SASS Wire Forum

Black powder rounds...Fair price ?

Dee Mak Jack, SASS #55905

Your best bet would be to sell as components. Make it clear to the buyer that you expect them to disassemble the rounds into their individual parts, case, bullet and powder. This should relieve you of liabilty. As far as a price goes, if I were in your shoes I would be happy to get the money back on my bullets and powder, throwing in the cases and primers as a bonus.

Figure $15 for the powder, $15 for the brass, $40 for the boolits, $15 for the primers.

$85 seems to be fair

--Dawg

I have many THOUSANDS of reloaded rounds, most of which was inherited. In fact, it took a half ton pickup to load it all. All types of calibers... from 375 H&H on down. Over the years I have pulled bullets, dumped powder and sold the brass. When I've sold guns I've refused to include the thousands of rounds of ammo that I had for them. Sometimes the ammo dissappeared without my knowledge, but I have never sold any or given any away!

I wouldn't sell a SINGLE round! The liability is just astronomical if something were to go badly wrong. I know that some of these "Wire Lawyers" will POO-POO what I'm saying here, but I can tell you First Hand... that you DON'T want to be involved in any kind of Firearms accident when something goes wrong and the persons INSURANCE company gets involved trying to recover medical expenses!

That's why I no longer do ANY Gunsmith work for ANYONE!

Snakebite

If I were shooting black powder in .38s I would definitely pay upwards of a hundred for them IF and feel I out done you good on the deal. Be prepared to share your loading technique the load data, via PM, with potential buyers with the only real taboos I can think of being that you did not leave air space or use duplex loads. I would never dream of using smokeless ammo loaded by a stranger but would be much less concerned with bp loads. The only time I have seen them for sale was extremely higher than any $10 per box of 50rnds and they did not have the expensive bullets. The rest is uncertainty over the safety of the load but bp has more of a margin in my mind.

I wouldn't sell them either and if I bought 'em I would pull all the bullets and save the brass, bullets and powder. Maybe you can sell the components only. Rye

Guest sawyer#34250

When a potential buyer and a potential seller reach an agreement on the amount of funds to be exchanged for a product, you have a fair price.

Anytime you sell anything to anyone the potential for liability attaches to the transaction.

Me personally.. I would be more concerned with the liability and legality of selling rounds that YOU loaded....

+ 1 It's just to shaky to get involved with something like this. The guy could have a problem totally unrelated to the ammo until his/her lawyer made it so and you would be left holding the bag. Just my 2 cents. Smithy.

Shoot 'em and enjoy it. Then, reload the brass with the heathen fad smokeyless propellant of your choice. If they were loaded right you would have to pick out the powder cuz it won't dump out of a correctly compressed black powder round.

Just shoot 'em up till they're all gone. Who knows, you may come back to the Darkside. Many have strayed and been welcomed back when they discovered the error of their ways.

DD-DLoS

Dee, take them to the range and shoot them up. You need an FFL plus IIRC a permit/certificate as well that runs 2K plus per year to manufacture and sell ammunition. A million dollar liability insurance policy is a real good idea too. I have lots of rounds loaded for specific guns I have owned and sold, they NEVER go with the gun.

Archived