SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger SxS is smoother now

Bull Creek Cole

I got my Stoeger SxS back from the smith yesterday and took it apart last night to work some homespun magic. The smith did a trigger job for me (it really needed it) and I followed the directions I received here and at Marauder's site to buff most of the moving/sliding parts and the mating faces. I also ground down the pin that sets the safety automatically (I can still put the safety on manually) and removed one coil from the lever spring. At the end of it all there is a huge improvement in how the triggers and lever/break-open operates.

Thanks for all the great advice and help.

It sounds like you made some sweet modifications to the SxS. I just put money down on my first 12 Ga Stoeger (single trigger, not jumping for joy about that but he gave me a deal on the single trigger model) and I was happy at how the gun broke over compared to my Stoeger 20 Ga.

I'm sure that I'll be joining you in getting some work done on both of them pretty soon.

Right now my biggest issue is the safety. It sure takes some doing to get used to sliding it every time so I'll be looking forward to that mod.

It sounds like you made some sweet modifications to the SxS. I just put money down on my first 12 Ga Stoeger (single trigger, not jumping for joy about that but he gave me a deal on the single trigger model) and I was happy at how the gun broke over compared to my Stoeger 20 Ga.

I'm sure that I'll be joining you in getting some work done on both of them pretty soon.

Right now my biggest issue is the safety. It sure takes some doing to get used to sliding it every time so I'll be looking forward to that mod.

Go here for some easy to accomplish mods on Stoegers.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Stoeger.html

http://Marauder.homestead.com/files/stoeger3.html

RBK

Thanks for the links RBK!

Thats some good information. (and handy for me with the pictures and all)

Slicking a Stoeger defenitely makes a huge difference. I made pretty much the same improvements as you did (polished parts, disabled auto safety, removed one coil). I was going to put the lighter spring on, but I didn't want to risk having lock problems due to the spring being too light. I also filed the nub off of the safety lever since I won't ever be using it anyways and my thumb was rubbing against it everytime that I opened the latch. A couple of minutes with a file and cold blue, and I now have a low profile safety lever. It is still fully functional, but it is now unobtrusive.

Did you polish the chambers? My Stoeger didn't need it, but I did it anyways. It would already shuck everything that I put in it from the Win Featherlites to cheap Federal bulk from Walmart. I wonder if Stoeger made a change, or if I just got lucky.

Sounds like you should get a lottery ticket.

Over the last 5 years of so I have used 5 different Stoeger SxS's

None of them would shuck anything with a silver colored base or a ribbed hull with any degree of reliability

until I had smoothed and polished the chambers.

If you looked in the chambers when brand new you could usually see machining marks in there.

Had one where the internal weld was so poorly finished that you could see the joint between the receiver and barrel.

Looked like a crimp of some kind rather than a smooth transition between the two parts.

YMMV

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Once smoothed and slicked up they all ran fine.

Did you polish the chambers? My Stoeger didn't need it, but I did it anyways. It would already shuck everything that I put in it from the Win Featherlites to cheap Federal bulk from Walmart. I wonder if Stoeger made a change, or if I just got lucky.

I can't say about current production but as of last year the Winchester value pack SG shells had issues. They would expand a ring around the shell upon discharge and this ring would not let the shells drop out of a double. My rem 870 would take them easy and I would assume an 87 would have no problem but for a SxS it was a problem if you wanted the hulls to fall out on their own. Just a little FYI for those who still shoot the value packs.

jb

Archived