SASS Wire Forum

A cowboy needs a hat

DocWard

I finally got one. Mrs. Doc got it for me as an early birthday present. A nice Stetson straw. Since I am not quite clear on a "persona" yet, and haven't decided how far I want to go in that regard, that made the most sense, since it is cool in the summer and will stand up to rain and dirt a bit better than a felt. The kit is coming together.

Will try to get pictures, and possibly a new avatar, sometime soon.

I will post some as soon as I can, but my camera has gone missing for awhile now. The last I recall I had loaned it to my daughter. She claims she doesn't have it, but I still have a lurking suspicion it may be in the chaos that is a teenager's room.

If it helps, this is the hat:

http://www.thefedorastore.com/Stetson-Black-Berry-Wester-p/8130-blackberry.htm

Perhaps a bit modern for the typical SASS shoot, but something I can also wear at Quarter Horse shows if the mood strikes me.

it is cool in the summer and will stand up to rain and dirt a bit better than a felt. The kit is coming together.

But felt hats become seasoned with rain and dirt and acquire significant character.

A straw hat only provides shade. ;)

But felt hats become seasoned with rain and dirt and acquire significant character.

A straw hat only provides shade. ;)

Yep, and once I figure out what direction I want to go with this, I will get one for that reason.

Rick, I wear a 7 3/8.

Sun Body makes some real nice Palm hats that are a little more period in design and are not that expensive.

I just don't like that I cannot wear it when shooting Classic, even though it is period.

Doc

Yep, and once I figure out what direction I want to go with this, I will get one for that reason.

Rick, I wear a 7 3/8.

Yer in luck Pard! Check my post in the classifieds, have several in that size.

Grizz

Yer in luck Pard! Check my post in the classifieds, have several in that size.

Grizz

It would be bad form not to wear the one Mrs. Doc got me at least for awhile. Besides, I do like it. If you have any in my size left next time you come to Ohio, give me a shout ahead of time and we'll talk. Thanks for thinking of me, though!

As much as I like visiting Ohio, I don't see getting back there anytime soon. It's far cheaper to fly my daughter there and back than make a road trip. Though I imagine we will have to make a road trip out there in three, or four years...providing she doesn't up and decide to change schools. But she loves it there so I don't see that happening. I just hope we can afford to keep her there...

As much as I like visiting Ohio, I don't see getting back there anytime soon. It's far cheaper to fly my daughter there and back than make a road trip. Though I imagine we will have to make a road trip out there in three, or four years...providing she doesn't up and decide to change schools. But she loves it there so I don't see that happening. I just hope we can afford to keep her there...

I understand entirely. Well, if she doesn't decide to change schools, I hope all else works out!

Sun Body makes some real nice Palm hats that are a little more period in design and are not that expensive.

I just don't like that I cannot wear it when shooting Classic, even though it is period.

Doc

I use the palm hats when I am irrigating the pasture. For me, they hold up to my sweating head much better than traditional straw types. I have yet to make it though a summer with a straw hat that did not collapse and droop. (although for some that is a good look) :)

For CAS I like the look of felt, wear them year round and have never really been bothered by the heat when wearing one. Opinions vary.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Archived