SASS Wire Forum

Jaxonbilt Hats

Jgbeerman

I dont think I could buy a hat the suppenders are from 90.00 to 120.00

I dont think I could buy a hat the suppenders are from 90.00 to 120.00

the suspenders are crazy, but the hats seemed very good and reasonably priced depending on the X you go with.

I have two of their hats and Wildcat has three -- top notch work. They are all 10X (50% beaver). No reservations recommending them.

Excellent! Thanks for the recommendation Okie Sawbones!

Here is an article I wrote when I was writing for Shoot! Magazine:

While there are a number of great hat companies in business today there are but a few who consistently provide exceptional quality and service to the cowgirls and cowboys of today. Roy Jackson of Jaxonbilt Hat Co is someone who has built his business on customer service and satisfaction. In fact making a custom hat that truly fits a customer as it should has driven Roy to invent a unique device to ensure a custom fit (more on this later). Roy Jackson decided he wanted to be an auctioneer and went to auctioneers school, left Salmon Idaho and began his career in Las Cruces, New Mexico in 1996. He subsequently realized that he missed working with his hands and he decided to look for another vocation that would allow him to stay in the west and give him the opportunity to build something. Roy decided that he wanted to become a hat maker and began an apprenticeship with Daryl Sullivan of Sullivan Hatters in Las Cruces. Roy learned quickly and began to use and understand the value of good equipment to the process.

Having served his role as an apprentice well, Roy decided to return to Salmon as a hat maker and simultaneously began to accumulate the necessary tools to open a shop. Roy acquired a steamer, then blocks (or molds), a flange press, crown iron, sand bagger a conformateur and a formillion. These last two items were used to create a negative “tracing” of the head and the subsequent conversion to positive for use in constructing the hat. While this process was very effective it was rather lengthy to complete and it forced all of Roy’s clients to physically come into the shop for a proper measurement. This was rather impractical as most of Roy’s hats were made for people who lived outside of Idaho, there are only a little more than a million people who live in Idaho, and it is not the easiest place to reach. In order to provide a customized fit for all of his customers, Roy developed a conformer kit that he will mail to a customer who can then in the privacy of his or her home take all the necessary measurements required for a perfectly fit hat. After our first phone conversation, Roy mailed the conformer kit to me and I was immediately impressed – anyone who went to the trouble of designing and having a tool like this made has to care about making his customers happy.

The conformer kit includes a standard cloth tape measure and a Lexan (the material that is used to make bullet proof glass) conformer which looks similar to the brim of a hat with a series of tabs that are adjustable via a slot and secured with a wing nut. Having someone help you is a must but all you need to do is put the device on your head where you would normally wear your hat and then ask your assistant to carefully push in the tabs until they touch your head, then, ensuring they are snug and straight, tighten the wing nuts. To ensure the tabs do not move in shipping you should place the conformer on tracing paper and mark it where the tabs came in contact with your head. Once finished just place everything in the box and return it to Roy who then uses these measurements to ensure a perfect fit. I asked my son Michael to assist me and we had the conformer kit on its way back to Roy the same day.

The hat that I ordered from Roy is similar to the hat worn by Robert Duvall as Print Ritter in the made for TV movie, Broken Trail. When I received the hat I was immediately impressed! I chose a 50X hat and the feel is remarkable; I really wonder how much better a 100X could be, guess I will have to order one. The style was exactly as I had pictured it and the color was beautiful; it resembled the color of the sample I received beautifully. Another thing that sets Jaxonbilt Hats apart is that the mold of your head created from the conformer kit is cut out and shipped in the hat to help maintain its shape and size while it awaits the next opportunity to sit on your head. The fit on a custom made hat is just wonderful and I believe that at some point in a cowboy or cowgirl’s life he or she should own a custom hat. I know mine will be sitting on top of my head for the opening PBR event this January and I can’t wait to see what Ty Murray or Justin McBride think of it!

Roy Jackson is a master hat maker and he is also a custom hatter so what is in your mind can be on your head and available in a huge variety of shapes, colors and qualities. Roy currently makes and finishes each hat himself to ensure that he maintains the standard of quality that his customers have come to expect. He makes hats for working cowboys as well as those of us weekend cowboys who compete in SASS, CMSA, MSA, NCOWs or for anyone who has the yearning for that true American icon, the cowboy hat. Roy has made hats for movies and entertainers and some of his customers include; Buck Taylor, Joni Harms, Clint Walker, Ranger Doug and Peter Brown name a few. Roy also is a Member of the Academy of Western Artists. When you finally realize that the hat you wear is your signature and you no longer wish to look like so many others with an off the shelf hat – give Roy a call and discuss your dreams. I know he can deliver. Contact Roy at:

Roy S Jackson

Jaxonbilt Hat Company

P.O. Box 417

Salmon, ID 83467

(208) 756-6444

http://www.jaxonbilthats.com/

They are very high quality hats that will; last you many years.

They are located in God's country.

That is some of the best scenery and fun(nest) roads I've ever motorcycled!!!

The hats have to be good coming from Idaho's Salmon River Country!

Jersey Kid-

Great article! That has pretty much sold me on getting a hat from him. I have had some really poor customer service lately with my cable company and dental insurance so it is nice to hear that someone still values customers that pay for a service.

Plus I use to live in Glen Rock and it appears you live in Ridgewood.

Thanks for the info.

That guy Roy Jackson is the best. He generally needs 3 months, but he makes delivery on time. I tried to get a custom yellow hat made and only he could do it. He sent me a contrapion to put on my head and push the pins in and I sent it back to him. Turns out that he cuts out thick piece of hard foam to use for the pattern. The hat fits perfect first time out and feels like you have had it five years. He also gives you that foam and you stick it the hat when parked in the box and the shape of your noggin is retained. As for the hat, best quality. I have had a number of folks who asked who made that hat inquiries. Got his name right in it opposite my alias which he put in there too, just in case I lost the hat and someone wondered who's big yeller hat it was. I recommend him highly.

Roy has made 6 hats for my wife and I.

All great quality.

One of his "movie" hats is named after her.

It's the Dakota Skipper.

My next hat will come from him too.

--Dawg

Jersey Kid-

Great article! That has pretty much sold me on getting a hat from him. I have had some really poor customer service lately with my cable company and dental insurance so it is nice to hear that someone still values customers that pay for a service.

Plus I use to live in Glen Rock and it appears you live in Ridgewood.

Thanks for the info.

If you had said you had good service from your cable company I'd have fallen right out of my chair!

I also have a Jaxonbilt hat that fits wonderfully. It did take a few months to get it! I agree with all the remarks from others and I heartily recommend Jaxonbilt if you don't mind paying for top quality, and can put up with the wait.

I've been looking at a set of leather suspenders, but need them about 10 inches longer than normal ones, so that price doesn't seem bad for that price especially when custom built and lined

Archived