SASS Wire Forum

Oh what I night I had

Red Logan #12252

This is from a from a friend of a relative of good friend of ours, honest. Names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Oh what I night I had…..this is a true story:

At 12:30 am or water pipes busted under the house. Bummer in itself but then the reality of the situation was Billybob was not here. After my very private temper tantrum I got my coveralls on with layers of clothes. Found a working flashlight but it was all metal…ugh!...went outside and opened the crawl space door and looked in on a hot shower…my glasses fogged up immediately…I crawled in got soaked and found the line had broken on the wrong side of the valve…ugh again….went in put my coveralls in the dryer, put on dry clothes, totally redressed with multiple layers of clothes and covered up with nice dry coveralls…the drifts in my yard were 3-6 ft tall so I tried to find the shallower valleys but still I was up to my hips in snow…I knew approximately where the water meter was so I took a shovel with me. I dug around for what seemed forever, and finally found it. Took me forever again to pry the lid open…so I stick my hand that is doubled glove down the hole and I did not have the strength to turn the knob…ugh!!!!....so I sat in the snow called my husband on my cell phone to get further instructions….was I doing something wrong that it would not budge…we decided it was just frozen and I would need pliers…..well now he tells me…So I trudge back to the house, I went in side to warm up my hands in warm water and yes the inevitable happened….I had to pee…Ugh!!!! I got several tools packed them up and headed out again.... I got to the water meter and started working and my glasses kept fogging up so I pushed my glasses up closer to my face and my lens fell out…..ugh gave way to oh shit !!! So half blind in the glistening snow with a flashlight I am looking for a piece of glass…but I got lucky and found it but my gloves were so stiff that I could not hold on to it and my clothes were frozen and I could hardly move, so I put the durn thing in my mouth…So finally got the water off, got back in the house at 2AM….My clothes were so stiff they stood up on their own. I had no idea how cold it truly was out there…It was a beautiful quiet night and the stars were beautiful…..Woke up this morning to no electricity, It came on about an hour ago…I am warm, I am sore, my husband left Oklahoma City at 1am and did not have the courage to wake me up when he came in and has waited on me hand and foot …. That is my story and I am sticking to it!!!!

Sorry, I don't buy it.

If the leaking spraying water under the house was hot, it was not coming directly from the main line into the house that the shutoff at the water meter would control.

Grizz

Griz, stop n think---------------just where do you think water come from... to stop the leak some housed you may have to go out side and turn the main off, no??

I did till I replumed and put a shut off inside, later found the original shut off...

This is from a from a friend of a relative of good friend of ours, honest. Names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Oh what I night I had…..this is a true story:

At 12:30 am or water pipes busted under the house. Bummer in itself but then the reality of the situation was Billybob was not here. After my very private temper tantrum I got my coveralls on with layers of clothes. Found a working flashlight but it was all metal…ugh!...went outside and opened the crawl space door and looked in on a hot shower…my glasses fogged up immediately…I crawled in got soaked and found the line had broken on the wrong side of the valve…ugh again….went in put my coveralls in the dryer, put on dry clothes, totally redressed with multiple layers of clothes and covered up with nice dry coveralls…the drifts in my yard were 3-6 ft tall so I tried to find the shallower valleys but still I was up to my hips in snow…I knew approximately where the water meter was so I took a shovel with me. I dug around for what seemed forever, and finally found it. Took me forever again to pry the lid open…so I stick my hand that is doubled glove down the hole and I did not have the strength to turn the knob…ugh!!!!....so I sat in the snow called my husband on my cell phone to get further instructions….was I doing something wrong that it would not budge…we decided it was just frozen and I would need pliers…..well now he tells me…So I trudge back to the house, I went in side to warm up my hands in warm water and yes the inevitable happened….I had to pee…Ugh!!!! I got several tools packed them up and headed out again.... I got to the water meter and started working and my glasses kept fogging up so I pushed my glasses up closer to my face and my lens fell out…..ugh gave way to oh shit !!! So half blind in the glistening snow with a flashlight I am looking for a piece of glass…but I got lucky and found it but my gloves were so stiff that I could not hold on to it and my clothes were frozen and I could hardly move, so I put the durn thing in my mouth…So finally got the water off, got back in the house at 2AM….My clothes were so stiff they stood up on their own. I had no idea how cold it truly was out there…It was a beautiful quiet night and the stars were beautiful…..Woke up this morning to no electricity, It came on about an hour ago…I am warm, I am sore, my husband left Oklahoma City at 1am and did not have the courage to wake me up when he came in and has waited on me hand and foot …. That is my story and I am sticking to it!!!!

Griz is right wtr. htr. should have a shut off on the cold inlet side that would have shut off the hot wtr.

I've seen some that don't.

Royal flush

Plbg. contractor

PS funny story anyway,been there have had to do that.

Royal Flush, yuppers, mine has shutoffs both coming in and going out.

Willie, I was thinking the same thing, just shut off the water going in, all the water goes out, you're heating an empty tank, ....

Archived