SASS Wire Forum

Beretta Renegade Is On Its Way!

Smithy

I shoot a Rossi 92 in 45 LC and that rifle will continue to serve me in WB, but of late I've had a hankering for an 1873 of some type or description. So I've been searching the web and the local dealers and the Wire for what each had to say about 1873's and the various upgrades to be done on such a rifle. Buying a gun and sending it off to a smith was going to end up very costly in the long run so I looked at buying a race ready gun directly from a smith and that was in the 1600+ department which was still kind of stiff. Then I saw on Guns America, a Beretta Renegade which already had the short stroke mod installed to where the balance of the work that I would need would be in the DIY neighborhood.

On Guns America there were a couple of used ones (I didn't want to buy someone else's problems and wanted new), and they had one new one at $1,317.00. Just a little more than the Uberti 1873's were going for and was indicated in previous threads. I then changed my search parameters and ended up with a full page listing of dealers that would order me a Beretta Renegade and included the price they would charge me to do so. The dealers were arranged in proximity to my home address and my favorite local dealer came up first. The cheapest price was the same $1,317.00 so I figured that since I was to do the balance of the work on the gun (the short stroke was already in) I would go ahead and buy it. Of course that price did not include tax and registration so the final price would end up being somewhere around 1500 bucks. Ouch! I had sent the Guns America email saying that I would buy that gun from that dealer and Guns America emailed me back telling me to go the next day and put my deposit down to confirm the order.

I went in the following day asking about the email and they couldn't find it at all. Come to find out, the owner had deleted it in error having not even read it. So I told them that it pertained to a Beretta Renegade in 45 LC with a 20" barrel. They then called Beretta directly and got some prices and ordered the gun even without my OK. After they got off the phone I was told that I could have the gun for $1,000.00 out the door, tax and registration included. So I ended up saving close to 500 bucks. Turns out that Beretta is discontinuing the model and is offering their dealers a discount to do so. And I ended up benefiting in the process. So it's not a true "Uberti 1873" or "Winchester 1873", but it's a darn pretty rifle with a short stroke just waiting for a little slicking up and some stainless springs and follower and a little leather to finish her off and I'll be good to go. Smithy.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First - paragraphs make reading a bit easier...

Secondly - ever wonder way folks choose Uberti's over all others????

Thirdly - ya git whatcha pay for.

First - I have three paragraphs!

Second - Stumps me why folks choose Uberti's (They have to fix them before they can even shoot them)

Third - I'm getting exactly what I've paid for and so are Uberti owner's, That's why they got to fix them.

My 2 cents, and thank you! Smithy.

First - I have one paragraph!

Second - Stumps me why folks choose Uberti's (They have to fix them before they can even shoot them)

Third - I'm getting exactly what I've paid for and so are Uberti owner's, That's why they got to fix them.

My 2 cents, and thank you! Smithy.

Yeah...one BIG ASS paragraph! :lol:

Uberti's don't need to be fixed. It's simply a choice as to whether you want them to be more CAS friendly.

Good luck with your rifle...and remember what P.T. Barnum always said!

:FlagAm:

Howdy,

The Renegade is a Uberti of sorts Beretta owns Uberti so Uberti make the Renegade for them, the big difference is the pre-installed short stroke and a shotgun butt stock other than that is a uberti, enjoy but it still may need some smoothing.

KK

Yeah...one BIG ASS paragraph! :lol:

Uberti's don't need to be fixed. It's simply a choice as to whether you want them to be more CAS friendly.

Good luck with your rifle...and remember what P.T. Barnum always said!

Howdy,

The Renegade is a Uberti of sorts Beretta owns Uberti so Uberti make the Renegade for them, the big difference is the pre-installed short stroke and a shotgun butt stock other than that is a uberti, enjoy but it still may need some smoothing.

KK

I'm not too sure they owned Uberti when the Renegade came out...but whatever.

Stamped into the tang of my Beretta Renegade is.

A. Uberti,

Well there ya go!!

Who made the SS links?

Why was the Renegade discontinued?

Why do some folks write in big long drawn out paragraphs?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Howdy,

Phantom call Jim he has the answers about the links had a conversation with him and if I remember right Uberti had borrowed link designs without permission and that what's in the Renegade, Call Jim I could be way off base, it was discountinued I believe because of Price everytime I had seen it it was priced around 1500.00 green backs.

Big paragraphs happen because we forget to breath as we are writing?

KK

Well there ya go!!

Who made the SS links?

Why was the Renegade discontinued?

Why do some folks write in big long drawn out paragraphs?

Inquiring minds want to know!

I was at a distributor show a month ago and Beretta was there. They had a Renegade on display, didn't mention anything about them being discontinued. Anyways, it did not have the shotgun butt style, just the regular crescent buttplate. Not sure what that indicates.

Cimarron is starting to import some '73's now with Uberti short stroke toggles installed. The actions are stiff because they need action jobs, but I guess the idea is that since you don't have to replace toggles you end up saving money in the long run. Same deal with the Renegade I suppose.

I have one and it has Uberti stamped right on the tang. Mine has served me well. You will want to change the lever safety spring to a coil one. I installed a Pioneer Guns Works main spring coil conversion, they are sweet and smooth as silk. I also polished all the internals.

I got mine for $650 from a local company that didn't know what it was worth. I tried to tell them, but they sold it for what it was marked.

You will like the rifle, they are blued, not cased hardened like you see online. Very nice checkered wood.

Enjoy

Wasatch

Smitty, I hope you enjoy your new gun,and I look forward to a report as to how well it works for you. I did not know we were being graded on grammer. If so, I will be in trouble with my posts. As my fat fingers keep hitting the wrong keys. Cheers, Willie

Grammer ain't got nuthin to do with being able to hit the "Enter" button every now and then... :wacko:

Enjoy your Renegade...

I have one and it has Uberti stamped right on the tang. Mine has served me well. You will want to change the lever safety spring to a coil one. I installed a Pioneer Guns Works main spring coil conversion, they are sweet and smooth as silk. I also polished all the internals.

Wasatch Lawman, are all the above mentioned goodies available from Pioneer Gun Works or did you have to shop around for some of them? Smithy.

I have owned a Renegade about six months.......shoots great. I have and do own Uberti 73, 66, along with a couple of Marlins......heck even owned a couple of Chaparrals......they all need slicking up. Only difference I find on the Uberti rifles is the markings.......just saying.

Smithy, yes, it's all available from here:

http://www.pioneergunworks.com/

They can install it all and give it a great action job if you want.

Work...it needs work???

Well what do I know...ever hear of these guys?????

The Masters of 73 Mods

this is the place to go if you want awesome service by folks who know what they are doing THE BEST

Heck of a deal. Half-pound burger, fries AND a beer for $5.99.

Smithy,I can understand Phantom's frustration with your initial post: it was WAY too long and tedious. About TEN times too long. We don't need to read your diary entries, it takes too long and is boring. To condense makes sense, concise is nice, short and sweet is neat. You could have just said got a new rifle. Has factory short stroke. Gonna slick it up some meowndangself. Will let y'all know how it shoots. I have noticed your tendency to long windedness. Unless you are Driftwood giving us a history lesson, the rest of us appreciate short posts. without all the unnecessary stuff we don't need. Your first post on this string basically wasted too much of too many of us'ns time. Comprende? Some folks just don't have time on their hands to burn reading unnecessary wordiness.

Phantom, Beretta has owned Uberti since some time in the LAST century, I think. Been a loooong long time anyways.

Smithy,I can understand Phantom's frustration with your initial post: it was WAY too long and tedious. About TEN times too long. We don't need to read your diary entries, it takes too long and is boring. To condense makes sense, concise is nice, short and sweet is neat. You could have just said got a new rifle. Has factory short stroke. Gonna slick it up some meowndangself. Will let y'all know how it shoots. I have noticed your tendency to long windedness. Unless you are Driftwood giving us a history lesson, the rest of us appreciate short posts. without all the unnecessary stuff we don't need. Your first post on this string basically wasted too much of too many of us'ns time. Comprende? Some folks just don't have time on their hands to burn reading unnecessary wordiness.

Phantom, Beretta has owned Uberti since some time in the LAST century, I think. Been a loooong long time anyways.

Close - it was 2000.

;)

Unless you are Driftwood giving us a history lesson, the rest of us appreciate short posts.

How did I get dragged into this discussion?

Absolutely not debatable. There was no year 0.

Who's calendar? Wasn't defined...

"Year zero" does not exist in the widely used Gregorian calendar or in its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Under those systems, the year 1 BC is followed by AD 1. However, there is a year zero in astronomical year numbering (where it coincides with the Julian year 1 BC) and in ISO 8601:2004 (where it coincides with the Gregorian year 1 BC) as well as in all Buddhist and Hindu calendars.

Who's calendar? Wasn't defined...

"Year zero" does not exist in the widely used Gregorian calendar or in its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Under those systems, the year 1 BC is followed by AD 1. However, there is a year zero in astronomical year numbering (where it coincides with the Julian year 1 BC) and in ISO 8601:2004 (where it coincides with the Gregorian year 1 BC) as well as in all Buddhist and Hindu calendars.

You never said you were a Buddhist or a Hindu in your original post.

Archived