SASS Wire Forum

New CAS shotgun? Yildiz SxS from Academy Sports

Doc Fill 'Em 67797

I noticed that Academy Sports was carrying a side-by-side shotgun I had not seen before. The brand is Yildiz, made in Turkey. Looked pretty good so I bought one to try. It comes in 12, 20 and .410 gauge. Single select trigger, mechanical reset. The safety is not automatic. It has really nice Turkish Walnut wood with a matte finish. The receiver is silver, looks like a matte finished nickle. There is a slim rubber recoil pad, a thick Limbsaver pad is available specifically for the gun as well. The checkering is handcut, laser engraving on the receiver and bottom of the triggerguard. Overall, it looks nice. The barrels are 28" and have screw-in chokes. It comes with five choke tubes and a choke tube wrench. I shot it with Winchester Featherlights and I like the way it shoots. The barrels open easily and the hulls slid right out. The trigger reset was fast, too. The barrels open all the way and didn't try to close a little like some shotguns do. It has a three year warranty and I noticed that the repair facility is Briley. I think I'll get the Limbsaver recoil pad for it later. All in all, I really like it. Might be a good alternative to the Stoeger as far as a good, low priced shotgun. Of course those 28" barrels may need to be trimmed later, but I'd hate to lose the screw-in choke ability.

Price was $486.99 plus tax.

Here's some info

I did a quick Google search and they sound pretty well liked. I need to start telling myself "I have a shotgun, I have a shotgun, I have a shotgun..."

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

Hey Doc,

I had seen this one before http://www.hayesandassociates.co.nz/yildiz_shotguns.htm but they never show a top view anywhere. Does it have a flat receiver/barrels or is there a dolls head? Some of them are pretty good lookin and gotta be better than a Stogger or Bake-well even if it had to be converted to coil springs...

Hey Cinch, the receiver is flat, no dollshead or barrel extension. Has the half extractor, not hourglass. It's supposed to snow here tomorrow so I'll probably be off work and I'll post some pix.

I could not find a weight anywhere in the literature. The picture looks like a splinter forend. Does it feel like one.

Thanks

McKenzie

I looked at them over a year ago.

I remember them to be Very light.

My assessment was similar to Doc's.

My only concern was finding a top gunsmith willing to take the plunge.

Of course, all top gunsmiths are already trying to get their heads above water with what the have.

Seen the O/U a few years ago.

They look fairly fancy for the price.

Did not know about the SxS. Does it have ejectors?????

Wonder if cutting the barrels off would void the warranty. :unsure:

Appears to be the same gun that Cimarron was trying to sell and Evil Roy was selling race ready. They handled nice and I even shot the one that Gene was using last WR. They had some quality issues as well as an issue with lugs cracking, and as a result Evil Roy is not selling them anymore.

I went into a Dick's Sporting goods in NE Ohio yesterday and looked at a Stoeger Coach gun with a model number that doesn't coincide with any numbers outlined on the official Stoeger website. It looked just like the Supreme (#31463) but the screw in chokes stuck out the end of the barrels about an inch or so, and the gun was priced at $349.00. The clerk wasn't able to help me much beyond peeking under the trigger lock and confirming that it was a single trigger version and that the pricing just got adjusted the day before (Sunday). Since it is a national chain I would suspect that the price will only be good for the coming week or so. He also told me that warranty/guarantee would be to bring it back for exchange ONLY , when I asked about satisfaction guarantee he said that there are NO returns on firearms and the exchange policy would be for one year?. I'm going to verify that info for definite terms before I consider buying one though. Best price I've seen on a new Stoeger, but they have just the one model and couldn't provide any model specific information concerning the gun.

I went into a Dick's Sporting goods in NE Ohio yesterday and looked at a Stoeger Coach gun with a model number that doesn't coincide with any numbers outlined on the official Stoeger website. It looked just like the Supreme (#31463) but the screw in chokes stuck out the end of the barrels about an inch or so, and the gun was priced at $349.00.

Howdy CC,

Just an FYI:

Shotgun barrels may have internal choke tubes installed provided they do not extend beyond the muzzle.
SHB p.5

Hey Doc Ward, there's no rule that says you can only have one!

Yeah, but I have other things to get to fill out my gear first. Maybe sometime down the road, although if I had seen those and read some of the reviews before picking up my Stoeger, I might have gone a different route!

• Shotgun barrels may have internal choke tubes installed provided they do not extend beyond the muzzle.

SHB p.5 Quote

Well, thanks for setting me straight, I knew I was overlooking something. I wonder if chokes that don't stick out are available. Or "choke" tube eliminators...

Coffinmaker are ya saying ya got yer mitts on one a them Pedersoli "Wyatt Earp" 2rows? Let us know all about it please.

The extended chokes on that Stoeger should be able to be replaced with regular flush fit chokes. Surely the threads have remained the same. ? ...

I did a quick Google search and they sound pretty well liked. I need to start telling myself "I have a shotgun, I have a shotgun, I have a shotgun..."

I'm in the same boat! lol

Archived