SASS Wire Forum

Ruger, vs Kel-Tec, vs Taurus

Buckshot Mitchell, SASS 24941

I have the ruger LCP, so do my dad and brother. I carry it every day in a pocket holster in my front pocket with no print. We have shot a couple hundred rounds with zero problems.Can't wait to add a Crimson Trace laser.

If price is not a major consideration for you, before you consider any pocket rocket I suggest that you take a look @ the all new Kimber Solo 9mm. http://www.kimberamerica.com/solo It comes in two models. I have a Kimber Solo Carry on order @ $687.39 (tax included). I was able to hold & dry fire but not shoot one the other day @ my favorite toy store. I like the trigger pull which is very light & short for a DA pistol. Kimber sells dealer direct & they sent each one of their dealers one for display and the release date is next month, I believe the 19th. They let each dealer order only 20 & I'm #34 on his list. When I get it I'll retire my Colt Gov. Model 380 to an occasional summer carry piece.

Why the need for the safety, its a striker fired gun. Why the ambi mag release, Just make it reverseable. Just more crap to stick out on a pocket gun. Sig 290 looks like a better setup.

Why the need for the safety, its a striker fired gun. Why the ambi mag release, Just make it reverseable. Just more crap to stick out on a pocket gun. Sig 290 looks like a better setup.

Were we twins separated at birth? :lol: I've seen you comment this way in a couple of other threads, and I have to agree. My academy training (1990) was at the peak of the debate between the .357 wheel gun, and the 1911, and it was drummed into our heads that a grip and/or manual safety on a duty gun is not advantageous. This is a built in filter in my mind now..........some would call it a birth defect! B)

BSD

Were we twins separated at birth? :lol: I've seen you comment this way in a couple of other threads, and I have to agree. My academy training (1990) was at the peak of the debate between the .357 wheel gun, and the 1911, and it was drummed into our heads that a grip and/or manual safety on a duty gun is not advantageous. This is a built in filter in my mind now..........some would call it a birth defect! B)

BSD

That is why I prefer a Glock style semi. Basically two controls. First is the brain and the second is the trigger. A distant third is the magazine release button.

I prefer the Keltec guns. I have several and have sold several. The action design is not new and is well proven. The owner George Kellgren has been designing guns for a long time. The Keltec pistols were developed originally from Kellgrens Grendal series first seen 20 years ago. It's a proven design and works so well Ruger copied it.

The other thing I like about the Keltec's is there are accessories like night sights, belt clips,other grip frames,extended mags and trigger shoes available for them.

Besides there pistol I have one of their rifles as well.

My KELTEC SUB-2000/40 GLOCK

I have carried the larger Kel Tec P11 9mm for years and love it. I bought the Ruger LCP about a year ago to carry when I wear a light pair of workout shorts. It is very dependable and light. It has some recoil due to its small size, however.

I know this is not what you were asking about, but I recently saw one of these and they seem to be a great pistol. www.diamondbackfirearms.com. They make a .380 that is basically built just like a Glock.

Red Leg Russ

SASS #41,697

My academy training (1990) was at the peak of the debate between the .357 wheel gun, and the 1911, and it was drummed into our heads that a grip and/or manual safety on a duty gun is not advantageous. This is a built in filter in my mind now..........some would call it a birth defect! B)

BSD

I have to disagree with your instructor. A fellow officer was carrying a 1911 and in a struggle with a perp the perp got his piece away from him & tried to shoot him. The scum bag wasn't familiar with a 1911 & didn't take the safety off, allowing my coworker time to pull his backup from his hip pocket & shoot the perp. Had he been carrying a Glock he would most likely have been seriously wounded at the very least. That manual thumb safety was extremely advantageous in that situation.

To this day I still carry a 1911 every day. Some days it's a Colt Govt Mod 380, But most days it's Kimber Ultra CDP 45 or a Springfield EMP 9mm. Both stoked with Winchester Black Talons.

I have to disagree with your instructor. A fellow officer was carrying a 1911 and in a struggle with a perp the perp got his piece away from him & tried to shoot him. The scum bag wasn't familiar with a 1911 & didn't take the safety off, allowing my coworker time to pull his backup from his hip pocket & shoot the perp. Had he been carrying a Glock he would most likely have been seriously wounded at the very least. That manual thumb safety was extremely advantageous in that situation.

To this day I still carry a 1911 every day. Some days it's a Colt Govt Mod 380, But most days it's Kimber Ultra CDP 45 or a Springfield EMP 9mm. Both stoked with Winchester Black Talons.

Nathan,

Thank God the Officer came out on top. There are lot's of war stories on both sides of the fence, so I'll just say for me, it wouldn't be my first choice. Here's a funny true story....in 1991 my Chief "authorized" the .45 as a duty weapon, so the very next day I showed up with a new S&W model 25 in .45 Colt. He looked at my sidearm and said "you get a new .357?", I explained it was a .45 Colt and he said "that's not an allowed weapon". I showed him the letter and pointed out that it neither said "acp" or "Colt". He grinned and said "you got me, enjoy your new gun" :lol:

BSD

I have several Kel-Tecs and a couple of Ruger LCP, But it cost more but I really like the Sig 238. I guess because I am used to the Colt 1911 style. Colt Mustang is also a good choice. My Sig is a light weight model with night sights and I like the Colt style safty. For years I carried a S&W M- 60 or S&W 37 in 38 special. Never had a need to use it. These guns are at the very bottom of what I would concider a seriouse gun at only close range and as a last ditch back up.

For serious carry I have always carried a Colt Commander in 45 acp and when going into a place where I expected trouble I would carry a secound 45 Colt auto with extra magazines in my pocket. I never once have had a Colt Commander fail to do its part when I did mine and in time after Kimber came out I bought a Custom shop Ultra Carry 2 45 and wore it out after several years of shooting and then replaced it with a same model with Crimson Trace lazer sights. Number one problem is to keep any carry gun clean and oiled and tem times more so if it has an alumium frame because the metal will erode and freeze up the moving parts.

I feel that one of the most important things today is the use of a good night sight because there is ofter to be trouble at night. Perhaps the greatest thing You have going for You with a small weapon is its small size permits you to have it ready without the subject knowing you are armed and I would make it a point to try to have it already in my hand and out of sight with safty off and round in chamber should things turn bad. Remember should you be up close to the subject if it goes down, Quickly place a couple of shots in the center area then step back to prevent the subject from grabbing your arm or gun. I do know of several times where the subject took the gun away from the shooter and used it on him. If the subject has a knife make damn sure you are out of his reach as You take him down with well placed shots.

One thing to expect and remember is many times with a small caliber gun is that the subject may show no signs of being hit or may not know he is hit and and You should be ready to keep a distance away from him and this is not limited to just a small caliber either. I am sure there are Pards here who have seen men who are hit with fatal shots and dont know they are already dead carry on what is know as the "DEAD MANS TEN SECOUINDS".

I know when a man or woman decides to make the decision to carry its a very personal decision and very serious as well. With the times we all live in today this subject has become a serious matter and with more states having CCP more people will have the chance to carry heat should they decide. For Me, I take it very serious and I am willing to share things that I feel is important and what one can expect if the time comes. After All is SAID and DONE the gun You feel right with and that gets You though is all that counts and it does not make any difference what gun fired the bullet as long as you place your shot or shots where they need to be. May You never have to go this far,,,,But if You do try to turn ALL the tables to Your side.

Your Pard, Texas Man

Archived