SASS Wire Forum

Colt New Frontier

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Every once in a while, I happen across a Colt New Frontier revolver, you know the, SAA with adjustable rear and the really big front sight.

I have never purchased one becuase I always thought they looked wierd.

However, it occurs to me that I usually see these guns asking for a LOT less money than a "standard" SAA. While I have not seen one in some time, if I DO see one again for the typically (relatively) short money they go for, I just might take the plunge.

But now here is my question...

The gun has adjustable sights. I normally shoot Duelist. If I have to shoot a differnt category to use this gun, so be it. But I'll be honest, I can't keep track of what the rules for adjustable sight revolvers are. Partly cuz it was never something that concerned me, but also becuase the rules keep changing, or at the least, argued about. I am not yet old enough to shoot an age based category.

Yes, I know, I could check the handbook, but I wanted to ask the Wire. It's more interetsing this way, and, well, someone might know if there is a move afoot to modify the rules from whatever they currently are.

I am not yet old enough to shoot an age based category.

Yes, I know, I could check the handbook, but I wanted to ask the Wire. It's more interetsing this way, and, well, someone might know if there is a move afoot to modify the rules from whatever they currently are.

Just read your post more closely. The age based categfories start at Buckaroo, so you are old enough if you are more than say 6. ;)

It does raise a question for me though. When Senior Duelist was added as a category it was deemed to be an extension of the Senior category, rather than the duelist category. As such the rules for Senior were applied, making it legal to use an adjustable sughted revolver. I wonder what clubs do when they add Senior Gunfighter to the mix? Hmmmmm..........

Just read your post more closely. The age based categfories start at Buckaroo, so you are old enough if you are more than say 6. ;)

It does raise a question for me though. When Senior Duelist was added as a category it was deemed to be an extension of the Senior category, rather than the duelist category. As such the rules for Senior were applied, making it legal to use an adjustable sughted revolver. I wonder what clubs do when they add Senior Gunfighter to the mix? Hmmmmm..........

That's not all it raises...

Your comments prompted me to acutally go and re-read the Handbook, doing a search on the word "adjustable."

I don't find a single line anyplace that restricts or prohibits the use of adjustable sight revolvers to or from ANY specific category.

All that it does mention is a list of SASS approved adjustable sight revolvers, but no list is given.

This is why I asked the Wire, the rulebook, it seems, doesn't say that there are any restrictions, and yet, there seems to be a belief that there are.

I am confused.

I see at the Shot Show,Colt is planing on reintroducing the New Frontier http://www.gunblast.com/images/SHOT2011/Day1/DSC02917.JPG Finish looks to be what one would expect from Colt,beautiful. Adios Sgt. Jake

That's not all it raises...

Your comments prompted me to acutally go and re-read the Handbook, doing a search on the word "adjustable."

I don't find a single line anyplace that restricts or prohibits the use of adjustable sight revolvers to or from ANY specific category.

All that it does mention is a list of SASS approved adjustable sight revolvers, but no list is given.

This is why I asked the Wire, the rulebook, it seems, doesn't say that there are any restrictions, and yet, there seems to be a belief that there are.

I am confused.

Try a search for "Any Main Match fixed sight model revolver."

I believe you will find the answer.

..., someone might know if there is a move afoot to modify the rules from whatever they currently are.

There was...at the 2009 TG Summit, this was one of the agenda items.

(a rule change requires a 2/3rd majority for approval)

3. Should we allow the use of adjustable-sighted revolvers in all categories except Classic Cowboy and Black Powder Categories?

That would be to allow them in the Duelist and Gunfighter category. They are already legal in all age based categories and B Western.

168 for (50.60%) 160 against (48.19%) 4 abstain – FAILED

Archived