SASS Wire Forum

How Did You Meet Your Spouse?

Bama Red

Didn't want to hijack Red Logan's bartender/psychiatrist post.

For my part-time job, I was working nights as a bartender back in '82 in a small neighborhood bar. The kinda place "where everyone knows your name", as they say. These two gals would come in after work a couple of times a week for Happy Hour, have a drink or two and head home.

If you've ever tended bar, you know that a good bartender can keep track of most of the conversations going on at the bar while he's working - even if its a busy night.

Anyway I heard Carole say to her girlfriend, "The bartender seems nice - do you know him?"

Whereupon Linda says, "Oh you don't want to get involved with him, he's married and has a young little girl." :o

Being a stickler for the truth (yeah, right!), I told Carole I was not married and didn't have any "little girl" at home, unless she counted my cat.

It'll be twenty-eight years this fall, and the two of us raised her three little girls! :lol:

Bama, we got a lot in common, met my wife working in a bar! And my so called friend warned her off because of a girlfriend that I did not have. That was 19 years ago and she is still my valentine :wub:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy:

I saw her in Church one Sunday (grandpa warned me not to go to church - "they baptize you, marry you, then bury you)...I saw her and everything in my body went SPROING!!!...took one year to get her to go out with me, one year of dating, one year of going to her house every Saturday explaining why I wanted to marry her and how I was going to support her to her mother, three sisters, and two brothers ---- that and two spokespersons to convince her mother I could/would take care of her (been doing it for nearly 50 years now) :-) Best thing I every waited for - three years was worth every minute (even when she gets crankier than Lucifer's younger sister - a rare happening) :-) AND Grandpa was right - burying is next in line. HAAA!

STL Suomi

There she was just walking down the street.

Singing oowa diddy diddy dum diddy doo. :lol:

Don't know when we met! We're first cousins (not from Arkansas!) and were raised together. I remember our Moms used to bathe us together as tiny tots......I guess we just got used to it! ;) ;) :P :P

Y'all loved each other RIGHT from the start, didn't 'cha?!?!

:D

~EE Taft~

I met my bride of almost 21 years now in a fabric store. I was checking out the remnants and seconds for SCA clothing. She was sitting at the patterns catalogs with her then husband (and soon to be ex) and saying things like "if I take this skirt and this bodice, and these sleeves...." I made the comment "Just go 12th century Saxon, the tunics are real simple." They were also SCA, had just moved back to the area.

So a year later, she was divorced and we were going to heralds meetings together down in Berkeley (no sense in both of us driving from Santa Rosa). Talking about light subjects - dead parents, religion, that kind of thing. 'bout that time my then wife decided that she needed to be out on her own and 'find herself' so I was going through a divorce.

We got married about a year after that, my ex was her matron of honour. What really sold us on being able to make it as a couple was that we were able to teach my ex-wifes boyfriend how to fix a Thanksgiving dinner, using a very small kitchen, and not get in each others way or knifing anyone.

My second senior year at Utah State University (I crammed a four year education into five years), the week before Christmas break, I was sitting in a little cafe in the middle of campus when this really cute frosh redhead walked in wearing a green plaid pleated skirt and a bulky knit green sweater. Being all shy and retiring like I am I asked her if she was in love with anybody. She told me she wasn't and I said, "Then how would you like to get married for a weekend?"

She laughed and said "okay, why not?" and walked into the other room of the cafe and sat down with three of my frat brothers and a couple of other girls.

Now nobody ever said "yes" before, so I gathered up my books, coffee, maple bars, and jacket and followed her. In the 45 seconds or so it took me to get there they had all agreed that I was NOT to know anything about her, nor even her name. MY BROTHERS!!!!!

Mid January I found out (through a ruse that would have made James bond proud) who she was, where she lived, and her student number. A week after that we had our first date and we got married in mid-July.

Everyone said it wouldn't last.

Maybe they were right. Our 46th anniversary is coming up in about five more months and we'll see how it goes after that. :P

Mescalero :wub: and I worked at the same hospital. We met at the salad bar in the cafeteria. Starting going out about a week later. Took him seven years to finally come to his senses and marry me....that was 12 years ago. I'm the luckiest girl in the world!

Lady Hawk meet me in a trucker bar, after I had just unloaded cattle in St. Paul.

I was in da bar fer 3 things..

#1 Drink...

#2 Listen to da band...

# 3 Dance..

Dat's all dat was on my mind.

Da band played my fave song...she knew da words by heart...

And we sang'em to each other, lookin' deep into each others eyes.

Den , it happened..just out of da blue..

When I wasn't lookin'... whn I least expected to find love...

It found me !!

Asked her to marry me, dat night, out there on da dance floor....

Got on one knee and asked her to marry me....

Been together fer 11 years...and still countin....:wub: :wub:

I met mine when she punched me in the nose during a drug arrest. I was a uniform deputy and responded to a call for "assistance" (actually they were yelling for help over the radio" in a drug raid. When I got there I saw this long haired woman punching out some guy. I bumped into her and she back handed me in the nose. I was going to skin her head with my 4 D cell Kel light when I saw her badge. It went uphill from there.

Whenever I tell people how I met the gal in my life they get a chuckle. 37 years ago I first met my wife-to-be in a mental ward at the local hospital, no neither one of us were the patient. I was a young single firefighter and the guys at the station said they had responded on a medical call involving an attractive girl and asked if could follow up on her condition. When I got there the room had several pretty gals visiting the patient, I introduced myself and visited for awhile. Well, I became a friend of the patient and would call and visit her at home. The friendship was not romantic, but we would go out to dinner and movies, she was very pretty. Then, one day she called me and asked if I remembered Sandi from that day at the hospital. Being polite, I said yes, I had no idea who this Sandi was. Well, the call was about Sandi needing a date for a company dinner, I said yes. When I arrived I still could not remembered what she looked like, but she opened the door I fell in love with one of the most beautiful gals I have ever met. We married 6 months later and now our love grows stronger every day.

Gol Darn it!

Yesterday, I typed up the story of Allie Mo meetin' her true love and must have clicked the wrong button as it's not here (and it wasn't x rated, political or ...) :angry:

Oh well, make something up for me, will ya?

Anyway, it will be a big 40 this December.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Gol Darn it!

Yesterday, I typed up the story of Allie Mo meetin' her true love and must have clicked the wrong button as it's not here (and it wasn't x rated, political or ...) :angry:

Oh well, make something up for me, will ya?

Anyway, it will be a big 40 this December.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Allie Mo was married, or I guess it would be promised in marriage many years before she was born, after all, how else could such a young lady have been married for 40 years come December?

My brother and I had gone out to the desert, plinking. When we got back to his house, my sister-in-law and her friend were baking for something or other. A few days later I asked her friend out and we were married 3 months later. 23 years this year.

I was doing a HALO jump, and lo and behold, I landed right in the middle of the National Finals Rodeo... on the back of the meanest bull in the arena. Well, to make a long story short, I broke that bull. He was eating alfalfa right out of my hand like a pet. I did a handspring over the railing and landed right next to Wildcat, who swooned in my arms. She has followed me around like a fed stray cat ever since. If I'm lyin' I'm dyin'... cough, wheeze, gasp. :wacko:

:unsure::blink: :blink:

I'd only been shooting in SASS a few months and my shotgun was toooo long for me, so some fellow shooters took me in to a shop to have a friend of their's cut it down to fit me.... I looked at him...saw no ring and thought, "hmmmm." He looked at me and saw no ring and thought, "hmmmm.' A couple of weeks later I'd gotten a '97 so I could shoot Wild Bunch and sent him an email asking if he could make me another "munchkin gun?" He told me to stop on by and he'd cut it for me. That night we talked for a while and after I got back to my place for the night, he sent me an email and asked if I'd be interested in getting to know each other better?? :P That was October '09.... we got married :wub: this past Sept. at a club match while standing on the gallows!! :D:D Then went out and shot a Wild Bunch match with our friends!

Miss Cubbie

P S - Some of our friends now call him..... Mr. Cubbie!

I'd only been shooting in SASS a few months and my shotgun was toooo long for me, so some fellow shooters took me in to a shop to have a friend of their's cut it down to fit me.... I looked at him...saw no ring and thought, "hmmmm." He looked at me and saw no ring and thought, "hmmmm.' A couple of weeks later I'd gotten a '97 so I could shoot Wild Bunch and sent him an email asking if he could make me another "munchkin gun?" He told me to stop on by and he'd cut it for me. That night we talked for a while and after I got back to my place for the night, he sent me an email and asked if I'd be interested in getting to know each other better?? :P That was October '09.... we got married :wub: this past Sept. at a club match while standing on the gallows!! :D:D Then went out and shot a Wild Bunch match with our friends!

Miss Cubbie

P S - Some of our friends now call him..... Mr. Cubbie!

Actually some of your friends call him "Miss Cubbie's Hubbie"

Whenever I tell people how I met the gal in my life they get a chuckle. 37 years ago I first met my wife-to-be in a mental ward at the local hospital, no neither one of us were the patient. I was a young single firefighter and the guys at the station said they had responded on a medical call involving an attractive girl and asked if could follow up on her condition. When I got there the room had several pretty gals visiting the patient, I introduced myself and visited for awhile. Well, I became a friend of the patient and would call and visit her at home. The friendship was not romantic, but we would go out to dinner and movies, she was very pretty. Then, one day she called me and asked if I remembered Sandi from that day at the hospital. Being polite, I said yes, I had no idea who this Sandi was. Well, the call was about Sandi needing a date for a company dinner, I said yes. When I arrived I still could not remembered what she looked like, but she opened the door I fell in love with one of the most beautiful gals I have ever met. We married 6 months later and now our love grows stronger every day.

You couldn't remember those blue eyes? What are you, DEAD? :P

I met my wife at M D Anderson Hosp. in Houston in 1971. Her Mom and my Dad were going through CHEMO at the same time. She was there with her Mom and I was there with my Parents. About a year later, I got a job as a Police Officer in the Metroplex. We started dating in 73 and got married in March of 74. She has put up with me being in Law Enforcement all these years and I worked the night shift about half of our married life. It will be 37 years for us. She is a wonderful lady. I am still "a work in progress".

There she stood

In the street

Smilin' from her head to her feet

I said hey

What is this

Maybe she's in need of a kiss

I had a college friend approach me because he wanted to ask a girl out, but wanted it to be a double date so there would be no pressure. We evaluated the single or unattached young ladies I could ask, with a special eye on the most important quality- a car. We selected a girl, I asked her to go with the three of us, and she accepted. At the last minute my friend chickened out, so I went with the girl I asked, just the two of us. We went to a movie, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". My date had up 'til them only been to two kinds of films- Disney movies and "The Sound of Music". Needless to say the movie was an eye opener for her, but she liked it, and we continued to date for 4 more years, until we got married in 1980. 30 years and still together.

Archived