SASS Wire Forum

Loading 10 in a Spencer

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

For you Spencer shooters out there, I have an odd question, one based on pure speculation.

Let's assume you had one of these guns chambered in .44 Russian or .45 Schofied.

Would loading the cartridges with wadcutters give you a short of enough OAL to load 10 rounds?

Inquring minds are wondering.

I have no idea, but I know by rule you can't recess the projectile below the case mouth. Is there enough length in the lead to make room for 5 more? I wouldn't think so.

One guy I shoot with shoots a Spencer now and then, me made a period correct speed loader to load the second five, really cool to watch him shoot.

Anyway, back to the top in hopes of getting someone who shoots one to answer.

Grizz

I've got one in 45 schofield but have not played with it enough yet to know for sure about using wad cutters. I don't believe there is any way to get 10 in the rifle although I understand it's possible to get at least 8 with the shorter rounds. I also believe the rifle is case length sensitive and if you make them too short and it won't feed properly. There is a Spencer forum over at Cas City, I suggest you asked this question there for a proper answer.

Scout

I don't understand the question. The only reason I can see to load 10 would be to shoot a stage without reloading. No one shoots a Spencer for speed, and reloading is half the fun.

Feeding on a Spencer is not as good as on a 73. They are sensitive to both OAL and bullet shape. As such, I would seriously doubt that this would work. My original (with an S&S block) takes firm handling to work and its not fool proof. I have never shot it in a match, still gathering brass for it, but I would never think of it in terms of speed. Just high cool!

I have no idea, but I know by rule you can't recess the projectile below the case mouth. Is there enough length in the lead to make room for 5 more? I wouldn't think so.

One guy I shoot with shoots a Spencer now and then, me made a period correct speed loader to load the second five, really cool to watch him shoot.

Anyway, back to the top in hopes of getting someone who shoots one to answer.

Grizz

Our Spencer shooters use Blakeslee boxes with the reloading tubes. Period correct.

-Chris

Our Spencer shooters use Blakeslee boxes with the reloading tubes. Period correct.

-Chris

That may be what this guys uses as well, it just caught me off guard watching him reload using that gadget and found out later that it was indeed period correct. Necessity really is the mother of invention I guess.

I think a Spencer carbine is just as cool as all get out. I have pondered the same question; but did some research and as others have mentioned, the Spencer action is very OAL specific. Having read posts in the CAS City Spencer forum I see others that have some of the reproduction Spencers have much trouble with the loading process.

It would be great if some smart gunsmith could alter the action to acommodate the 45 Cowboy Special and maybe lengthen the stock a couple inches and then there would be a Spencer that could hold ten rounds. Nope it would never be a CAS speed demon at a rating of about 8 rounds in 18 seconds; but it would look cool and be a ton of fun doing it.

Archived