SASS Wire Forum

another boot sole question

Cabalero Chuck

I came across a boot on the Shepler site that although it doesn't have an "aggressive lug" it also isn't "slip & fall-break your neck" smooth either.

A photo from the manufacturer shows the "trailing wedge grooves" which is about as good of a description as I can come up with:

http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/unknwn1/

Well, what do you say? Am I going to be sent back to the boot seller , or are these close enough to pass muster?

I believe they have only a mild tread that is hardly visible from the side. So they should be just fine.

The main restriction is for Classic Cowboy, but those "may" be fine even for that category.

Howdy,

Based on the new wording about boots, I'd say they are legal for Classic Cowboy. They look like they would guard against slipping rather than enhancing gripping.

From the SHB, "Boots are required and must be of traditional design with non-grip enhancing (i.e. “NO Lug”) soles. Mocassins are not allowed."

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS The same change occurred in B-Western. Only those boots would need fancy stitching or be multi color to be approiate there.

"Boots are required and must be of traditional design with fancy stitching or multi-color fancy design with with non-grip enhancing (i.e. “NO Lug”) soles."

looks fine to me for Classic Cowboy and all others except B Western - probably not enough "shaft stitching".

Good luck, GJ

As Allie noted, the verbiage re: boot soles in CC & BW has been clarified and edited to delete the requirements for "leather or smooth rubber..."

..."non-grip enhancing" is defined as NO LUG soles .

That is NOT a "LUG" sole.

Archived