SASS Wire Forum

Book recommendations?

Buckshot Frank

I spend about 2 1/2 hours a day in the car with my commute to work. I pass the time by listening to audio books. I normally listen to spy (anti-terrorism) type books from autors like W.E.B. Griffen, Daniel Silva, Stephen Hunter, etc. Now that I have listened to most of the popular series, it is getting hard to find things to listen to.

Are there any good Western series that anyone can recommend? I tried listening to Appolusa, but unfortunately the recording skipped from Part 1 to Part 5 which made for a short and pitiful story. I wasn't really into it anyways- obviously if I didn't realize that the recording messed up until the end. I also listened to Steve Hockingsmith's "Holmes on the Range" series which I really enjoyed. Any other suggestions?

My favorite is Louis L'Amour. Not sure there's really a "series" per se, but the ones about the Sackett family are especially good. There are books covering several generations all the way back to the Europeans before they came to America.

JHC

Like you I listen(read) to a lot of audiobooks in the car. I go back and forth with the westerns. Lately I have been listening to the Ronicky Doone books (there are 3 of them) from Max Brand. They are pretty good. Also a few of The Last Gunfighter series from William W. Johnstone.

I am interested to see what others are reading as well.

I too use Audiobooks to keep my eyes open during my long daily commute. It is kind of a western and is long enough to keep you listening for a few weeks, try the Gunslinger series from Stephen King! The narrator in the first books is very good, unfortunately the gentleman passed away before getting to read the last few books, but the replacement does a good job. There are 7 books in total, good series. If you like Stephen King, try "Bag of Bones", it is actually narrated by King himself, kinda eerie since the main character is a novelist.

Also try "To kill a Mockingbird". It is an excellent book you probably haven't read since High School, made even better by Sissy Spacek reading it.

I just finished the Teaching Companys Civil War audio CD's. It was a 48 hour series on 24 CD's. Bought it through Amazon for $60 + shipping. Listened to it (was great) and then sold it to a CAS pard for $50. Look up the Teaching Companys offerings and search for whatever you like on Amazon. Make sure you get audio CD's. I accidently got "Robert E. Lee and His High Command" on DVD's. Watched it on my computer at home. Another interesting experience.

I picked up all 6 CD's that Chronicles of the old west has out! Makes for great stuff to listen to on the road... Better yet all the folks I car pool with can't wait for my turn to drive as they love em too!

Archived