SASS Wire Forum

Gene Autry's Holster

Barterin Bill

I'm sure it's been talked about. I just keep thinking about it and can't figure it out. Gene wears a double buscadero rig with only one holster on it. The left side has the drop down with a slot cut for a holster, but no holster there. It looks kind of dumb. The wardrobe folks must have noticed it.

Gene was my hero when I was five or so. He was never a gun slinger but more of a horse riding ballard singing cowboy. Aside from the mandatory chase scene and the bar room type fight, he was mostly outthinking the bad guys or singing to some lady or Champion. Besides, anybody that shoots .44s can't be bad at all. :rolleyes:

If any of us were wardrobe consultants back then I'm sure that wouldn't have happened.

What bugs me worse is all the 92's that were used in the stories that took place in the 1870's and 1880's! Example: The Searchers, 1865......1892 Winchesters and 73 Colt SAA's!:blink:

One of my favorite westerns is The Cheyenne Social Club with JImmy Stewart and Henry Fonda.It starts out in the 1st scene of the movie "Texas 1866 or 67" I forget which.But during the whole movie they're using 73 Colts,73 and 92 Winchesters.Must have had a time machine hidden there somewhere to advance the weaponry.

If any of us were wardrobe consultants back then I'm sure that wouldn't have happened.

What bugs me worse is all the 92's that were used in the stories that took place in the 1870's and 1880's! Example: The Searchers, 1865......1892 Winchesters and 73 Colt SAA's!:blink:

Contrary to what many think, there was an abundant of correct rifles used in "B" westerns. 66s, 73s. Hoppy movies showed lot of these including the Trapdoors, both rifle and carbines. Check out the Buck Jones movies also. Many of the Gene and Roy movies show 73s being used. Of course a lot of 92s were used. But also most Roy and Gene movies took place not in the 1800s, but the 1900s when cars, planes, telephones,radios and even TVs were used. During the WW2 eras, many "B" western were of the patriotic nature and were depicting the time period.

It is correct that more "A" westerns actually were more sinful of using incorrect firearms, then were "Bs". There is also a good explanation for this, with so many westerns being filmed, there just weren't that many 73s, etc to go around, 92s were still being made and a readily supply available.

What is also interesting is how many Trapdoors were used to depict Flintlocks, or Brown Bess for period movies. Also many Trapdoors were completely cut down to be used as flintlock pistols. MT

Here's my GA holster rig.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z72/marshaltroop/PICT0944.jpg

Archived