SASS Wire Forum

All I know about the West I learned from movies

Seldom Seen #16162

All I know about the West I learned from the movies.

General Custer was the last soldier killed at the Battle of Little Big Horn dieing while fighting the Indians with his two revolvers.

The Earps were noble, honest lawmen fighting for law and order at the Gunfight at the OK Corral.

Everyone in the West carried Colt Peacemakers and Winchester 92's.

Butch and Sundance dies in a heroic last stand in Bolivia.

EXCEPT;

Evidence presents a far different view of Custer's last stand.

The Earps were were involved in prostitution, gambling and suspected of criminal activity.

Shades of John Wayne but lots of other types of guns were used in the Real West.

Which is a long winded way of me getting to the point. What really happened to Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid?

Massad Ayoob wrote an interesting article on the subject in a recent magazine, I forget which, I will have to check. It seems pretty clear that there was no "heroic rush out the front door." Instead, it seems Butch may have shot Sundance then committed suicide. However, there is one theorist who asserts that it was not them that were shot and killed, but lived their lives out in South America. Another theory has them going back to California and living, and one having Butch going to Oregon and being a successful businessman.

I don't think anyone knows. They told a few people they were going to South America, and then pissadeared.

One story is that they went to Argentina around 1901 and bought land and lived there 'till 1905 when they were recognized by an American lawman, then they resumed their life of crime in Argentina and Bolivia, eventually dieing in a shootout in Bolivia in 1908.

Archived