SASS Wire Forum

Shoot like SASS in Defence?

Marauder SASS #13056

Well, Cowboy Shooters do not train tactically or under any stress. With no thought to movement and cover you have a slim chance of survival. The bad guys usually get off the first shot statistically and if you stand there like your shooting steel I'm afraid your life expectancy will be short.

My dear friends, if you want a chance to survive a gunfight and you carry a concealed weapon, please please get some tactical training from a good professional source. SASS will not prepare you for an armed encounter anymore than pitching baseball will prepare you to toss hand grenades. Similar in appearance but seriously different in practice

I agree with what you are saying Bob except I don't think for a minute that a few sessions with the very best tactical instructor is going to increase a shooter's chances of survival in a gunfight. Only practice, practice, and more practice will do anyone any good. I watch the "Best Defense" shows and think those baldheaded guys are great, but nothing they say is worth a bucket of warm spit without practice, practice, practice. If you don't practice a physical skill regularly, you are screwed. Gunfighting, like any other martial art, is mostly a set of physical skills. You don't learn physical skills with a 30 minute practice session or even an 8 hour ccw class. If you do they will be forgotten the next week. In the average gunfight a cowboy shooter will stand and die, but if he has a gun available he will most likely get effective shots off and will most likely kill the bad guy. That isn't a matter of heroics. it is a matter of muscle memory.

The old "that automatic will get you killed" argument... I know that there are folks still carrying wheelguns on and off duty, but there are several Brazillian police officers and soldiers world wide that carry auto pistols. The last "jammed handgun" report I remember seeing (there are several) was a revolver...struck by a bullet that hit the cylinder.

Give it a rest.

Sorry, I recently attended three Wild Bunch Matches and witnessed a few Wild Bunch practice sessions and was rather surprised at the high failure rate of those 1911's of various manufactures and modifications to be able to fully shoot a couple of magazines (ten rounds). There were some good shooters in the groups too. Crap, it appeared the stage winner was whomever could keep their semi running for twenty rounds. Granted, it was a small sampling, but and eye opener.

I am not against semis for self defense. I carry one. Know your side arm and shoot it enough to know which magazine& ammo works reliable in it. Don't rely on the last several rounds to finally make the stop is what I am saying.

http://www.texasescapes.com/MikeCoxTexasTales/Marshal-Pitman.htm

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/268168_shootingfollow27.html

Interesting point, Tom.

Like Utah Bob said, some of the skills we practice in SASS are helpful, but without practicing movement, cover, various shooting positions, etc, it is inadequate preparation.

Movement drills are a nice concept and useful but in a real gunfight, the only movement I have ever seen work is getting the hell out of the way. Moving and shooting while engaged in a close quarter gunfight is akin to trying to negotiate with a person verbally and transitioning to shooting.

It causes hesitations and hesitations will get you killed.

Self-defense skills from CAS are extremely helpful in gunfighting. Even a moderately decent CAS shooter would critically massacre a number of assailants using CAS weaponry if said CAS shooter unloaded even one SA revolver. Well, maybe my remark should be toned down a hair if the revolver was loaded with some of the no-power factor gamer nerf near squib loads I have seen. If REAL ammo is used though the effects of a CAS shotoer would be devastating on an opponent.

Self-defense skills from CAS are extremely helpful in gunfighting. Even a moderately decent CAS shooter would critically massacre a number of assailants using CAS weaponry if said CAS shooter unloaded even one SA revolver. Well, maybe my remark should be toned down a hair if the revolver was loaded with some of the no-power factor gamer nerf near squib loads I have seen. If REAL ammo is used though the effects of a CAS shotoer would be devastating on an opponent.

I wouldn't take a single action revolver to a gun fight, unless that was the only reliable gun to be had,,, but I have other firearms better suited for the job. I wouldn't use my match ammo ment for SASS to a gun fight either. I wouldn't take reloads to a gun fight either.

A "good" SASS shooter can shoot any style of handgun, be it a single action, double action revolver or semi....with any PF load.

Ya don't need to be insulting.

BTW, six shots delivered in 3 seconds to a single perp from a single action revolver with PF of 70 will most likely still do the job. Ya gotta hope there isn't a second perp cause your gun would be shot dry.

"massacure a number..." Cann't be more than six cause thats all the gun would hold. Stats say to double tab on a perp to stop the threat. So I guess your number then drops to three.. Then if you miss a shot or two, then your nuber of massacures drops even lower.

I agree, your remark should be toned down.

Edit: over on the Ruger LCP vs Kel-Tec vs Taurus thread, you say a 380 caliber semi is the cats meow? Then mention about "Real ammo"..... above...hmmmm,,,,, never mind.

I agree with what you are saying Bob except I don't think for a minute that a few sessions with the very best tactical instructor is going to increase a shooter's chances of survival in a gunfight. Only practice, practice, and more practice will do anyone any good. I watch the "Best Defense" shows and think those baldheaded guys are great, but nothing they say is worth a bucket of warm spit without practice, practice, practice. If you don't practice a physical skill regularly, you are screwed. Gunfighting, like any other martial art, is mostly a set of physical skills. You don't learn physical skills with a 30 minute practice session or even an 8 hour ccw class. If you do they will be forgotten the next week. In the average gunfight a cowboy shooter will stand and die, but if he has a gun available he will most likely get effective shots off and will most likely kill the bad guy. That isn't a matter of heroics. it is a matter of muscle memory.

Gunfighting is not merely muscle memory and I never mentioned "a thirty minute practice session or even an 8 hour ccw class". Those are not sufficient tactical training.

Surviving a gunfight also involves having the mental skills to focus on multiple threats, recognizing tunnel vision danger, and most of all having the survival attitude that will not allow you to quit. Under great stress some folks freeze. Your muscle memory may work, or you may just shut down. That's why stress training is used.

The average cowboy shooter is familiar with shooting at steel targets that don't try to kill him. Unless he has had some real good effective STRESSFUL training and practice, he will probably not get off effective shots.

I know that I will not be able to convince some folks of that but maybe one guy here will realize that I'm not criticizing CAS shooting, just trying to keep him alive.

Archived