SASS Wire Forum

Yer healthy until yer not

Yesterday around noon I had a session where I suddenly felt unwell. My body was revolting. I simultaneously needed to go to the bathroom with extreme urgency and felt weak, as if my blood sugar was low, (I am not diabetic). I was 45 miles from home doing some errands at the time. I got to a Wendy's, sat a bit, got a small burger and a coffee, and back in the truck, had to force it down but did so. After 30 minutes or so I felt almost hung over, weak and crappy but "better" by far than before. I went on with my errands, and later at home, after dinner, again felt "off" enough to be concerned.

Meanwhile, since I'd got over a cold several weeks ago, I'd been having some small chest pains that at first I thought was soreness in my breastbone or a rib from coughing, but as it deveops, were PVCs my heart was tossing that were painful. This came to light when my wife took me to our local community hospital, got hooked to a monitor and was able to see a PVC on the monitor when I had a pain, and get the doc to see it, etc.

They decided to keep me, and this morning did an echocardiogram that revealed the valves working properly. The on-call cardiologist reviewed my EKG and decided he didn't like it, some T wave changes led him to suspect a blockage.

They shipped me by ambulance 30 miles to a cardiac wing of a bigger hospital, and performed a catheterization within hours. Luckily the blockages found are small enough NOT to have needed immediate care, no stents, etc, but the doc told me I likely dodged a bullet by getting to the ER and on oxygen, nitro, etc last night. He suspects my body was trying real hard to slow me down with the "unwell" feelings, and not waiting to see how I felt in the morning almost certainly saved me from an MI.....

For those who have not met me in person, I'm 54, 5'11, 175 lbs or less, and generally active and a bit "hyper" even. I'm not particularly out of shape despite a former history of cigarette smokeing and current smoking of a few "Backwoods" ceegars a day (never over 5, often about 3 of em)

So this evening they said "when you can walk around, you can go home". It was over 3 hours post procedure, so they tried to walk me. NOT HAPPENING. My BP went down to 70/29, my pulse to 40 or less, and I was out on my feet as three people got me back in bed. I could sorta see, could still hear, but was limp as they hooked everything up and administered some drugs. There were likely 6 people involved, three MDs, etc. Once I began to come around, BP 90/60, heart rate 55, I remembered that this morning the local hospital had put on a "nitro paste" (a 2X4 dressing with a big line of nitro grease on it) taped to my shoulder FOR THE RIDE. It had not been noticed and by now it had been in place 11 hours, and had me overdosed on nitro, unable to keep BP or heart rate when standing. That thing removed, they gave IV fluids "push", and allowed me to eat a second meal since the procedure. In an hour or so I was well enough to walk and was allowed to leave.

We got home 30 minutes ago. I'm posting from the bed, propped up on some pillows, laptop actually used in it's namesake fashion.

As my good pard Sgt Jake is wont to say "Yer healthy until yer not". I see my crystal ball filled with cardiologists and plenty of drugs and yes, no more ceegars, a switch to decaf, and yeah, I gotta slow down. No more 24 hour, 1500 mile runs to FL on nothin but coffee and McDonalds, no sleep, etc. No more marathon sessions working on stuff in the shop, catnapping and working round the clock for days......

To my Trading Post friends, please indulge while a take a few days off. Orders will be filled. I ain't gonna die just yet.

Glad to hear you got taken care of. I am 67 and have gone 24 - 7 for years and smoked from 15 and stop when I started CAS about 5 1/2 months ago Take care of your self.Your to young to give you. Prayers up for you.My God give you the smarts to take care of yourself.

I am almost 15 years post MI now. Hang in there pard, we are all pulling for ya and know you will be ok. What's a PVC?

From wiki because I'm tired and don't wanna explain it:

Premature Ventricular Contraction (PVC), also known as a premature ventricular complex, ventricular premature contraction (or complex or complexes) (VPC), ventricular premature beat (VPB), or extrasystole, is a relatively common event where the heartbeat is initiated by the heart ventricles rather than by the sinoatrial node, the normal heartbeat initiator. The electrical events of the heart detected by the electrocardiogram allow a PVC to be easily distinguished from a normal heart beat.

What it looks like on an EKG is a "V" shaped departure of the line, below the normal line of a normal heartbeat. It's more or less in the middle of the normal formation, and means yer heart chambers are out of synch, trying to pump with valves closed, etc. Kinda like an engine backfiring through the carb. ye get a stutter and not a lot of work done. Several in a row will put ya outta business, sending ya into a real heart attack.

I'm glad it's good news, had enuff bad news this year!

cheyenne

Geeez, AJ, at least you were smart enough to do something before hand. Those cath's ain't fun, hopefully the Doc was into using the sand bags. My first one, the Doc I had was a clamper. Clamped to the bed! Not fun at all :wacko:

take care of yourself and do what the Doc's tell ya. We'll put you on our prayer list..........Buck&Sue&Sandy :blush:

:ph34r: Well, I was certainly glad to read that last sentence!

Also glad to read of your positive outcome of what very easily could have been

a disaster for you and your family. Being sensitive to and observant of our state of

being becomes ever more important as we age.

Best wishes for rapid and full recovery.

Geeez, AJ, at least you were smart enough to do something before hand. Those cath's ain't fun, hopefully the Doc was into using the sand bags. My first one, the Doc I had was a clamper. Clamped to the bed! Not fun at all :wacko:

take care of yourself and do what the Doc's tell ya. We'll put you on our prayer list..........Buck&Sue&Sandy :blush:

Just a small raised pressure dressing, with instructions to press on it if I cough, sneeze, or it starts bleeding.

I figured it out pretty much yesterday before I went to the ER. When I had the short, "catch" kinda pains, a few in several minutes, I put two fingers on my neck to monitor my pulse, and when I had a pain I could feel a weird heartbeat. KNEW it needed a looksee, wasn't GIRD or esophageal spasm, etc. The episode of "feeling unwell" that had no other ready expplanation made me pay more attention. The pain and the funky heartbeat I could feel that went with it made me KNOW I needed to go.

I'll probably be fine.

Sounds as if you may need a pacemaker pard. Had mine put in Halloween 2005 and it has been a real lifesaver for me. Might want to talk to the heart doc about that possibility. Six weeks after the install I was back to shootin' just fine.

Cardiologist will have to evaluate the EKGs vs the road map of the arteries, and yeah, that thought has occurred to me. If it ain't fuel (blood to the muscle) gotta be electrical, just like any other motor....

Jack Thankfully ya caught it when you did,them long hard trips take their toll. Having a daily round trip of 140 miles a day and working the swing shift,I found out I wasn't superman. That's when I discovered One day you're fine ,the next day you're not,it was just that simple.I know this will hard but rest up and get well,folks placing orders will understand. Adios Sgt. Jake

AJ,

Really glad your doing OK, and you caught it fast enough. Listen to your doctors, keep your aspirin and nitro handy. Your results sound almost identical to mine about 1 ½ years ago, no stints either. Symptoms and circumstances were a little different. My doctor found no reason for doing anything but by controlling it with meds and frequent visits (down to every 3 months now). My cholesterol was also through the roof! Here's to better living through chemicals :wacko: . I had also quit smoking after 40+ years just a couple of months before, doctor said that could have been the stressor, but I was a time bomb.

AJ, From a fellow G'ville man I am glad you are doing what the doctors are saying. About 7 years ago A-Fib caught up with me and with exercise and good drugs everything is just fine. The first cath is a little nerve wrecking but hang in there. Everyone has their own story but sounds like you did everything you were supposed to do and things are working out for you. Prayers with you and hope to stop by for a visit this coming August when I make another trip back to good ole NY. Diamond Curly aka: Bill Edick

Howdy AJ - glad you're still around to peck the keyboard and keep us updated.

Been there and done that myself, although I didn't get any warning shots. About a year-and-a-half ago was walking into work and felt like I'd been slammed in the chest with a baseball bat. Staggered me pretty good. Feeling passed, and went on about my day. Next morning at breakfast another hit, only this one felt like someone was sitting on my chest. Figured something was amiss, so went to the ER. Nothing moves you to the head of the line like the sentence "I'm having these chest pains ..."

80% blockage in one, 25% in the others. Docs told me I'd had two heart attacks in two days. Didn't want to tempt that "third time's the charm" thing. Cath job, one stent, fistfull of pills, changes galore in lifestyle.

Do what they tell ya, and you'll be up and around making mischief just like nothing happened before you know it.

One thing's for certain - getting old ain't for sissies.

Glad you're ok. Listen to the nice doctors, but don't be afraid to ask questions either.

Take it easy and get better soon.

And NO snow shoveling!

Kick back and take it easy until Doc says different. :ph34r: We don't want to have to come up with a nother critter like you. :wacko: We prefer the one we know and appreciate! :excl::D

Get well soonest. :FlagAm:

Golly AJ, sure glad things stabilized and got better for you real fast.

Thanks for posting this.

I wear one of them Nitro patches everyday. Mine are about 1" diameter but I'm only suppose to wear it during the day.....'TAKE OFF AT NIGHT'.

I can relate to your situation. Back in around 2005, a normal stress test create some chest pain. The Dr suggested I NOT go home but rather let him go up inside my heart and check me out.

I only needed one stent in the heart. But other test revealed that I also needed stents in both sides of my neck.

So within a couple months, the neck stents were initiated.

I take my meds daily and seem to be doing fine.

Just wanted to share some encouraging news to you. Those heart Dr's can really help you out but you'll have to live by their advice and instructions.

take care of yeowndangself.

I wish you well my friend.

..........Widder

AJ

Glad to hear that you caught it in time. As has already been said "Listen to the Docs!" I hope to meet you sometime if you ever make one of those 1500 mile trips to Florida, say, for the Last Stand in January? Just don't do it in 24 hours!

I enjoy reading your posts and respect your opinions. (At least most of the time!)

You did us all a service by posting this.

AJ-

Glad to hear you're going in the right direction, sure sorry to hear of your troubles. Life is a series of adjustments, sounds as though you're aware and ready to do the right things. Lots more living to do!

CR

Wow!

Glad you found it early and can respond. Make sure you do!

It sure can sneak up on us. It did me as well, I did well for 10 years, then got some blockage in veins/arteries too small to fix.

So stay with it, pard!

Glad you're ok. Listen to the nice doctors, but don't be afraid to ask questions either.

Take it easy and get better soon.

And NO snow shoveling!

A big +1 for sure!

Hey AJ,

Although we haven't met face-to-face and agree to disagree on occasion, ;) I hope you know I consider you a good man and friend.

I hope that you continue to improve and are feeling good as new ASAP. The Wire wouldn't be the same (for me anyway) without you.

Your pard,

Allie Mo

Several years ago I was diagnosed with ventricular fillibration. Had an ablation done to the inside of the heart. (Microwave cookery on a bad electrical connection)

Results were a complete cure with a side effect of PVCs. Easily controlled with a really cheap medication daily.

When you have gone through something like this you hear and feel every heartbeat for years.

One of the fun parts of the ablation procedure is that the Doctor connected the heartbeat control section to a rheostat and could turn my heart rate up to the point I was bouncing on the table and down to near nothing.

AJ I'm glad you got to this in good time and are on the mend. Take good care of yourself and dont push it, plan on seeing you at the VT states and the Nor'Easter.

Thanks IP and thanks to all of you for your kind words.

I got myself a new primary care sawbones today, an appt. for a complete workup, and a follow-on cardiology appt for a couple of weeks. Got some work to do, particularly learning new limits, etc.

I fully expect to be shooting by The VT shoot, and if at all possible, before that.

My hope in posting this is somebody else will pay attention to little pains, and to feeling "unwell" with no apparant reason for it. Your body will give ya clues, don't be "superman" and ignore em.

AJ,

Best wishes to ya. Been there, Done that, Got five stainless stints to show for it. Got me a 3 AM Helicopter ride to boot. Take it one day at a time and ............ the headaches you get from quitting "real" coffee are killer. They only last about 10 days though. Decaff is your friend. PVCs will scare the crap out of ya. The medicos will tell ya you'll get use to them. They lie.

Get well soon.

PS: If your local hospital has a "wellness" program for cardiovascular exercise, buy into it. My hospital does and it's the only reason I'm still here to type this.

Aj; Glad to hear you caught things when you did. Some of us are stubborn and ignore the signs. I quit the cigars and burboun at Thanksgiving after the stroke....I miss em, but I too got a second chance and am making the best of it. You are a good man and I'm glad you're gonna be around.

Know that there are a lot of pards that are holding you in their prayers.

KK

Archived