SASS Wire Forum

Taylors 1865 Spencer Carbine

I've currently got a bid in on an auction site for a Taylors 1865 Spencer carbine in .45 Schofield. Don't know too much about them except they do have a certain historical "cool" factor.

Any pards have any experience with these? Any info would be appreciated before I get in too deep.

Thanx in advance.

Howdy Captain,

I shoot a Spencer in 44-40 and there is a difference in the extraction system. Go over to CASCity.com, go to forums and they have a forum devoted entirely to Spencer shooters. That's where I picked up most of my "realtime" info before I bought one.

Shakey

I have one in .45LC. As an accessory, I also bought a Blakeslee Box with six aluminum tubes to carry reloads - five rounds in each tube, the tubes go in the box and the box goes over your shoulder on a sling. In 45LC, I can only load five rounds at a time (45 S&W will probably get six or maybe even seven), then I have to stop and reload. You can use the weapon without loading the magazine, something like a Sharps. I also bought a shoulder sling, even though I'll probably never use it for anything other than getting my photo taken.

At SASS ranges, it's accurate enough and incredibly fun to shoot. At longer ranges, well... Let's just say I thought that Clint and Morgan using a Spencer to snipe with in "Unforgiven" was a fantasy. You get mega style points, which is a good thing 'cause you'll never get points for speed.

You didn't say why you were thinking of buying one, except maybe the "cool" factor. Coolness and fun are the only reasons to own one; they are not for competition. I love mine.

BTW, there's a Spencer forum on CAS City that's pretty active.

I've been using a .45S&W Spencer for both CAS and mounted Civil War cavalry reenacting for about 9 years now. I have one of the early ones with the twin paddle extractors. For reenacting I use blanks made from .44 Mag cases (though it is my understanding that those don't work well with the newer .45S&W versions with the Lane extractor)and I have a relatively cheap source of blanks. For live fire OAL length is extremely important in the .45S&W models. As already mentioned the a Blakeslee box is a cool accessory, I use one for reenacting. They are handy for reloading, but are actually rather clumsy for mounting and riding. For CAS, I user a Dyer pouch with with a tube that will hold up to four rounds. I also recommend the CAScity Spencer forum.

As already mentioned the a Blakeslee box is a cool accessory, I use one for reenacting. They are handy for reloading, but are actually rather clumsy for mounting and riding.

Let's see... Blakeslee Box slung over the right shoulder and fastened to the left side via belt loop; saber slung from the left side of the belt; revolver/holster slung from the right side of the belt; carbine hanging on right side from sling over left shoulder, muzzle resting in cup on right stirrup. Caps and cartridges for revolver in boxes on belt.

Is there room for a cavalryman in there, somewhere?

Why would anyone buy a Spencer in anything but 56-50? Other than brass is non existent right now, but that's another thread.

When that gun belches smoke, hellfire, and brimstone and that big ol' 350 grain bullet zips out of that billowing cloud and knocks Bad Bart steel right on his back... well, the spotters aren't whispering, "Did he hit that one?" "I dunno, I think maybe I saw it wiggle a little" "I think I heard a tink"... No, they involuntarily jump back, wide eyed, and say, HOLY CRAP, WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT? :blink:

On the other hand, I consider it a darn good stage when the sundial registers under 90 seconds at the end... :lol:

I have one in .44 russian that works real good. Had to install a taller front sight and its on target at 25 yds now. Holds 8 rds [9 with short 160s] so .45 s&w should hold 8. Like they said its slow to operate by SASS standards but its a blast to shoot.

Let's see... Blakeslee Box slung over the right shoulder and fastened to the left side via belt loop; saber slung from the left side of the belt; revolver/holster slung from the right side of the belt; carbine hanging on right side from sling over left shoulder, muzzle resting in cup on right stirrup. Caps and cartridges for revolver in boxes on belt.

Is there room for a cavalryman in there, somewhere?

Not much! Plus my blanks don't weigh that much. I believe a ten tube B. Box fully loaded with .56-.56 or .56-.50 weighed close to ten pounds. I'd hate to have pull myself into the saddle, with all that weight, on horse over 14 hands!

Upon reflection, I've dropped out of the bidding.

If any pards are interested, here it is: http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=981403911

It's currently at $440. Not bad for a gun that currently sells for $1300 to $1700 NIB.

The Spencer is one of those guns (LeMat and Brown Bess are two others that come to mind) that I sometimes think I would like to buy. But I usually come to my senses and realize it is also one of those guns that would have me asking myself at a later date "Why in the heck did I buy this thing?"

Archived