SASS Wire Forum

How Did You Meet Your Spouse?

Bama Red

Didn't want to hijack Red Logan's bartender/psychiatrist post.

For my part-time job, I was working nights as a bartender back in '82 in a small neighborhood bar. The kinda place "where everyone knows your name", as they say. These two gals would come in after work a couple of times a week for Happy Hour, have a drink or two and head home.

If you've ever tended bar, you know that a good bartender can keep track of most of the conversations going on at the bar while he's working - even if its a busy night.

Anyway I heard Carole say to her girlfriend, "The bartender seems nice - do you know him?"

Whereupon Linda says, "Oh you don't want to get involved with him, he's married and has a young little girl." :o

Being a stickler for the truth (yeah, right!), I told Carole I was not married and didn't have any "little girl" at home, unless she counted my cat.

It'll be twenty-eight years this fall, and the two of us raised her three little girls! :lol:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gosh this will be fun.. lol. My first husband I met thru a mutal friend and he did sweep me off my feet after about 3 monhts, I lost him. My second thru a friend at work, and he turned out to have a bit of a drinking problem. My last one I knew since high school and well you know the story.

The current man in my life besides my Father is a friend, like him a lot, he is honest, faithful, sweet, funny, and a great friend that some day i am sure I will lose to a very nice woman, but for now he is my best friend. So, I guess he will have to count, cuz beyond him I have not found anyone I like as much.

After reading this today I felt I should mention I fell for him in 3 months not lost him.

Just over 41 years ago a Lawton girl came to a Geronimo basketball game. After the game her and her friends stopped at the 6 mile Y. I saw them at a table, walked over and said, "Can I play too?" Our first date was Valentine's Day. Got married in June that year. It ain't been perfect, but it's sure been good.

I met my wife at a square dance. My square dance club was visiting another club. My girlfriend at the time left me to go to Oregan. I was a little blue about it. After a few more dances I took her on our first date. A few months later I told her one day I'm going to marry you. she said you are, are you? Thirty five years later here we are. Best dance I ever went to.

My junior year of High School I noticed this dark haired girl sitting one row to my left in chemistry class. That was in the fall of 1963. Well I fell and I still can't get up. I asked her out twice and she had Proms to go to at other schools both times. "Yeah right" I thought she could just say no or at least come up with a new excuse. A week later she came up to me and asked if I still wanted to go out. I said yes and haven't been able to say no to her since.

Bugs

We had bumped into one another a couple of times on campus at college. One of my fraternity brothers had dated one of her good friends. He took a semester off due to the death of his father, came back to visit, and the four of us ended up spending most of the evening together. I walked her back to her dorm, where we spent a couple of hours chatting in the stairwell. I asked if I could call her and she said sure. I asked her number and she said "It's in the student directory (phone book)." Given her unusual first name and the spelling of her last name (old Scottish spelling) it was a test of sorts. One I passed. That was 1988. Last year was our twentieth anniversary.

We were doing theatre in Orange Country and Los Angeles. I was a dramatic actor (the method type lol) and she an off-broadway jazz dancer. The first show we meet was on the stage of Cabaret, I was Cliff and she was a Kit Kat dancer - I thought she was hot, she thought I was not :lol: . A year later we met on the stage in the production of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. I was Randy McMurphy and she, Candy Starr. Needless to say we hit it off.....After about 8 months of romance we wed at the Santa Ana Courthouse with the next day a ceremonial wedding on the stage we first met on - The Theatre District, at the Anti-Mall, Costa Mesa...sadly, it's no longer there. She has been my best friend ever since and I could not imagine a better life without her.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Joyce and I have known each other since high school days even tho we went to different schools. Her Dad and my Day were friends and worked together. Both of them like to shoot, hunt, fish and camp. Since Joyce was an only child she went to the trap range with her Dad. We were just friends at first, she had a boyfriend and I was dating several gals too. After high school we both went off to college (same one!) and I saw her there too, but still no spark! We both started working at the large areospace co. that both of our Dads worked at, I asked her out. :wub: Well we are still together after 47 years :) She doesn't shoot much anymore, only trap ocassionaly. My partner and best friend is the best choice I ever made ;)

I met my wife in a bar of all places.

I had just received notice that I had gotten full time legal and physical custody of my 2 children, a girl ages 9 and a boy age 7. When I told Marti, a good friend the news she told me to get a sitter cause I was going out with her and husband Don Friday night! Well I met a lot of people that night, many of them single women. And my wife Jean was one of them although she claims not to remember our meeting. That was October 22nd.

I'd see Jean from time to time at gatherings Don & Marti had, as Jean hung around with Donna, a good friend of Marti's. Don, Marti and I were in the same 4-wheel drive club so they knew my kids too.

I didn't get the nerve up to ask Jean out until late February because I'm kind shy and my dating experiences up to that point had not gone well in my opinion. Most of the women I met were divorced with kids and after seeing how the women interacted with and disciplined their kids and I could see potential problems I didn't want to deal with. Enough said on that topic.

Our 1st date was in March actually, we went to dinner and then to a Mickey Gilly concert with drinks afterward. I found out over drinks that Jean didn't like Mickey Gilly or country music, but wanted to go out to dinner so went to the concert too as she thought it would be pretty crass to skip the concert after dinner.

This was the date that almost wasn't. I had gone to the bar where we met one evening during the week while the kids were off with some friends, only to find the bar empty of everyone but the staff. I ordered a drink anyway, a couple three folks that I didn't know came in, followed by Jean. She got a drink and joined me at my table. After some get to know you conversation, I asked Jean for her phone number so I could call for a date. She rattled the number off like a machine gun. I grabbed a pen and napkin, asked her to repeat it so I could write the number down as I lost some of the number to the background noise. She replied that if I didn't catch it the 1st time she probably didn't want to go out with me. Well I sat there thinking "this girl is sure stuck on herself" and I'm not asking again. After a few more minutes of conversation she told me her number again and I called her a couple days later.

To keep the story short, I proposed to her on October 20th that year and we got married on October 20th of the next year (1984). Both kids were in the wedding and stood up with us.

Now 26 years late we have 5 grand children to go with our 2 kids and their spouses and we've stuck by each other through all the ups and downs, the good and bad. Jean brought a lot to the marriage, gave me balance in dealing with life and the kids, she championed them and stood up for them, and brought humor to our family. The kids see her as more their mother than their birth mother because she's been there for them, remembered birthdays & holidays, cried with them and laughed with them. And Jean's family has always treated the kids as if they were born to Jean.

My friend came back from the Student Union at the University of Missouri with the information that he had met "the" girl. Nothing would do but I get dressed and go back with him to meet her. I did and she was "the" girl. Except for me and not for him.

She asked me out on our first date. Roughly 53 years ago.

I met my wife in a bar of all places.

I had just received notice that I had gotten full time legal and physical custody of my 2 children, a girl ages 9 and a boy age 7. When I told Marti, a good friend the news she told me to get a sitter cause I was going out with her and husband Don Friday night! Well I met a lot of people that night, many of them single women. And my wife Jean was one of them although she claims not to remember our meeting. That was October 22nd.

Jim - Its a small world! Met my wife in a bar and we were married on October 22!

We met at a campground swimming pool........summer love kinda thing.

I knew her sister from school.

She was 15 and I was 16. Everyone said we were too young(and we probably were.) We got married when she was 17 and I was 18. Everyone said we were to young and wouldn't last..............

That was twelve years and three wonderful kids ago.......

We are lookin' forward to the next twelve.......and then some. :wub:

~EE & Mama Taft~

High School.

I believe it was right after the Civil War. :lol:

I was doing a HALO jump, and lo and behold, I landed right in the middle of the National Finals Rodeo... on the back of the meanest bull in the arena. Well, to make a long story short, I broke that bull. He was eating alfalfa right out of my hand like a pet. I did a handspring over the railing and landed right next to Wildcat, who swooned in my arms. She has followed me around like a fed stray cat ever since. If I'm lyin' I'm dyin'... cough, wheeze, gasp. :wacko:

Which one? I've had eight wives. Three currently.

OK, just kidding, I've only had one.

I first met Miz Grizz at a HS basketball game, she was maybe 15, I was 21 and had only gone to the game because one of my buddies was helping to coach the team. As it happens, my half brother went to that school, I hadn't seen him in a while as his mom and my dad had split up some time before that. Anyway, he introduced me to Miz Grizz and neither of us thought anything of it.

A couple years later her family started going to the church where I was going and we were in the same Sunday school class for college and career age folks. Well, I likes the ladies and I like to tease them given the chance, and Miz Grizz was no exception to that.

Back in that time I had a quarter horse mare who was a bit insane, well, one cold November day I'd gone out to ride, and just as I was swinging into the saddle, before I could get my feet in both stirrups, she took off into a full fledged rodeo buck. Witnesses say that I might have just made the buzzer for a full ride at the rodeo before I catapulted over her head in a front flip and landed on the frozen ground. I tore some ligaments in my leg and was on crutches for a while.

Anyway, one Sunday at church, the organist, who was a friend, suggested that Miz Grizz should carry my Bible out to my truck for me since I was on crutches, which she did. That same organist then told me I should take that sweet young thing out to lunch to say thanks, which I did. So that is how we met, but wait, that is not the end of the story...

The following valentines day, I picked her up from her last class of the day at the university, drove up to a scenic overlook on Flagstaff mountain and gave her a dozen roses, got down on one knee, told her I loved her and wanted to spend the rest of my life with her and would she marry me. Her reply "are you serious?" We'd talked in passing about getting married, but she knew that before I would ask, that I was going to ask her dad for permission, what she didn't know is that I'd done that the day before. But wait, that is still not the end of the story...

We set the date for about 18 months in the future when I would be done with college, after all with both of us going to school full time and living with our parents, it wasn't financially do-able to get a place of our own any sooner.

Well, by June of that year, we couldn't wait and eloped. We got married by a judge in Cheyenne Wyoming so that it wouldn't make any of the local papers. Our witnesses were Jane and Rhonda, a couple of secretaries or clerks or some such. That was 1985. Wait now, I'm not done yet. The kicker is that we didn't tell anyone until over a year later when after I'd graduated from college! So for the first year we were married, we lived apart other than an occasional weekend, and as much time as we could manage the rest of the time.

You always knew that I was a bit backwards, and know you know the rest of the story.

Grizz

We met at a campground swimming pool........summer love kinda thing.

I knew her sister from school.

She was 15 and I was 16. Everyone said we were too young(and we probably were.) We got married when she was 17 and I was 18. Everyone said we were to young and wouldn't last..............

That was twelve years and three wonderful kids ago.......

We are lookin' forward to the next twelve.......and then some. :wub:

~EE & Mama Taft~

Years or kids? :D

Grizz, kinda robbing the cradle there weren't you, just kidding, glad it has worked out for you

All for now JD Trampas

P.S. I'm just kidding you, I'm sure alot of others are thinking the same thing, I'm just telling you up front what it is, I don't hold back and that is my downfall according to some people, now if you hadn't posted your's and her age, nothing would have been said or thought any different, glad it has worked out for you all these years, that speaks volume's for your relationship, alot of people can't say that

She was 18 when I married her (I was 24), and yes, I robbed the cradle, and she robbed the grave! The 6 years difference doesn't seem so much now that I'm 50, but back then it seemed a bit more, and some folks did have a problem with it and told us so. What did they know, half of them haven't lasted as long! :D

No offense taken Pard.

Years or kids? :D

:lol::lol::lol::blink:

YEARS GRIZZ, YEARS!!

I don't think my ticker would handle that many more young'uns.

~EE Taft~

She was waitin' tables at a restaurant on the square up the street from where I worked. She was part timin' to suplement her income while attending college.

One day she mentioned that she was having trouble in her phys. ed. class with the tennis segment. I told her that I had lettered three times in tennis and would be happy to help.

She got an A, I got larger deserts from then on, she asked me out for New Years Eve, I did a custom window treatment on he car, she got into my music and racing, (do you see a pattern here?).

Be thirty-eight years this fall, (we got married in Aug. '76 after nearly three years) and we're still enjoyin' each other's passions. The latest examples are motorcycles and guns.

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

In 1991 I was at a sales meeting in Milwaukee and noticed a new inside customer service representative who worked for our west coast department and I asked her boss who she was and she said she started working there again she used to work in the warehouse. Mean while she asked her boss who the outside salesman was and her boss said he's the mid west sales manager and highest volume salesman in the company. So I asked her out a few times when I didn't have customers. When I came back home I talked to her everyday. After a few road trips to Milwaukee she said they were closing her department so I asked her to move to South Dakota and live with me. My boss asked her "What have you done to my boy?" So after living together for ten years I asked her to marry me. We were married for almost 10 years when she went up to the Big Guy in the sky, now she watches me at every shoot and gun show I go to. Twenty years is a long time to be with someone who enjoyed the cowboy way.

May she rest in peace.

ENG :FlagAm:

I was playing on a mens competitive soccer team, coaching a boys competitive soccer team, a girls competitive soccer team and a womens recreational team. On my free days was a referee and a referee instuctor. Friend says you need to get out more and got me to join up on his coed team. Sharon had been playing volleyball and softball and wanted another athletic endeavour so was trying the soccer thing. The guy she was dating at the time was non-athletic (but a nice guy). I thought she had great eyes and loved the way she smiled. Went to a organizational meeting (read bar-b-q party :) ) and we talked so much neither of us ate. Asked her out for the following weekend and we went for a hike in the mountains. Again did much more talking than anything else. Three months later asked her to marry me and to my utter amazement she said yes!!! :):):)

We celebrated 28 years last September.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

She was 18 when I married her (I was 24), and yes, I robbed the cradle, and she robbed the grave! The 6 years difference doesn't seem so much now that I'm 50, but back then it seemed a bit more, and some folks did have a problem with it and told us so. What did they know, half of them haven't lasted as long! :D

Griz I was 33 when I met a cute 23 year old "teacher in training" at my school. We've been together now for 20 years.

Ten years seemed like a lot back then, 20 years ago. Now it's like nothing.

Met my wife my senior year of High School. Four years later we were married. That was 37 years ago TODAY! Don't know how she put up with me, but I do have a special evening planned.

Griz I was 33 when I met a cute 23 year old "teacher in training" at my school. We've been together now for 20 years.

Ten years seemed like a lot back then, 20 years ago. Now it's like nothing.

Bob, I'll bet that raised some eyebrows back then!

A guy I worked with invited me over to his place for a couple drinks. His wife's cousin was invited as well. They thought we would hit it off together. That was in September '72. We had our first official date on Valentine's Day in '73. Married in August. We each had a child by previous marriage. Had two more of our own and now eight grand kids.

She was diagnosed with breast cancer in '88. Beat that and got Ovarian cancer in '91. Beat it twice, but it took her in '06. I didn't deserve such a wonderful and beautiful woman and when the Lord realized that he took her to be with him.

Happy Valentine's Day.

Willie

A guy I worked with invited me over to his place for a couple drinks. His wife's cousin was invited as well. They thought we would hit it off together. That was in September '72. We had our first official date on Valentine's Day in '73. Married in August. We each had a child by previous marriage. Had two more of our own and now eight grand kids.

She was diagnosed with breast cancer in '88. Beat that and got Ovarian cancer in '91. Beat it twice, but it took her in '06. I didn't deserve such a wonderful and beautiful woman and when the Lord realized that he took her to be with him.

Happy Valentine's Day.

Willie

Willie.

My deepest sympathy for your loss.

I was doing a HALO jump, and lo and behold, I landed right in the middle of the National Finals Rodeo... on the back of the meanest bull in the arena. Well, to make a long story short, I broke that bull. He was eating alfalfa right out of my hand like a pet. I did a handspring over the railing and landed right next to Wildcat, who swooned in my arms. She has followed me around like a fed stray cat ever since. If I'm lyin' I'm dyin'... cough, wheeze, gasp. :wacko:

Can someone loan me a big club and a shovel? I just KNOW that no one will testify against me. :lol:

Were you a roundhead or a cavalier?

I was a strict Parliamentarian before I became a Constitutionalist.

Up the Rebels! :lol:

Me and Ollie Cromwell used to have tea together. ;)

Archived