SASS Wire Forum

TTN 1897 Feed Problem?

Clemsum

A couple weeks ago at a local Wild Bunch Match and again yesterday at a local Cowboy match I had a shell hang up in the magazine tube. At the WB match it was the 5th of 6 shells in the tube and yesterday it was one I loaded through the bottom for a popper bird and it would not feed. At the unloading table, I found that the shell was hung up about 1/2" into the magazine tube where I apparently pushed it in farther than normal. After clearing the shell from the muzzle end of the magazine,I also checked with my finger and there is a ridge in the tube where the shell was lodged. I guess this is to keep the spring cap in the tube.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what was the fix??

Thanks for any help,

Clemsum

At the unloading table, I found that the shell was hung up about 1/2" into the magazine tube where I apparently pushed it in farther than normal. After clearing the shell from the muzzle end of the magazine,I also checked with my finger and there is a ridge in the tube where the shell was lodged. I guess this is to keep the spring cap in the tube.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what was the fix??

That ridge you feel inside the magazine is the spot where the mag tube enters the frame. All 97's I have, have a distinct transition from the larger inside diameter of the tube to the smaller id of the hole thru the frame. Unless you have a very sharp edge there, though, it should feed well.

My first inclination would be that you either have a lot of crud in the mag tube, or a weak or kinked mag tube spring. Check that the spring, when uncompressed, is a couple-three inches longer than the mag tube. Check for obvious kinks and mis-shaped coils. Check for a damaged or out of round follower. Clean and lube it well, lots of folks use Eezox or Boeshield, as those lubes will dry so that they do not grab dust and hold it in the tube.

If the first four of your shells fed during WB, then the 5th hung up, that screams a weak spring or crudded-up tube. Why would the first four feed fine if you have a burr at the tube to frame junction?

Also check that the shell holdersstops on the sides are moving freely to release the shell onto the carrier - they can get full of dirt, too.

Good luck, GJ

GJ

Thanks for the reply. I will check on the spring strength and cartridge stops, the gun was "slicked up" by a well known Cowboy gunsmith and the spring may have been cut and stretched. The ridge is not sharp

The mag tube and spring is clean and shiny, I am one of those strange people who was taught to clean a gun after each days shooting and I take out the mag spring and follower and swab out the tube on my rifle and the 97 after each session (have seen several other people's rifles not feed due to rust). I spray the action with brake cleaner & lube so I may be missing the stops.

Clemsum

Joe covered it well as usual.

I have pushed a single shell in too far and had the problem you mention.

Making sure the single round is not pushed in too far.

But if it is doing it as you mention, you may want a new spring. The gun may have been set up to load 6 in the tube, so the spring has to be shortened, but if done a little too much, you get that problem.

Joe covered it well as usual.

I have pushed a single shell in too far and had the problem you mention.

Making sure the single round is not pushed in too far.

But if it is doing it as you mention, you may want a new spring. The gun may have been set up to load 6 in the tube, so the spring has to be shortened, but if done a little too much, you get that problem.

Thanks, the gun does load 6 shells and probably has a weakened spring. I have ordered a new spring and will try cutting it a little at a time until I can just barely fill the tube.

Clemsum

Archived