SASS Wire Forum

Rifle hammer position from load table

Gary Norsk

gee...an "idiot"??? dont worry you were not the "fast and experienced shooter" either. I am striking nerves here....NEXT!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IJ,

btw - I was just makin' idle conversation now that the OP has been settled.

Not directed at anyone in particular ('cept maybe that unknown "Very Experienced Shooter")

;)

PWB

LB,

I used to surreptitiously post THIS LINK in the middle of a frustratingly futile discussion.

(from one of my G'Pa's frequent sayings)

Them what it was aimed at likely never caught on.

Ain't used THIS ONE in a long time neither.

;)

May have been a little to clandestine for those on the receiving end to wrap thier mind around.

Please add me to the list.

A bazillion years ago a loading table officer reached over and set the hammer of my '73 all the way down after I had inadvertently left it on the 'safety cock' notch.

Personally, I think it's nuts to call a penalty on a shooter before they have started shooting instead of simply correcting the situation. But if that's the rule then just add me to the list.

This is just one of the many reasons why I never operate the timer.

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

May have been a little to clandestine for those on the receiving end to wrap thier mind around.

Or surreptitious... ;)

Please add me to the list.

A bazillion years ago a loading table officer reached over and set the hammer of my '73 all the way down after I had inadvertently left it on the 'safety cock' notch.

Personally, I think it's nuts to call a penalty on a shooter before they have started shooting instead of simply correcting the situation. But if that's the rule then just add me to the list.

This is just one of the many reasons why I never operate the timer.

Howdy Driftwood,

A few years ago, many RO's (including some Instructors and a couple members of the RO Committee) dealt with the situation of a a rifle with cocked hammer coming from the LT to the staging position by simply having the shooter point the rifle downrange and pull the trigger...if it went "BOOM!"/BANG/or 'pop' (depending on the caliber/load) it was a SDQ as it was OBVIOUS that there had been 'movement with a cocked/loaded firearm' (with an unfired round under the cocked hammer).

If it went "click"...it was NO CALLed & the shooter was directed to stage the rifle and prepare for the "beep".

The subject came up during a rules discussion and the final determination was that it was considered moving with a cocked/loaded firearm (action closed) regardless whether there was a round under the hammer...and subject to a SDQ penalty.

There were no provisions made to write in an 'exception' for that ONE (not uncommon, IMO) scenario.

The "Glossary of Terms" definition of HAMMER DOWN makes it clear that the penalty applies even with the hammer in the "safety/half cock" notch.

FWIW - the decision on that issue was not unanimous.

:ph34r:

PWB

btw - I've added your name to the list as requested.

:P

Putting the hammer fully down on a Marlin 1894 Cowboy or similar actions is an unsafe condition.

???????

If there is no round under the hammer, how is it unsafe? What am I missing about the 1894 Cowboy?

Putting the hammer fully down on a Marlin 1894 Cowboy or similar actions is an unsafe condition.

elfego :FlagAm:

Not according to SASS rules.

Exactly how is THIS unsafe?

15. Rifles may be staged down range from the shooter with the magazine loaded, action closed, hammer down and chamber empty.
SHB p.23

:wacko:

Way back in the dark ages many of us came to the line with the rifle hammer at full cock, chamber empty. We were all shooting bone stock Rossi 92s and Win 94s. No action jobs. The things were clunky and this made it easier to cock for the first shot. We all knew the chambers were empty and no one had any heart burn about it. This is kinda like the SASS rule about muzzle up carry of 2row shotguns. I would hope the vote was not unanimous. How can a hammer all the way down on the firing pin be safer than a hammer at the safety notch? orwellian. up is down. war is peace. We have met the enemy and he is us.

LB,

I used to surreptitiously post THIS LINK in the middle of a frustratingly futile discussion.

(from one of my G'Pa's frequent sayings)

Them what it was aimed at likely never caught on.

Ain't used THIS ONE in a long time neither.

;

?

Hey Phantom, I read a post on another thread by Red River Ray. It said, "Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to thier level and beat you with experience". Dont let them drag you down my friend.

Well, post what you will, but there is no excuse for being rude and it sure isn't the cowboy way. Someone stating an experience or opinion does not make them an idiot......or anyone else on here anymore intelligent.

elfego :FlagAm:

????

You are going to have to explain that one to me. :huh:

Have done it with our Marlin for 7 years.

Me for the first 3-4 and now the wife.

Do it at every match at every stage.

Please explain this one to me???

True, but most of us have learned the HARD way that like spotting (which IS addressed in the rules for family) timing the wife and such can make for a looooonnnnngggg drive home when the wheels come off the wagon! :blink::lol:^_^

Howdy WR,

FYI - There is NO RULE re: running the timer for a family member.

Well, post what you will, but there is no excuse for being rude and it sure isn't the cowboy way. Someone stating an experience or opinion does not make them an idiot......or anyone else on here anymore intelligent.

Well in my opinion, people who only shoot two shoots at thier club since january 2010 should do less talkin on the wire and spend more time going to shoots. Heck with a little practice they might even finish above the middle of the pack. Might even try asking one of those "Fast and Knowledgeable" shooters IJ was tryin to ridicule for a few pointers.

Well in my opinion, people who only shoot two shoots at thier club since january 2010 should do less talkin on the wire and spend more time going to shoots. Heck with a little practice they might even finish above the middle of the pack. Might even try asking one of those "Fast and Knowledgeable" shooters IJ was tryin to ridicule for a few pointers.

Well now, I did just shoot a couple times at "my club" last year but then I didn't become a member until November. If you really wanted to tally all my cowboy shooting you need to check Clebune, Fredericksburg, Marble Falls, My club, Abilene, and Oklahoma........You are correct about me being slow, but I didn't began Sass until after I was fifty years old.

Hey!

Stop picking on slow shooters. :angry:

BTW, for several years, I used to shoot in the top half more than the bottom because I shot every week and practiced. Now I'm lucky when I get out of the bottom 1/3-1/4. I can no longer practice.

It's tough enough getting old for some of us without Wire abuse over our placement in the pack.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I wasnt "trying to ridicule" anybody but I must have struck a nerve. I am "trying" not to laugh.

Rude...you can't tell rude by simply reading post.

You need to go back and look at the post again before jumpin in with the opinion you have here...now this is just my opinion.

Folks need to grow up and stop with the pointing fingers at certain groups...which is exactly what Indian Jack did.

And then for him to assume that he's somehow stuck a nerve...that's just laughable. It wasn't his post that struck a nerve as though he somehow exposed some kind of hidden truth. It was the fact that in his post he exposed his blatent bias against those that shoot this game with speed.

I'll attack ALL DAY LONG those that attack how others play this game within the rules.

Indian Jack - feel free to talk to me in person...and Concho Billy, that goes for you too.

:FlagAm:

CC, I probably will get a lot of heat for this, but since you obviously know the rules, why were you timing her?

WR

7. Score Keeper

A) Score Keepers must never record scores for a family member.

8. Spotters

A) Must never spot for a family member.

ROI Handbook, page 9. Nothing in there about a timer, even though its possible for a person to cheat there as well. Cheating may go on, but I've never seen it.

a a local match a few weeks ago a "very experienced shooter" called my friend for NOT having his rifle hammer on the half cock position as he was setting his rifle down at the rifle position on the stage. he didnt SDQ him but told him to put it on the half cock position before he started shooting.

all I did was say that someone was told that his rifle needed to be on half cock and that this was a very experienced shooter telling my buddy that.(to differentiate him from a newbie) ...I also did not want to identify the experienced shooter so that not to embarass him. I have always thought we ALL should tke a second look at ourselves because we all cant know everything..

I play this game for my reasons and one of them is to spend quality time with my son and he has really benefitted from this game safetywise. Spendng times with my friends is secondary to that as one of my fellow shooters works with me in a very demanding profession and we need the break from the people we deal with.

all I did was say that someone was told that his rifle needed to be on half cock and that this was a very experienced shooter telling my buddy that.(to differentiate him from a newbie) ...I also did not want to identify the experienced shooter so that not to embarass him. I have always thought we ALL should tke a second look at ourselves because we all cant know everything..

I play this game for my reasons and one of them is to spend quality time with my son and he has really benefitted from this game safetywise. Spendng times with my friends is secondary to that as one of my fellow shooters works with me in a very demanding profession and we need the break from the people we deal with.

That post was fine...no problem. But then you added: Lets just call him "Very Experienced Shooter" and let it go at that...this way all the "fast and knowledgeaable shooters" might take a second look at themselves.

This is why folks jumped ya...

Rude...you can't tell rude by simply reading post.

You need to go back and look at the post again before jumpin in with the opinion you have here...now this is just my opinion.

Folks need to grow up and stop with the pointing fingers at certain groups...which is exactly what Indian Jack did.

And then for him to assume that he's somehow stuck a nerve...that's just laughable. It wasn't his post that struck a nerve as though he somehow exposed some kind of hidden truth. It was the fact that in his post he exposed his blatent bias against those that shoot this game with speed.

I'll attack ALL DAY LONG those that attack how others play this game within the rules.

Indian Jack - feel free to talk to me in person...and Concho Billy, that goes for you too.

ok, calling me out........how about high noon next time we shoot the same place........checkers or a spelling contest?

ok, calling me out........how about high noon next time we shoot the same place........checkers or a spelling contest?

Fer gawds sake...this really isn't the 19th century...calling ya out... :wacko:

Just as I wasn't "Calling" Indian Jack out...I was just sayin that since we shoot at the same places...that we could always hold this conversation in person...where if ya think I'm rude you can tell me all about it in person. Nothing threatening about it.

OY!!!!!

Fer gawds sake...this really isn't the 19th century...calling ya out... :wacko:

Just as I wasn't "Calling" Indian Jack out...I was just sayin that since we shoot at the same places...that we could always hold this conversation in person...where if ya think I'm rude you can tell me all about it in person. Nothing threatening about it.

OY!!!!!

Yea, that was attempt at humor and I didn't say you were rude.......I said the statement was rude and you didn't post it.

only one jumped me

That's fine...if that's the way you see it. I'm glad I jumped you for such a silly statement.

And Concho Billy, my statement's Rudeness was proportional and appropriate for the statement that I was responding to.

ONLY on the wire could a question be answered on the 1st post, carry on to be 2 pages long, and end in arguments. See Charlie? I'm being BRILLIANT again ;)

hud

ONLY on the wire could a question be answered on the 1st post, carry on to be 2 pages long, and end in arguments. See Charlie? I'm being BRILLIANT again ;)

hud

Hud - you'z always BRILLIANT!

And aren't threads that have already answered the O.P. question meant to be hijacked??? I mean...what other use is there for them?

:blink:

Archived