SASS Wire Forum

Ruger OM Vaquero...

Waimea

Howdy Pards

I am considering modifying the hammers on my OM Vaqueros.

I have been shooting Duelist the last couple matches and I think the lower hammers would really help.

The super Blackhawk hammers are good but I love the Bisley hammers.

I'd rather not buy them just to find out they don't fit the OM.

Anybody have any experience dropping new hammers in an old Vaquero?

Blackhawk

Bisley :wub:

If'n yer a Duelist and believe I am headed down the Road to Perdition by considerin' this, don't be shy. Speak up.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

If you look at the photo of the Super Blackhawk hammer and the Bisley hammer you will notice a hump on the back of the Bisley hammer. It won't fit in a OMV gripframe without modifying either the hammer or the backstrap. In either event it isn't a SASS legal mod unless you also change the gripframe to a Bisley configuration. Then you also need to buy a new trigger. Go with the SBH hammer. Cheaper, easier, and legal.

I have recently installed SBH hammers in my Vaqueros, however due to the miserable weather in this part of the country, I have not shot them yet.Also I do not shoot Duelist. That said, my dry-firing leads me to believe that the SBH hammers would greatly aid a Duelist. As is often said here, "try before you buy". Cap'n H.

If you look at the photo of the Super Blackhawk hammer and the Bisley hammer you will notice a hump on the back of the Bisley hammer. It won't fit in a OMV gripframe without modifying either the hammer or the backstrap. In either event it isn't a SASS legal mod unless you also change the gripframe to a Bisley configuration. Then you also need to buy a new trigger. Go with the SBH hammer. Cheaper, easier, and legal.

Legal is good.

Thanks for pointing out that big hump on the Bisley hammer. Not sure how I missed it.:wacko:

Comparing the SBH hammer and the OM hammer side by side shows that they are much more similar.

That Bisley hammer sure is sweet though. Guess I'm just gonna have to pop that dream bubble.^_^

Thanks, Larsen

Waimea

Thanks for advise, Pards.

It's good to talk about this stuff before you try it.

Saves a lot of wear and tear on the finances.

I'd rather spend my money on shoots than something I can't use (like Bisley hammers).

AJ: I replaced the original springs with Wolf as soon as I bought the guns. Big difference.

Ride easy,

Waimea

I bought two used SUPER BLACKHAWK hammers and installed them on Original Size VAQUEROS with 7.5 inch barrels and DRAGOON grip frames...both 44s. They worked fairly well, but both guns will get professional trigger jobs soon.

I liked the SBH hammers so much that I order four more from BROWNELLS...back ordered, of course...that arrived in January. Two on 5.5 inch stainless 44 guns with HUNTER grips frames and the others on 5.5 inch 357s with XR3-red grip frames. Triggers were bad before...now they are terrible! and they're definitely going for trigger jobs.

While the hammers are a drop in, chances on a good trigger with factory new parts doesn't appear likely. Jim Stroh at ALPHA PRECISION in Georgia does excellent work...gets them down to 2.5 to 3 pound pulls that have been trouble free on high round count guns. His work tends to ruin you for anything less...and factory triggers really feel bad now.

I shot SUPER BLACKHAWKS for 30 years until I got my first BISLEY. When I got into VAQUEROS, I had either DRAGOON or BISLEY grip frames, but now I have come to prefer the HUNTER almost as much as the BISLEY. The HUNTER sure looks and feels good on the Original Size VAQUERO, especially the 7.5 inch 44s.

Recently started shooting duelist and put in SBH hammers in my original Vaquero and shot them yesterday. It was a major improvement in being able to reach the hammer and the serrations are a lot more positive (it did not feel like my thumb would slip off of the hammer).

Dropped in with no problem.

All I shoot is Duelist or GFer.

Have changed to the SBH hammers on all our guns. Except of course my beloved Ruger Bisleys.

The Ruger Bisleys are my normal main match guns.

But sometimes shot the V's with the SBH hammers.

If your get a chance. Try a pair of the Bisleys.

You may want a pair. :unsure:

All I shoot is Duelist or GFer.

Have changed to the SBH hammers on all our guns. Except of course my beloved Ruger Bisleys.

The Ruger Bisleys are my normal main match guns.

But sometimes shot the V's with the SBH hammers.

If your get a chance. Try a pair of the Bisleys.

You may want a pair. :unsure:

Anvil Al

Larry Earp showed me his Bisleys the other day. Pretty much what got me on the kick. He uses them for Duelist, GF and Outlaw.

They look and feel real nice but I was looking for a solution that didn't involve new guns. Drop in hammers are way more in my budget right now.

Waimea

Archived