SASS Wire Forum

screw in chokes for Stoeger

The Original Bad Bob

So, I like this Stoeger Coach Gun a whole lot, and thinkin' about taking it turkey hunting this spring, but need some extra full chokes.

Very little info online about these. One site says they take the same chokes as Winchester, Benelli, Beretta, and Mossberg.

Any one know if this is true?

So, I like this Stoeger Coach Gun a whole lot, and thinkin' about taking it turkey hunting this spring, but need some extra full chokes.

Very little info online about these. One site says they take the same chokes as Winchester, Benelli, Beretta, and Mossberg.

Any one know if this is true?

I use mossberg 500 choke tubes in mine.

OBB,

It is at least partly true. I've changed out many Stoeger Coach Gun choke tubes with Mossberg/Winchester tubes. According to Hunter's Specialties (makers of turkey choke tubes) Browning invector, Weatherby, Ithaca, H&R, and Charles Daly o/u will also intechange. The Beretta and Benelli will fit Stoeger M2000 and Gazelle,which I think are o/u or maybe semi autos.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

I don't know if they are any different than the flush one's, but the choke tubes that come with the Stoeger Coach gun that Dick's Sporting Goods sells stick out the end of the barrel by an inch or more.

They also have a pronounced ribbed profile. It might be worth checking into. I asked about the gun's model number (*something* 3000) because it was entirely different than anything I saw when studying the Stoeger coach gun site.

Stoeger chokes are the same as Winchokes.

I shoot CAS with two cyl bore winchokes in my Stoeger. I screw in two Imp cyl winchokes if I have to take on a clay pidgeon.

I got mine at Trulock's. They are in Whigham, Georgia.

http://www.trulockchokes.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi

I had them check the choke from my Stoeger Coachgun and found out it had an odd thread. They do make the choke tube for it. I bought from them a Winchoke and it works just fine.

Original Bad Bob, be sure in whatever tubes you choose to use that you check the inside of the bore to make sure that there are no gaps between bore and choke tube! I called Cabella's to get a generic turkey tube that fit the specific Stoeger model that I had so I could mill a slot in the side of the tube to make a thread chaser to clean out the threads (since I was shooting black powder in SASS). The tube he sent matched up thread wise, however it left a .1 inch gap between bore and tube. If I had of fired a shell out of that gun in that configuration, I would have been left with a peeled banana looking shotgun and NO choke tube. Just a word of caution. Smithy.

Or maybe it's the other way around! I just found this at the Trulock website:

BENELLI/FRANCHI/STOEGER

Choke Type Identification (Notches)

Full Choke: I notch

Improved Modified: II notches

Modified: III notches

Improved Cylinder: IIII notches

Cylinder: IIIII notches

Archived