SASS Wire Forum

Can you mix Cartriges?

Marshal Max Henry

I am getting a Ruger Single six .32 mag.black birdshead grip.Im so jazzed about it anyway. I could get a deal, a great deal on .32 H&R Mag. for 500 but they are BP. I think its cool myself and have no problem with the BP but I shoot GF and I need to know if I can Shoot one pistol BP and ONe Smokless without breaking the rules or having an RO kick me out.

Much obliged Max Henry

I thought you had a pair of rugers 357s. for main match guns.

I do I want to shoot my new gun. :)

Yes. You may shoot any SASS legal cartridge and propellant as a Gunfighter. Including Holy Black in one and heathen smokeless in the other.

Thank you Gentleman

Just keep in mind that if you use BP in a non-BP category you musy meet the "power Factor" not just the smoke factor.

In a BP only category you only need to meet the smoke factor, NOT the "power factor".

Ol' #4

Yes. You may shoot any SASS legal cartridge and propellant as a Gunfighter. Including Holy Black in one and heathen smokeless in the other.

Thanks for th response. When it comes down to it Brother I hope you have more than.....1* there are more of us out there ;)

Just keep in mind that if you use BP in a non-BP category you musy meet the "power Factor" not just the smoke factor.

In a BP only category you only need to meet the smoke factor, NOT the "power factor".

Ol' #4

It's the catagory, not the type of firearm/load that determines the standard?

It's the catagory, not the type of firearm/load that determines the standard?

Yes:

34. The minimum standard for center-fire ammunition used in all smokeless categories at State, Regional, National, International and World Championship Competitions is not less than a minimum power factor of 60 and no velocity may be less than 400 fps.

The maximum velocity standard for revolvers is 1000 fps. The maximum velocity standard for rifles is 1400 fps.

Buckaroo Category shooters choosing to use center-fire ammunition in handguns and/or rifles must also meet all power factor and velocity requirements.

Pocket pistols and derringers are exempt from the power factor and velocity requirements.

(SHB p.25/ROI p.21)

I am not a BP shooter, but one time, just for kicks, since I had some of the stuff, I loaded up 3 round of .44-40 with the old stuff. I saw too it that one round each went into my Henry, my Buntline, and my Sherrif's model Colt. Shot the rest of the match with smokeless. People laughed a lot do to the unexpectedness of it.

Have not done it again since, but may do so again someday.

And, since I was not shooting in a BP specific category, no problem.

Now, mixing the occasional smokeless load into a BP category would be frowed upon...

I still dont get all the categories. Cowboys did not wory about playing field being level this seems lame to me. I say shoot what you have. Still have 2 pistols, riffle, and a Shotgun but let the person shooot what ever targets in there choice of order and what gun they use. Like the cowboys did. engage with what ever they had thier hands on at that sec but no one cares about my thoughts.

....I need to know if I can Shoot one pistol BP and ONe Smokless without breaking the rules or having an RO kick me out.

Much obliged Max Henry

When you get to the match, there is no need to mention your loads. Just go to the loading table at the appropriate time and load up. Then don't say a word to the TO or spotters about your loads. Shoot your smokeless pistol first, and then let the fun begin! :lol:

And you can always add some red carpenter's chalk to your shotgun loads, just for kicks. A teaspoon in the shotcup before you drop shot will fill the spaces between the shot.

Just sayin'.....

Buena suerte,

eGG

I still dont get all the categories. Cowboys did not wory about playing field being level this seems lame to me. I say shoot what you have. Still have 2 pistols, riffle, and a Shotgun but let the person shooot what ever targets in there choice of order and what gun they use. Like the cowboys did. engage with what ever they had thier hands on at that sec but no one cares about my thoughts.

Try thnking of it this way:

Cowboys did not get to choose the order in which their targets/opponents became available to shoot at, so having a specified order is just a way of "surprising" you by telling you the order that your opponent will become available to shoot. As you play the game longer, you will see stages designed as "shooters choice." There are many variations, but one I've seen a good deal is 14 targets with the only requirement that you shoot each one at least once. It's interesting to see how different people approach it.

Example: Most people (not all) will shoot the five targets farthest away with their rifle. Some will shoot: 1,2,3,4,5,5,5,5,5,5 while others will shoot 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5. There's a ton of variations.

FWIW, I'd suggest learning the game more before you start trying to change it. Here's a goal to start with: Take Sante Fe River Stan's stage times, double them, then try to beat that time. That'll keep you busy for a bit! :D

Remember, gunfighters might not rule, but they sure rock! :D

Archived