SASS Wire Forum

Beretta Renegade Is On Its Way!

Smithy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until recently, I was amongst those who did not know that Beretta has owned Uberti for a good many years. Interestingly enough, (to me, maybe not another soul on the Wire) Saturday I was having a conversation with Sugah about how much I liked the look of the checkering on a Beretta Renegade.

To my limited knowledge, it is the only 1873 straight stock that comes checkered from the factory when you take out the very high dollar limited edition guns that you wouldn't dare shoot in a match like the John Wayne 1873. I don't particularly care for the Beretta logo on the stock and I wish the receiver was CCH, but then I guess you can't have everything unless you want to customize a gun... which could be done... and is pretty typically done by a lot of folks...including me.

Oh yeah, I guess I should mention that I've got the fever for a new rifle and after spending some time thinking about it, I've figured out that I like a lot of things about a number of different rifles and that in order to get what I want, I might be combining some things that you would not see on any gun direct from the factory. I'm primarily speaking of the exterior, not interior.

Of course, what is done to the interior of my rifle doesn't come from the factory...but it's beginning to appear that Uberti (or importers) are attempting to make the guns more attractive to cowboys straight from the factory...an example being that Taylors has introduced a rifle that apparently is tuned by Cody Conagher...although they don't come right out and say that....and I guess that technically that is not "direct" from the factory.

Currently, I shoot an 18" Conagher rifle and it is great, but recently I handled a rifle that belongs to a buddy that had been worked on by a gunsmith most people have never heard of...and it was awesome...which is better than great. So, now I've got a hankerin' for an awesome rifle. The interesting thing is my friend is selling his awesome rifle because he handled a rifle tuned by another gunsmith and he thinks that rifle is awesomer...which is even better than awesome. My friend says that I won't care about an awesome rifle once I get to handle his awesomer rifle...which has not yet arrived.

I'm pretty sure that I can't shoot an awesome rifle (or even an awesomer rifle) faster than I can shoot the great rifle I have now, but who cares? My wanter is running full speed and we all know the wanter is the most powerful part of the human body. Sometimes after a while my wanter runs out of gas and I go back to being happy with what I have, so I might not end up with a new rifle, but it's always fun to think about all the possibilities.

Some people say that an 18" octagonal barrel rifle is as light and short a rifle as a person would want to shoot and, in fact, my friend who is getting the awesomer rifle thinks an 18" rifle is too short, but after having shot Sugah's 16" round barrel 1866 Trapper, I liked it...but I look funny shooting it because I'm over twice as long as the entire gun. I also got to shoot another friend's half octagonal rifle and I liked it as well. I think they come with an 18" barrel, but they don't come with checkered stocks unless you get a pistol grip...which I guess would be okay since I shoot a pistol grip now.

Then I get to thinking that I really like the look of an 1866, but since it's part of my job to keep Sugah's 1866 shiny, I've found that that's not always real easy, especially since I don't like cleaning guns anyway. And besides, if I wanted to stick with a pistol grip stock, I can't do that with an 1866...unless there's one out there that I don't know about...but then if I had one custom made, I'd have the only one and that'd be cool.

And all of that brings me back to wondering about the tapered barrel on the Renegade. I can't imagine it would save all that much weight, but it might look cool as all get out...but then I like an 18" barrel and I'd have to cut the 20" barrel to 18"...and then if I did that I might want to go ahead and cut it to 17"...or maybe even 16", but then I'd be back to having a rifle that was less than half as long as me...and I'd look funny shooting it...but then I get to thinking who cares if I look funny when I shoot it?

And back to the Beretta - A couple of points the newbie got right (in my opinion):

1) He bought an 1873...made by Uberti. While it may not be my first choice as it is, it's a sibling to Sugah's 1866 and my 1873. Uberti makes a good rifle is one thing most agree upon.

2) While he might not have stolen the gun, he didn't do too badly. I priced rifles Thursday afternoon...picking guns from a Beretta catalog and the dealer showing me his cost. Smithy did scare me with the $1500 thing, but at $1000 out the door, he didn't get hurt. I didn't look at the Renegade and if it's true it's being discontinued, it might can be had in time for less money, but for now, it's a good looking gun for a decent price.

3) a. If the links result in a short stroke that makes him happy, that's a good thing. I'd say he's ahead of the game compared to using a number of other rifles.

b. If the links result in a short stroke that is as short as Cody Conagher's guns and it makes him happy, it's a great thing.

c. If the links are even shorter than Cody Conagher's and with an action job (like most everybody eventually figures out they will like), we might be approaching awesome.

d. If the links are throw away and he wants to drop in a commonly used short stroke kit with an action job, he's no worse off than most of us and he might end up with an awsomer rifle.

Smithy, my money says you'll be glad you bought that biggo heavy 73. I knew we'd make a Chevy man out of you. :D

Smithy has mistaken Wire readers for cowboys that care about his feelings!

That was Never my concern. Because if it was I certainly would end up very disappointed to say the least. If you reread the opening post, I only was sharing my experience in shopping for a new 1873 rifle and the resulting purchase of a Beretta Renegade in 45 LC, simple. That however ruffled some feathers (since other folks don't use that rifle) and now we end up with three pages of "I know you are, but what am I" straight out of the 2nd grade playground. All because two weasels, mainly one, didn't use that rifle and felt that no one else should.

You can see this same mentality occur when a newbie states that he/she has been to several shoots and are ready to buy their guns, what should they purchase; They are flooded with personal biases on essentially "buy my type of guns because I'm not an idiot and I picked them so it must be a wise choice". This goes as far as to badmouth anything else that is suggested as a possibility. What a welcome to the new guy/gal. Smart thinking. I read one thread where the shooter had all the guns he needed, but they didn't add up to others approval and he was told to buy other guns and to borrow guns until he could buy the balance of what he needed. What a farce.

If Phantom was indeed the all knowing powerfull guru of gun knowledge, then don't you think that it would be included in the SASS handbook. Or better yet made a rule on a checklist in the handbook that everyone had to follow before they fired their first shot. If I really and truly thought that I held the secret to guns and gun mods that gave me a distinct advantage to the game, I would do just that, keep it a secret and quietly advance with my knowledge. If someone suggested buying an inferior gun that made them extremely happy to own, I would keep my mouth shut and let them be happy so I could advance with my knowledge. Apparently there is something else afloat that makes you such the wordy guy. Obviously not everyone will duplicate your exact gear and will want to buy (in your opinion) substandard gear. Get used to it. Why do you think that there are so many makes and models of guns? That's because there are varied tastes in the world of shooting and of SASS.

As it turns out, I got myself a very nice 1873 at a price that was cheaper than any of the competitors (other than used which I ruled out) that had most of the upgrades that I couldn't do myself. People have stated that "it's still an Uberti". True, but a much nicer one at a much cheaper price. Others have said that it is no lighter in weight. Well you have two barrels both 20" long and octagonal and chambered for 45 LC. With only that, they should weigh the same, but mine is tapered the full length of the barrel. Now which one is lighter. It doesn't take rocket science to figure that one out.

I don't know if it's envy or pride or what exactly is the reason to bemoan someone else's happiness in the purchase of a firearm. I owned a Bersa 380 that in my opinion was a total piece of junk. It wouldn't feed and sometimes doubled + up to draining the whole magazine. It was unreliable at best. But others have written on what a deal their Bersa 380 was for them and that they use it for their carry gun and defend their life with it. I keep my mouth shut and at best I might admit to having not such good luck with my sample of Bersa that I used to own and left it at that. Use some common sense. You obviously have never owned a Beretta Renegade so I would expect your comments to be non existent. Smithy.

That was Never my concern. Because if it was I certainly would end up very disappointed to say the least. If you reread the opening post, I only was sharing my experience in shopping for a new 1873 rifle and the resulting purchase of a Beretta Renegade in 45 LC, simple. That however ruffled some feathers (since other folks don't use that rifle) and now we end up with three pages of "I know you are, but what am I" straight out of the 2nd grade playground. All because two weasels, mainly one, didn't use that rifle and felt that no one else should.

You can see this same mentality occur when a newbie states that he/she has been to several shoots and are ready to buy their guns, what should they purchase; They are flooded with personal biases on essentially "buy my type of guns because I'm not an idiot and I picked them so it must be a wise choice". This goes as far as to badmouth anything else that is suggested as a possibility. What a welcome to the new guy/gal. Smart thinking. I read one thread where the shooter had all the guns he needed, but they didn't add up to others approval and he was told to buy other guns and to borrow guns until he could buy the balance of what he needed. What a farce.

If Phantom was indeed the all knowing powerfull guru of gun knowledge, then don't you think that it would be included in the SASS handbook. Or better yet made a rule on a checklist in the handbook that everyone had to follow before they fired their first shot. If I really and truly thought that I held the secret to guns and gun mods that gave me a distinct advantage to the game, I would do just that, keep it a secret and quietly advance with my knowledge. If someone suggested buying an inferior gun that made them extremely happy to own, I would keep my mouth shut and let them be happy so I could advance with my knowledge. Apparently there is something else afloat that makes you such the wordy guy. Obviously not everyone will duplicate your exact gear and will want to buy (in your opinion) substandard gear. Get used to it. Why do you think that there are so many makes and models of guns? That's because there are varied tastes in the world of shooting and of SASS.

As it turns out, I got myself a very nice 1873 at a price that was cheaper than any of the competitors (other than used which I ruled out) that had most of the upgrades that I couldn't do myself. People have stated that "it's still an Uberti". True, but a much nicer one at a much cheaper price. Others have said that it is no lighter in weight. Well you have two barrels both 20" long and octagonal and chambered for 45 LC. With only that, they should weigh the same, but mine is tapered the full length of the barrel. Now which one is lighter. It doesn't take rocket science to figure that one out.

I don't know if it's envy or pride or what exactly is the reason to bemoan someone else's happiness in the purchase of a firearm. I owned a Bersa 380 that in my opinion was a total piece of junk. It wouldn't feed and sometimes doubled + up to draining the whole magazine. It was unreliable at best. But others have written on what a deal their Bersa 380 was for them and that they use it for their carry gun and defend their life with it. I keep my mouth shut and at best I might admit to having not such good luck with my sample of Bersa that I used to own and left it at that. Use some common sense. You obviously have never owned a Beretta Renegade so I would expect your comments to be non existent. Smithy.

Not pithy or terse.

I'm wondering how the length of throw of the Renegade is. Is it equal to a "3rd generation" set of links or ???

I would not expect it to be at the very minimum as allowed by SASS since that would be a little too close to unacceptable, but. . .

So some of you may want to read the rules for that (copied below for your convenience), measure and let us know.

• All lever action rifles must have a lever travel distance of not less than 4-1/8 inches when measured as follows:

With the action closed, measure three inches back from the back edge of the trigger at the point where it enters the frame. Mark this point on both the bottom of the buttstock and the lever opposite the buttstock mark. Open the lever to its maximum extension and measure the distance between the two marks.

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

It is really too bad they are going to stop selling these guns, if nothing else, it would give the staunch out of the box shooter an edge over his like minded out of the box competitors. :rolleyes:

+1

There's something I haven't heard about in a while.

Whatever happened to those folks who fought so much for that?

Didn't they want a new Category for "Out Of Box" or something or other?

Weren't they supposed to come back to the Wire and report their findings on getting it done and actually starting a Category for that? Maybe they found a total lack of interest at the local level and didn't want to say anything about it?

I'm just curious where that subject went to.

First, I would suggest you start paying attention to some of your Christian teachings... :wacko:

Secondly, I couldn't give a rats ass whether someone shoots what I shoot...I'm truly sorry that your elevated intellect lead you to believe that.

Glad ya picked up on the paragraph concept...but really...most folks don't really care about your daily life stories.

:FlagAm:

OK. Here is my take on the Renegade. (as if anybody cared. :blink: )

It's like the Marlin CBC.

Was to be a race ready factory rifle.

But like the Marlin. It was not as good as the ones some of our great smiths

do. It came up a little short.

For the same price, or less, you could get one done by one of our smiths, and know, WHO did it.

And be better than the factory job.

All for less money.

Marlin stopped selling the CBC for the same reason.

The Renegade at $1300-$1500???? And still needs some work to be as

good as one done by one of the great smiths out there.

Not a good buy.

That's why like the Marlin CBC. It is going bye bye.

But for $1000 bucks???

Around what you would pay for a stock 73????

If I was wanting another 73 right now.

Might have to think about it.

For $1300. No. Would get one done by one of our good smiths.

Smitty, I do not mind the back story it helps me wrap around what you are trying to accomplish with your post. I am a little late to add anything to the discussion about the rifle that you don't already know. Other than you got a great rifle and I am glad you like it.

but mine is tapered the full length of the barrel. Now which one is lighter. It doesn't take rocket science to figure that one out.

Howdy

First of all, I truly hope you are happy with your new rifle when it arrives. Let's get that straight from the start.

But several times now you have mentioned how your new rifle is going to have a tapered barrel. I seem to remember your earlier post where you mentioned how heavy the '73 you hefted in a store felt to you. Are you sure it did not have a tapered barrel too? The reason I ask is sometimes one retailer will mention some particular detail as a selling point, even though his product may be identical to another retailer's product, they just have not mentioned that particular detail.

I'm pretty sure all the Uberti octagon barrels are tapered. I just went downstairs and laid a caliper across the flats of my 24" Uberti '73. At the frame, it is .855 across the flats. At the muzzle, it is .730 across the flats. Yes, it is tapered for its full length. There is no section where the sides are parallel. I don't have a 20" Uberti to measure, but I'll bet you a donut they are tapered too.

Then I got more curious and grabbed a couple of my old rifles, a Winchester 1892 made in 1894 and a Marlin 1894 Made in 1895. Both have 24" round barrels and both are tapered. The Winchester is .875 across at the frame and .700 across at the muzzle, the Marlin is .900 across at the frame and .760 across at the muzzle. Then I grabbed my Marlin Model 39A and it too is tapered, from .900 at the frame to .600 at the muzzle. Grabbed Mrs Johnson's little Model 94 carbine and it is .925 across at the frame and .655 at the muzzle. Winchester Model 61 pump 22 is .750 at the frame and .580 at the muzzle.

The big surprise was even my 24" Uberti Henry has a slight taper to it, .910 at the frame and .795 at the muzzle.

Most of these guns, the taper is so subtle that unless one actually measures it, one is not aware that the barrel is not straight. That is not true of my 1892 Carbine, made in 1919. All Winchester carbines had noticeably tapered barrels and this one is no different, tapering from .930 at the frame way down to .595 at the muzzle 20 inches away. You can really see how thin the barrel wall is at the muzzle with a 44 caliber hole in it.

I suspect it was standard to taper all these barrels because a slightly tapered barrel looks more pleasing to the eye than a straight one, even if the taper is barely perceptible. Kind of like those columns that the ancient Greeks used to make. They discovered that a slight bulge at the center was more pleasing to the eye than a column that was truly straight.

So I am intrigued that you are emphasizing the fact that your new rifle will have a tapered barrel, when I strongly suspect that all Uberti rifles have tapered barrels. They just may not be advertised that way.

Again, no disrespect meant. I truly hope you are happy with your new rifle.

P.S. I suddenly remembered about 'swamped' muzzle loader barrels. It was typical to gently thin down a muzzle loader barrel towards the middle, then taper it out again to muzzle diameter. Not sure exactly why it was done, whether it was for aesthetics, or maybe for barrel harmonics. But I know swamped barrels were common with muzzle loaders.

I'm wondering how the length of throw of the Renegade is. Is it equal to a "3rd generation" set of links or ???

I would not expect it to be at the very minimum as allowed by SASS since that would be a little too close to unacceptable, but. . .

So some of you may want to read the rules for that (copied below for your convenience), measure and let us know.

Just measured my 45 Renegade and going by SASS instruction on measuring, I get 4 5/8th. I gave $895.00 total out-of-pocket for each of my Renegades so I think I got pretty good deals........

Just measured my 45 Renegade and going by SASS instruction on measuring, I get 4 5/8th. I gave $895.00 total out-of-pocket for each of my Renegades so I think I got pretty good deals........

Great deal..and Legal too.

Does your FFL dealer take care of you?

:)

Great deal..and Legal too.

Does your FFL dealer take care of you?

:)

Yes, I owe that cowboy a steak dinner at Trailhead.......ask Ray if I can wear my new green boots.....

Yes, I owe that cowboy a steak dinner at Trailhead.......ask Ray if I can wear my new green boots.....

Billy. just remember as you go forth. "reality exists outside of emotion"

Enjoy your new rifle. I am thinking of getting one now....but will have to short stroke it down to the 4 1/8 minimum from that 4 5/8".

:):)

Since Driftwood didn't have a 20" short rifle,octagon barrel around,I just so happen to have a barrel out of the frame. I was told when I bought it that it was a take off from a 73.None the less the 66 & 73 short rifles share the same barrel.It checks out at the breach end at 0.845 and 0.778 at the muzzle. So yes their is a very slight tapper but not one that I can notice by eye. If by chance you find it too heavy,their was a thread in the last week about lightning a barrel under the fore arm that might be of interest to you.Edit Smithy I found the fluting topic,their is usually more than one way to skin,well you fill in the missing word,don't want to set any animal lovers off http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=164107&st=0&p=2113861&hl=+fluted%20+barrels&fromsearch=1entry2113861 Adios Sgt.Jake

rti

Since Driftwood didn't have a 20" short rifle,octagon barrel around,I just so happen to have a barrel out of the frame. I was told when I bought it that it was a take off from a 73.None the less the 66 & 73 short rifles share the same barrel.It checks out at the breach end at 0.845 and 0.778 at the muzzle. So yes their is a very slight tapper but no one that I can notice by eye. If by chance you find it too heavy,their was a thread in the last week about lightning a barrel under the fore arm that might be of interest to you. Adios Sgt. Jake

My Renegade feels the same as all my other Uberti Rifles (Yes Uberti is written on the box) of similar length. I still think my Marlin 24" feels lighter than any of them, but probably just my imagination.

Billy. just remember as you go forth. "reality exists outside of emotion"

Enjoy your new rifle. I am thinking of getting one now....but will have to short stroke it down to the 4 1/8 minimum from that 4 5/8".

:):)

But what about my new green "Ray's Gang" boots??????

His mother will gladly give them to you to get them out of the house.

Since Driftwood didn't have a 20" short rifle,octagon barrel around,I just so happen to have a barrel out of the frame. I was told when I bought it that it was a take off from a 73.None the less the 66 & 73 short rifles share the same barrel.It checks out at the breach end at 0.845 and 0.778 at the muzzle. So yes their is a very slight tapper but no one that I can notice by eye. If by chance you find it too heavy,their was a thread in the last week about lightning a barrel under the fore arm that might be of interest to you. Adios Sgt. Jake

Thanks Sgt. Jake. With those numbers it appears that the rate of taper on the 20" barrel might be the same as on the 24" barrel, or at least similar. Just truncated a bit at the muzzle. I'll have to fire up my calculator to see if the taper is the same.

Thanks Sgt. Jake. With those numbers it appears that the rate of taper on the 20" barrel might be the same as on the 24" barrel, or at least similar. Just truncated a bit at the muzzle. I'll have to fire up my calculator to see if the taper is the same.

Driftwood It would be interesting to see how it works out,even more interesting is if some one had the numbers on a 30" barrel and see how they compare to the the 20",24". Thanks Sgt.Jake

Are you sure it did not have a tapered barrel too?

Driftwood, you may have me on that one, but did you read my post where I mentioned that I figured out that the Uberti I was first checking out had a 24" tube? So this rifle is definitely going in the right direction. (Short enough Phantom?). Smithy.

Eh, some people are contrary just for the sake of being contrary. Who knows why. Maybe they wake up every morning in a bad mood and want everyone else to join them there.

Driftwood, you may have me on that one, but did you read my post where I mentioned that I figured out that the Uberti I was first checking out had a 24" tube? So this rifle is definitely going in the right direction. (Short enough Phantom?). Smithy.

Wundurful

I have a couple of Baretta related questions.............

Does Baretta still have his Uberti, Fred the Cockatoo?

Was he really on The Little Rascals?

If he was always saying "And dat's da name of dat tune", why wasn't he ever on Name That Tune?

Eh, some people are contrary just for the sake of being contrary. Who knows why. Maybe they wake up every morning in a bad mood and want everyone else to join them there.

True...some folks are like that...too bad. Some people take themselves way too seriously too...which makes for a sour life.

cowboys that care about his feelings!

That would actually describe the majority of us. Unfortunately, the majority of us will sit and watch a newbie be torn to shreds.

I'm reminded of elementary school where, beginning in the second grade, Roger White passed out misery. He always had a following and I did not understand initially why others would stand and grin (and sometimes help - if someone was getting the better of Roger) while he pounded the pulp out of others. New students were a favorite.

It finally dawned on me why his followers would stand by him: They didn't enjoy seeing others abused, but by doing so, his pulp-poundings were not directed at them. It was safer to stand behind him....than to risk being in front of him.

What a strange thread. In three pages we have an interesting discusssion about the Beretta Renegade, a visit from the grammar police, undeserved personal insults thrown by a bully or two, and a whole lot of unvarnished hate. Except for the Beretta Renegade discussion this is one thread that should just go away.

What a strange thread. In three pages we have an interesting discusssion about the Beretta Renegade, a visit from the grammar police, undeserved personal insults thrown by a bully or two, and a whole lot of unvarnished hate. Except for the Beretta Renegade discussion this is one thread that should just go away.

Hate??

Bullys???

Geeze...come on!

Way back when, I said that paragraphs help in reading...then of course Smitty broke his post into 3...and made a comment that he had them from the git-go...sorry, but that's funny.

Then I simply said that folks buy Uberti (as yes, the Ren. is made by Uberti...I think Uberti makes everything in the gun world and we just don't know it yet), they buy standard config. Ubertis for a reason.

And yes, IMHO ya git whatcha pay for.

Now I'm the big bad bully bear...as if we are all a bunch of little school kids that can't handle other's opinions.

Please...

Believe it or not, many folks are not artist in the written word...nor are they seasoned diplomats.

The Uberti plant is on the grounds of the Beretta factory. When I visited the plant I asked if the made the Beretta cowboy guns. The reply was yes they do. They build them to the specs that are requested.

The original post was diffecult to stay focused on, but that might have been ADD (Another Damn Distraction)kicking in.

With that said I have no other horse in this pissing contest.

Who's calendar? Wasn't defined...

"Year zero" does not exist in the widely used Gregorian calendar or in its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Under those systems, the year 1 BC is followed by AD 1. However, there is a year zero in astronomical year numbering (where it coincides with the Julian year 1 BC) and in ISO 8601:2004 (where it coincides with the Gregorian year 1 BC) as well as in all Buddhist and Hindu calendars.

Since nitpicking seems to be the spirit of this thread, I would point out that the "astronomical year numbering system", of which you speak, does have a day zero, but it occurs in 4713BC on the commonly used calendar for this country. This dating system, which starts at noon Greewich time on Jan 1 of 4713BC is called the Julian Date. It has no relationship to what you refer to as the the Julian calendar. It was named by it's founder Joseph Scaliger, a Scottish pharmacist and amateur astronomer(I believe in the 18th century)in honor of his father Julius.

I checked with my sister, the English teacher, and she said this paragraph was not too long. She, however, was not too wild about the length of the first sentence.

<snip>... Saturday I was having a conversation with Sugah about how much I liked the look of the checkering on a Beretta Renegade.

To my limited knowledge, it is the only 1873 straight stock that comes checkered from the factory when you take out the very high dollar limited edition guns that you wouldn't dare shoot in a match...<snip>

Just as a correction, Cimarron does have a fairly new model they call a saddle rifle which is 18" octagon with case-colored receiver and checkered straight stock and forearm. I think they come with or without Uberti short stroke links in them (but need an action job).

Just as a correction, Cimarron does have a fairly new model they call a saddle rifle which is 18" octagon with case-colored receiver and checkered straight stock and forearm. I think they come with or without Uberti short stroke links in them (but need an action job).

That's good news. I wonder when they will add it to their web site?

That's good news. I wonder when they will add it to their web site?

Yeah, not many items that they have added in the past year are on their website. There is a new website being built but I don't know when it will be ready.

Archived