SASS Wire Forum

Looking for a Cavalry Unifrom like John Wayne wore

Korupt Karl

I can't wear wool. Looking for cotton....You know...the sky blue pants with yellow strip....the dark blue shirt, yellow scarf and all. Anybody know of a site. Been lookin this morning, but everything is wool.

Thanks

KK

One of the places I've been lookin' at stuff like that is Blockade Runner (www.blockaderunner.com). I'm not sure if any of their stuff is cotton (or at least "non-wool,") but you can check it out.

If the issue with wool is the uncomfortable against the skin, then consider having the garment lined or wearing time-period undergarments. Just an idea.

Good Luck.

Chick

Wool doesn't bother me, but time in the saddle, wearing wool, can cause chafing. Cabelas sells very light weight silk long underwear trousers. They comfortable even in summer. If you can't find anything in cotton you might want to give this a try under wool. In regard to yellow stripes, NCOs wore the wide ones that most people think should be on cavalry trousers, officers wore a very narrow one and private's trousers would not have a stripe.

Duke frequently wore Bib Shirts though not an issued item.

Get some shoulder boards from Quartermaster Shop.

KK

Living in NC, I don't wear wool either to a shoot. What I did to get "the look" was the following. I bought a Dickies dark blue work shirt made of cotton and a pair of Dockers flat front pants in 'scotch blue. The colors give a historically accurate 'look' of a cavalry trooper. I took off the belt loops from the pants and sewed on buttons for my suspenders. I would recommend getting your chevrons or shoulder boards from the Quartermaster Shop. Their quality is very good. The yellow stripe for the pants I got at a fabric shop and had my local tailor shop sew them on. Remember, sargents had a 1" stripe, officers a 1 1/2" stripe. A nice campaign hat can be had at Brigade Suttler, also the hat badge and cord. My outfit as a cavalry captain looks very appropriate. By the way, you can pin metal officer rank insignia to the shirt collar. It was not regulation, but several books I have indicate this was done by officers in the hot months of the year while on campaign. Good Luck with your uniform!

Capt. Mac Thomas

U.S. Cavalry

SASS 35011

GAF 220

Check out Tonto Rim or Wild West Mercantile and look for the Frontier Classics "Saddle Pants" in blue. These

are great for a cavalry outfit. I have 3 pairs and they are comfortable after a few washings.

Regards,

CBG

http://www.ushist.co...nactors_f.shtml

Top right click "Cavalry"

About in the middle of the page wardrobe, props, weapons... click "wardrobe".

Ledt side about half way down click on "US Indian Wars"

3rd row down left side "Trousers" click on th picture.

Description says Khaki material....

http://www.ushist.co...nactors_f.shtml

Top right click "Cavalry"

About in the middle of the page wardrobe, props, weapons... click "wardrobe".

Ledt side about half way down click on "US Indian Wars"

3rd row down left side "Trousers" click on th picture.

Description says Khaki material....

Just beware US History takes loooonnnnnnnnnnnng time to deliver.

Archived