SASS Wire Forum

Monastery raided by ATF, firearms confiscation

Cabalero Chuck

Yeah, you heard it right. A monastery folks, and the rub is that the monks weren't even found to be breaking any "code violations" . The Fed.s took it upon themselves to haul away some 50-odd rifles and handguns, and get this - over 800 boxes of ammunition, in the spirit of a so-called "crisis intervention" . Huh, I wonder what a bunch of Orthodox Cappadocian fathers (monks) did to deserve this sort of anti-constitutional siezure of property, much less the 2nd amendment issues involved.

After you check out the sensationalized "news" article , and see the pics (nice broom handled Mauser Father), go to thier website and sign the guest book with a few words of encouragement.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/cleveland_metro/no-violations-found-after-57-guns-confiscated-from-st-hermans

http://sainthermans.ipower.com/index.html

link fixed

Yea that new yibbiddy yibbiddy church of the all mighty they built on that country road not too far from me ain't a cartel church either.

Can i paint your numbers on the sidewalk for a donation?NO! But can't link to that first link.. :blush:

Pards, does this sound weird to anyone but me??? monks and 57 rifles and 800 boxes of ammo, some ar15/m4 style? maybe they just love life??? Kwai Chang Caine(Kung-FU show for those youngsters) never needed an AR-15 there Grasshoppers....

Cornfused,

Ornery Oaf

It opened for me just now. But monks with guns? Unless they are takeing them from the people they are feeding,Dont seem right to me.

Maybe they have a food for guns program. :blink:

You should be able to get a steak for that Mauser! :unsure:

Just trying to read between the lines -- looks like there could have been the belongings of a couple hundred homeless people, maybe more stored at the site. Not likely the guns actually belonged to the monks, but to the homeless people they were sheltering and feeding. Come to think of it, if I lost my house one of the last possessions I would hang onto would be a gun...and I'd be mighty ticked if my "hosts" let the ATF come out and confiscate it just because I wasn't present to stand up for my rights.

It's also not clear who called them in, could have been the monks themselves.

If the were no violations and no charges, someone needs to have their butt kicked for going in there and confiscating the property in the first place. No matter what you think of monks with guns,it's nobody's damn business and it certainly doesn't warrant this treatment.

As to why the guns:

Why Fr. Henry had the guns

father john henry the wonderfull pastor of st. hermans for the homeless was taken by police to the luthern hospitol for psychiatric evaluation for allegedly having 57 guns and thousands of rounds of ammunition - father henry is one of the steering forces of the great st. hermans

(UP-DATE - f. henry collected the guns as an investment for the future because he has no pension - as i spoke to f. henry he said hes looking at other things to collect since collecting guns may not be the safest investment - as we laughed - and f. henry may auction the guns)

St. Herman's House of Hospitality - 4410 Franklin Blvd - Cleveland, OH (216)961-3806 -

for over 40 years father henry has helped our community - and thousands of homeless folks with shelter and meals to the needy every day - father henry helped guy and Quest ministries 40 years ago when hardly any status qua enities would help and through the years father henry has been there for us - when every resource failed there was always st. hermans for any one in need -

let us help father henry in his hours of needing support - visting hours are 1 to 2 and 6 to 8 pm at luthern and the floor is 3 c - 216- 696-4300 -

and from Orthodox wiki

St. Herman's House of Hospitality is an Orthodox Christian monastery for men located on the west side of Cleveland, Ohio. The monastery is under the jurisdiction of the Central Eparchy of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in the USA.

The monastery, which follows the rule of St. Basil the Great, was founded on September 27, 1977 by Mother Mary Blossom and Father Gregory C. Reynolds.

The monastery is best known for its ministry to the homeless. It provides help for indigent men, although meals are provided for homeless women and children.

If the were no violations and no charges, someone needs to have their butt kicked for going in there and confiscating the property in the first place. No matter what you think of monks with guns,it's nobody's damn business and it certainly doesn't warrant this treatment.

Can we get a big AMEN! on this?

ABSOLUTELY!

We have both First and Second Amendment issues here. If a government agency can raid a church like this, what is to say that YOUR church, tabernacle, synagogue, mosque or other place of worship cannot be raided, also?

If the government can seize weapons possessed, owned, held by monks 9whatever their reason), then it can seize yours, too.

"Crisis intervention?" Malarkey!

Buena suerte,

eGG

I wonder if ATF or Cleveland PD initiated it. It sounds like the police department was used for possible "code violations" because ATF didn't have a leg to stand on. These Federal/Local task forces do that kind of stuff all the time.

Maybe Cleveland was hoping to sell the guns and ammo to help their DESPERATE financial situation.

If this amkes sense to you, I have a doctor I should introduce you to.

Amen.

I don't care if he is a monk or a skunk, he is an American Citizen and as such is entitled to Keep and Bear arms. I'm not as worried about them invading my church as I am about them invading my house! I also suspect there is more to this story than we have been told so far but then the press is more likely to go off half cocked than an old SSA.

Bugs

Well, the number of guns and ammo count are up to 232 guns and 2000 boxes of ammo, after raids at the monk's apartment and a farm....

http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-father-abbot-steps-down-st-hermans-weapons-txt,0,5735522.story

Do you get the sense that there is something else happening here? The lack of concrete facts leads to too much speculation. If this is nothing more than an emotional over-reaction, it's scary as hell. You can have your home and work invaded, your property seized, and your person detained and then sent in for a mental examination, all because someone thinks you "must be crazy" to own a lot of guns? Geez, we're all in jeopardy. I want to believe that there was some bizarre and threatening behavior that justified the concern, or some hidden criminal behavior that is not yet being disclosed...need more facts.

LL

A few more facts, and an acknowledgment by the state that "folks are allowed to own as many guns as they want"...

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/02/spiritual_leader_gives_up_post.html

Hmmm....guns in plain view in his car...is that illegal in Ohio? Waiting around Wal Mart for 2-3 hours before buying guns? Trying (unsuccessfully) to avoid the tax? Maybe all together, a talk was in order....but I'm still waiting for some facts that indicate a liklihood of damger or serious illegal conduct...

LL

That's a lot of guns and ammo.

Around a lot of homeless people which most are

on drugs or drunks (not all, but a big part) who would do anything for there next fix.

Not right just to go in and take them.

But sure think he needs looking into some.

It don't all smell right.

But not enough there to take everything.

But sure enough to keep looking into what he is up to.

Can we get a big AMEN! on this?

HERE YOU GO

AMEN

That's a lot of guns and ammo.

Around a lot of homeless people which most are

on drugs or drunks (not all, but a big part) who would do anything for there next fix.

Not right just to go in and take them.

But sure think he needs looking into some.

It don't all smell right.

But not enough there to take everything.

But sure enough to keep looking into what he is up to.

Bull!

Maybe someone ought to look into how many guns YOU have.

Amounts to the same thing, regardless of how many..

As was pointed out in one of the articles I posted yesterday, it would seem that Fr. Henry was investing in guns to sell of later when he retired.

(UP-DATE - f. henry collected the guns as an investment for the future because he has no pension - as i spoke to f. henry he said hes looking at other things to collect since collecting guns may not be the safest investment - as we laughed - and f. henry may auction the guns)

Being somewhat familiar with Orthodoxy, I know that most clerics, even parish priests, have little or nothing for retirement. Most of the priests I know have to have jobs other than being a priest in order to keep a roof over the heads and food on the table of their families. Our former parish priest, if he hadn't had a 30 year USAF bird colonels retirement would not have been able to take the position and work as he did to get the parish growing again.

Orthodox monastics don't have the extensive orders as the Roman Catholics do, most monasteries are small shoestring operations. Maybe making candles, or painting icons, or some such to keep going.

Archived