SASS Wire Forum

Just what I needed.

Utah Bob #35998

Wife heard "something dripping" in the laundry room. Turns out the water heater is rusted out at the lower heating element and leaking. Can't tell how long but I suspect for a while. Got it shut off and draining now. Looks like a lot of work in the am. Gonna be a major job to get it out of there and replaced. Hopefully I can dry the subfloor out and not have to do any carpentry on top of the plumbing and electric.

I hate water heaters. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Pardon my whining.

all i can say Bob is it sucks to be you right now, sorry about your water heater

...there are many stories associated with hot water heaters and fixing them at our house...

...I share your hate of the beasties!!!!!

Eww... been there a couple of times.

Next time for me I'm goin' tankless.

I'm amazed at how many traditional, tank-type heaters are installed without a "catch pan" beneath 'em. That $20 pan can save a lot of grief someday... :mellow:

Eww... been there a couple of times.

Next time for me I'm goin' tankless.

I'm amazed at how many traditional, tank-type heaters are installed without a "catch pan" beneath 'em. That $20 pan can save a lot of grief someday... :mellow:

Do they require you to have an erthquake band around your tanks down in CA? They do up our way.

Won't help in the current situation, but something to think about for the future is installing a water softner. We have an electic water heater and I swear the water softner is responsible for taking care of lots of household problems.

Do they require you to have an erthquake band around your tanks down in CA? They do up our way.

Yup... stand-up tanks have to be secured.

The leak UB had is pretty common in these parts - I've replaced one of my own and a couple of other folk's tanks after they gave way. In each instance there was water damage to floors or stored materials that was a LOT worse than just changing the heater. Could've been avoided with a pan piped to the outdoors or a drain.

Mine gave out about six years ago. It was 26 years old. When our house was built the heater was put on a hefty wooden box about 2 feet to a side, out in the garage on a properly sloped concrete floor. I took the old one out, built a new box out o 4" 4" and 1" plywood, and had a neighbor help get the new one up on the box. Anchored it to the wall with Ace hardware straps designed for the job, and called the gas company to check it out to make sure I'd done everything right.

Everything worked out perfectly, but if I ever have this one give out I'll call a pro. I'm too old for that to do it again. Those things are heavy and unwieldy. (Like that word "unwieldy"?)

BTW, we had a Culligan rental system installed when we moved in 34 years ago. I don't have to worry about adding salt, don't worry about the environmental issues (it doesn't use salt and the company recycles everything), and a bar of bath soap last almost 2 months.

None of the above good stuff was by my planning. I just lucked into a good combination.

Wife heard "something dripping" in the laundry room. Turns out the water heater is rusted out at the lower heating element and leaking. Can't tell how long but I suspect for a while. Got it shut off and draining now. Looks like a lot of work in the am. Gonna be a major job to get it out of there and replaced. Hopefully I can dry the subfloor out and not have to do any carpentry on top of the plumbing and electric.

I hate water heaters. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Pardon my whining.

http://tanklesswaterheaterguide.com/

This country seems to be one of the few that store hot water rather than make it on demand. Tankless may be a good option for ya pard. Luv 'em.

http://tanklesswaterheaterguide.com/

This country seems to be one of the few that store hot water rather than make it on demand. Tankless may be a good option for ya pard. Luv 'em.

They're nice but what with medical bills rolling in that's not an option unfortunately. :(

At least the tank heters are more efficient than they were a few years ago.

Considered a tankless, but it would have entailed rebuilding a lot of my house, adding gas lines, rewiring, new vents, etc, and more money than it would save in the years I have left. If I were building new I'd go tankless in a blink, but retrofitting isn't always practical.

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt with 3 different houses and I think the current one may be on its last legs. Fortunately, the heater was in the basement standing on concrete each time. I don't mind the plumbing part, but old water heaters gain weight with time like mattresses and getting rid of them sucks.

Hope your floor turns out ok. Good luck!

BTW, we had a Culligan rental system installed when we moved in 34 years ago. I don't have to worry about adding salt, don't worry about the environmental issues (it doesn't use salt and the company recycles everything), and a bar of bath soap last almost 2 months.

None of the above good stuff was by my planning. I just lucked into a good combination.

4T Rod, if'n you just bathe on Saturdays, you can stretch that bar of soap out to six months or so! :lol:

Archived