SASS Wire Forum

may God bless

LAYLOW

CRAP!

Our game has lost one of the true greats. LLC was the second person to walk up and introduce himself to me and Old Top at our first shoot. And he never would leave me alone after that.....He wanted to be sure we were haveing a good time. In recent days he would always talk to me about my health. I wish I could have known him longer.....

I won't forget the trip to the canyon recently to pan for gold. We didn't find any gold, but that day spent with J3, DV, Pepper and LLC will be in my mind and heart forever...

The Lord broke the mold with him....

Pepper, my prayers are with you.

Curley and GramaPhyllis

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I received the call of Ed's passing from my brother today at about noon. Ed was a treasured friend, and a treasured Posse 2 Pard who will be sorely missed. I feel blessed having known Ed. Ed is now in eternal peace and completly healed. Tery, please know that that you are in Terri's and my prayers. We are holding you up before our God in heaven, may you find the comfort that only Jesus can provide.

I will miss you my friend. Thank you for being you.

With our love and prayers,

Kevin & Terri

Prayers UP, Lay Low was as good a Cowboy as your ever likely to run across. A Very sad day.

TH

:( LLC liked my brownies

he made everyone feel important

Wow. This hurts. I knew in my head it was coming, I hoped with my heart it wouldn't. He was an inspiration to me for CAS, and an inspiration to me when we were together after we found out about his health problems. Prayers up for him, prayers up for Teri and thanks to all his friends down there for helping out.

A sad day indeed.

I never had the opportunity to meet him face to face but just talking with him was enough to form

a friendship as if I'd known him my whole life. My heart goes out to Pepper and the family.

A man can be judged in the end many ways. One way is by the number of friends he leaves behind and

the number of lives that he effected.

I can honestly say that Laylow was a friend and Hero of mine.

J. Rojas

aka Jacked Up

The last paragraph from the DAMMIT story "The Last Straw", the story of Laylow and Pepper...

... Laylow was not surprised at this, but was grateful for the effort and attention Juan was giving his plight. “I am indebted to you for you assistance, Juan. If there is anything I can do for you, please say so.” “We shall get to that soon enough, let me continue.” Juan pulled an envelope from his breast pocket and handed it to Laylow. “Contained in here is information regarding the whereabouts of the man who was responsible for the death of Hermijillo, as well as his last known location. I do believe you should pursue this man posthaste to ensure he is brought to justice as soon after your acquittal as you can.” Laylow did not hafta open the envelope to know what it contained. He also knew Juan was right. Laylow looked pensive for a moment then took a long slow draw of his favorite single malt. “Well, there is no rest for the weary I guess.” He opened the envelope and read its contents. After he read it twice he stood and walked to the fireplace. Laylow tore the paper into several pieces and threw them into the warm crackling flames. “No reason to leave any evidence of your involvement around for anyone to use against us.” Looks like I’m headed West to the Superstitions. Good thing I’m not superstitious!” Laylow smiled and poured anther drink.

I have just returned home from Ed's place and Pepper.... It's been a rough day.

Laylow rode out of town this morning after the good Lord played the DAMMIT chip, seems he had need of our fearful leader...

Laylow was never one to shy from a challenge, and even when he didn't win, he still enjoyed the ride. This next ride is one with unknown adventures and a rich payoff.

I have been honored to have called him my brother, there is a hole in my soul that will remain there 'til we meet again. I just hope I am not wearing my spurs with the chains when I reach the pearly gates 'cuz Iknow Laylow is gonna have steps built so he can say to me... "Watch those stairs Jimmie, yer gonna break yer neck on those stairs with them chains".

He left me a letter that I just read, and I now know just how 'special' Ed was...

We all will miss him, but we are blessed to be able to share our memories for a long time, and just know if ya get just one part of the story wrong, he will let ya know...

Via con dios my brother...

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

I'm truly heartbroken to hear that Ed passed this morning. We knew it was coming, but I have never seen anyone fight such a courageous fight more valiantly than Ed did against this insidious disease.

Ed was a man whose sense of humor and hospitality were second to none. The Cowboys is a better place because Ed was a stalwart member. I'm a better man for having known him.

Ed was out at The Cowboys match in November and some of us were talking about the Holidays and Christmas presents. Ed piped up that it was probably not a good idea to get him a 2011 calendar for a "Fruit of the Month Club" membership for 2011. He laughed and we laughed with him. I'll rememebr him with a smile.

My heartfelt prayers are up for Terri and Ed's family. Vaya Con Dios Amigo.

Lay Low, I sure am gonna miss Ya in Tombstone and as you ride around in that big wagon up there look down and smile at us my friend....We know your in the drivers seat now.... Thank You for being my friend. The gates will be open and the light will be on. Safe Journey.. T-Bone

Laylow and I jibbed on the wire... a few years back. Had a bit of fun we did.

Was at EoT '05... maybe '07... heading to shoot my shift and heard my name called down like might have been done in 1880-something. "Stump Waterrrrrrrr!!".

Cowboy came strolling up and said, "Hi!"

Looked at his name tag and busted out laughing. (I don't have a clue how he recognized me from across the way) We exchanged pleasantries and I had to get off to shoot.

Dammit.

Let this be a lesson to me and all reading this. There isn't a stage to be shot or a match to attend that can't wait for some time with a friend.

What more can I add to the things already said about Laylow? If Laylow counted you a friend (and that list was quite long!!), there was nothing he wouldn't do for you. His camp was open to all. He had a rapier-sharp wit and enjoyed zinging ya as much as getting zinged. In fact, after the monthly Cowboys matches, I would sit back and watch Laylow mercilessly heckle Capt. Jake until he took a drink. Usually this meant Jake drank alot more frequently. Just thinking about that makes me miss Ed that much more. I know he's no longer in pain and he's riding on a better posse now, but I'm going to miss him. I'm proud to have called him my friend.

Ride easy cowboy. You're in good hands now and we'll take good care of Pepper for you.

IR (can't see very well now through the misty eyes) OT

LLC was such a great ambassador for our sport, and a warm, caring human being. I am glad i was able to spend time with him at the GBJL this past Fall.

My prayers are with Terri, but glad Eds no longer in pain. To the end he was so concerned for his friends. Via con dios, amigo. I am a better person for having known you.

Please post your favorite picture of Ed or a story....

I would like to collect a bunch of both for a tribute to him...

And I ya can please send me the full photo file to me at

jyouden@dslextreme.com

JJJ-D

Well, its been a long day. The moments that have been shared by all of you brought both smiles and tears.

Ed was one of a kind, and for those of you that wasn't lucky enough to know Ed have truly missed a wonderful soul. He has been much more that a friend but part of my family. He has brought so many moments in my life that I'll cherish for the rest of my life. He was the one person that could always trick me into doing things I didn't want to do. One time he called me up to talk. He said he was feeling out some paperwork for the FNRA(Friends of the NRA). He asked if he could put my name down on the sheet. I thought it was for a reference or something to that effect. Next thing I new I was the new Chairmen for the Inland Empire FNRA. That was Ed! One of a kind and a gift in my life from the heavens. Rest in peace my brother, until we meet again. You are always in my heart.

Double Scotch - Dammit

It was my loss that I never met Ed face to face. I know I would have made a new friend, but I count him as a friend in spite of that.

My most sincere sympathies and deepest condolences to Pepper, the rest of his family and to all his friends. All of SASS grieves along with y'all.

Happy Trails, Ed. Blue Skies and Green Grass for the rest of your eternal ride.

There is little I can say that others have not. Ed Kerley was my friend, I miss him, and selfishly I was not ready for him to go yet. My prayers are for Terri, his family, and Jittery Jim Jonah who is his best friend.

Jailhouse Jim

Sad News. Ed was truly one unique individual.He told me once that he used to shoot IPSC, but gave it up. I asked him why, and he said "those guys just took it to serious". Then he said,"now you take this cowboy shooting, it's fun!And fun it is, especiaaly when you were shootin with Mr. Ed. They say in this sport you come to shoot, but come back for the people. Ed was one of those people to be sure. Heck he gave me my Dammit name! Alot of good times and alot of good memories. My heart goes out to Terri, what a classie lady.

Hasta Luego

Booger Dammit

I just spent some time working on a written tribute/ obit for Laylow.

One the hardest things I have ever done...

I am hoping I can keep it down to about 5-6 pages :mellow:

JJJ-D

Tamale and myself are just heartbroken at the news of Ed's passing.

He was one of our best friends not to mention one of the most fun people we know.

We will miss him terribly but never forget him!

We are on our way to Tombstone where last year we were awakened by a loud knocking on our door at 2:00AM.

Outside was Ed and Pepper and some of his cohorts looking for something to do, not yet willing to call it a night.

It was a special moment and a very special memory that we will laugh about everytime we think of Laylow, which will be very often.

So long for now FRIEND,

Your friends, Wylee and Tamale

It's taken me some time to let the tears from my eyes dry up enough to be able to post here on the wire.

LLC was not only a great cowboy but he was my friend and more importantly, I was lucky enough to be his friend.

Laylow and I became friends through cowboy shooting and that friendship grew to a level I don't share with many.

He was a brother in many ways to me. He was a cowboy brother, camping buddy and a fellow Brother in Blue! As many have said, if you were Ed's friend, there was nothing he would not do for you.

All of us are better people for having known and loved Laylow. We have all been truely blessed.

Laylow, please know that all of us still down here will do anything and everything possible to take care of Pepper and your family! They are in good hands because you have taught us all what it means to be a friend and part of your family!

I know Laylow is now walking the streets of gold, spurs jingling away and capping off one liners with Smoke Parnell and the rest of the cowboys who have gone on ahead of us.

God Bless you my friend! You were one of the best!

Adam Cartwright

I was saddened greatly when Youngblood called to let me know of his passing. I will greatly miss my good friend...

My prayers have already gone up for his family. I know Laylow will be joining that great posse in the sky shortly. I pray that he saves a spot for the rest of us.

Buffalo Sam Peed

I didn't know him personally, haven't had the pleasure to shoot with him. However, reading all the tributes to him, I hope someday to meet him after I pass thru the pearly gates as well. It sounds like there will be quite a crowd of cowboy angels around him.

We need more of his kind. Rest in peace. Prayers up for the family and friends.

Archived