cut your choke constriction is gone . The ability to install screw-in ckokes depends on wall thickness left. As stated many times the open cyl. left does the job at poppers at ranges we shoot. The time chokes do come in handy is when cowboy trap is played with same gun ( 16yd or more ). NK

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

A 20" bbl on a 97 puts the muzzle 24-25" from the front of the trigger... this means you can make the bbl on a SxS 24-26" and have a gun that is close to the OAL of the 97 that everyone has. Longer barrels point better, look better, and balance better. And don't look so stubby like a 20" whack job!

Good Luck!!

I have 2 Ol #4 BSS's. Well one he did the best he could to get back in good working order (my backup) and one he did the original work to. Would not trade them for anything. A good number of top shooters told me he was the go to guy on the BSS and they were right. Been shooting my #4 BSS for a couple years now without a hitch! One thing he will tell you and ya should really listen to is to keep the barrels at least 23 inches!!!!!!

Pard,

Wire Paladin here in PHX for WR-2011.

I have known OL#4 for 11 years. A great guy.

I have one of his tricked out BSS in 12 g.

The best shotgun decision I ever made.

W.P. #5954 Life-Regulator

Archived