SASS Wire Forum

Bond Arms Texas Defender

Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580

So I'm thinking about spending some pennies on a Bond Arms Texas Defender (the one with the trigger guard) as a pocket carry gun. I like the idea of the .45/410 version. I even already have a box of 410 pistol shells that I got in a trade. I realize that a gun that small will be a handful with .45 or 410 loads either one, but even so I'm looking for suggestions for carry loads in .45 Colt for this little critter. Can any of you fine folks offer some suggestions? Does anybody pack one of these in the hip pocket of their Wranglers?

Thanks in advance...

I had an American Derringer 45 LC (can't have the /& 410 version in California), and it's about the same heft as the Bond Arms models. I used to carry Hornady's Critical Defense Ammo with 185 grain FTX bullets (Flexible Tip eXpanding). It had a polymer tip in the hollow point tip of the bullet to aid in feeding and flight and later expansion which it was very good at. One thing though, it was more than a handful to cap one of those cartridges off out of such a small gun. You certainly knew you had just shot something after letting one off. I would practice with my cowboy loads and carry it with the Hornady loads. Smithy.

Think again. I have the very gun you ask about. It is humongous and very very heavy. It makes the American Derringer Company version appear svelte. I took the trigger guard off as it serves NO purpose.

Almost any other gun you can imagine would be a better choice. Two rounds and very slow to reload. A 5 round 38 snub weighs less. My 45 Colt total titanium Taurus snub weighs less and has 3 more of the same rounds. An LCP or Kel Tec 3AT or P32 also weigh MUCH less and hold many more rounds.

The Bond is the best derringer but only good for CAS side matches and snake shootin' while fishing. If a man were to carry one in the back pocket, he better have a good belt or suspenders or preferably both. Nope, just not a good choice for SD and pocket carry. If you feel you must carry the honkin' heavy big ole 2 shooter you would be well advised to use a good holster.

I agree. We recently got a cowboy defender and it is a lot heftier and wider than you would think. The owner of the gunshop even made sure that I wasn't thinking of using it for a carry gun. There are a lot of better choices for pocket carry. On the other hand, I really like the bond derringer and can't wait to use it in some side matches!

I had an American Derringer 45 LC (can't have the /& 410 version in California), and it's about the same heft as the Bond Arms models. I used to carry Hornady's Critical Defense Ammo with 185 grain FTX bullets (Flexible Tip eXpanding). It had a polymer tip in the hollow point tip of the bullet to aid in feeding and flight and later expansion which it was very good at. One thing though, it was more than a handful to cap one of those cartridges off out of such a small gun. You certainly knew you had just shot something after letting one off. I would practice with my cowboy loads and carry it with the Hornady loads. Smithy.

Smithy just wonderin can you own a Bond in .357 in Cal.? I don't see it on they're stupid "approved" list. Rye

Got the model without the trigger guard. Carry it in a jacket pocket, a belt holster, a custom shoulder holster, or overall bib sometimes but prefer it stashed in unusual places (in a big-mouth thermos, as example). I feel it has its place and is a good SD gun for close range, low light use.

Winchester's PDX1 .410 loads contain 3 discs and a dozen BBs. The damage they inflict at 5 steps and closer aint to be sneezed at. One of these shells is kept loaded in the top barrel and is set to go first. That barrel's P.O.I. is about 4" high at seven steps with my standard 45 Colt handload with a 250 gr SWC. The 250 gr. 45 Colt, carried in the bottom barrel, is dead on at 7 steps and, with practice, is effective at much greater range.

I have the Cowboy Defender without the trigger guard. I tried both and found no purpose to the trigger guard when trying both.

I do carry the Bond in the woods as a snake gun. I have a buck-n-ball load that I made up using Speer shotshell cases. One piece of 00 buckshot and the rest filled with #9 shot.

I'm with the others in saying that the Bond is probably not the best option for a personal carry gun. It is heavy and holds only two shots. The hammer and trigger are VERY heavy and don't lend themselves to tuning. My carry gun is a Chiefs Special.

But as they say, any gun is better than no gun. I've played around with the Winchester and Federal 410 defensive ammo, shooting them into clay banks at the creek at my parents' farm. 3 discs and a bunch of heavy shot is very effective. Also 3-5 pieces of 00 buckshot would work. If a Bond is what you want for carry, I recommend the 410 defensive ammo.

P.S. The recoil is certainly not as bad as folks would think. It is stout, but very manageable and fun to shoot.

In answer to those fine gentlemen who recommended against this critter as a carry gun, it would actually be a back up to either my Smith 625 loaded with Silvertips, my Smith 65 loaded with Fiocchi 158 grain XTP's, or my SP101 loaded with Buffalo Bore lead semi-wadcutter hollowpoints. One or the other of these is my principal carry gun, along with at least one reload. I fully realize that two shots and a dang slow reload is not the ideal carry scenario, but I thought it might come in handy in a SHTF situation. I'm also open to considering a smaller caliber, say either .38 special or .32 H&R Mag...

Anybody else want to chime in and tell me what an idiot I am for even thinking of carrying such a gun around at any time? :D:lol:

I always thought that if I used mine - the load would be a full charge of BP and 250 grains of lead. That way you would only need one shot. The roar, flames and burning sulfur would make any BG think he had died and went to hell. Any other BG would be A$$holes and elbows leaving the scene. Same would be true if carrying SAA. Anyhow that my story and I am sticking with it! <_<

:angry::FlagAm::angry:

I have two of the Bond Cowboy derringers.:wub:

One is in 357, the other 45/410.:wub:

Carry both, Yes they are heavy, but they shoot straight, N' work very well with the Holy Black.:wub:

:angry::FlagAm::angry:

:ph34r:

I would carry MAG-SAFE. The BOND and American Derringer are designed for UP CLOSE and personal social use. Remington Golden Sabre or Federal Hydroshok.

Why carry a 2 shot shooter when a S&W Mod 637 is about the same weight and holds 5 rounds?

:blush:

I would carry MAG-SAFE. The BOND and American Derringer are designed for UP CLOSE and personal social use. Remington Golden Sabre or Federal Hydroshok.

Why carry a 2 shot shooter when a S&W Mod 637 is about the same weight and holds 5 rounds?

:blush:

Because it'll fit in my boot or my back pocket better? :D

Think again. I have the very gun you ask about. It is humongous and very very heavy. It makes the American Derringer Company version appear svelte. I took the trigger guard off as it serves NO purpose

You are right Lone Dog! The Bond Derringer is around a half a pound heavier than its American Derringer cousin. Wow! No wonder that gun was kicking my butt. I actually had a M4 (4" barrel) in 45-70 that I capped off a few rounds in before I said "to heck with this" and sold the wrist breaker. Unfortunately in California, we can't buy either the American or Bond Derringers, just barter and trade used ones that are already in the state. That means no Bonds had the fortune of making it before the stupid law was passed. Smithy.

Charlie, nobody called you an idiot. We were just trying to be helpful. Your choice to be grateful or not. And march off to the beat of a different drummer, blithely ignoring the naysaying nattering nabobs. Terrible boot gun unless you have some kind of holster like a wallet holster to keep the muzzle from eating your ankle bone off. If I had to carry it I would not feel unarmed but, like you I would only use it for a back up to the primary carry. As such I would carry #6 bird shot in it -- good for both 2 legged and no legged snakes.

Charlie, nobody called you an idiot. We were just trying to be helpful. Your choice to be grateful or not. And march off to the beat of a different drummer, blithely ignoring the naysaying nattering nabobs. Terrible boot gun unless you have some kind of holster like a wallet holster to keep the muzzle from eating your ankle bone off. If I had to carry it I would not feel unarmed but, like you I would only use it for a back up to the primary carry. As such I would carry #6 bird shot in it -- good for both 2 legged and no legged snakes.

Sorry pard, I was hoping that the smilies would indicate that I was joshing about the idiot part. Apparently it didn't work, and I apologize...

I am always grateful for the info that I get from the fine folks here on the Wire, even if I don't always agree with it, which sometimes happens...

To small a package to be tryig to deliver a high nitro package from, besides, there is a reason for going with 45. Since I give extra credit for big holes over high speed a moderate Cowboy 45 Special load would be fine, think 45acp. And this brings me to my actual choice, Colts New Agent, which caries much more fire power in a very competitively sized package. I can imaging no situation, other than playing cowboy, where a Deringer would be the weapon of choice, even for want of a 45/410 combo we now have the Judge.

Archived