SASS Wire Forum

1883 Burgess

Bart Solo

Some months ago there was a buzz about the 1883 Burgess rifle from Uberti. I have read that they are not beginning to become available from the usual suppliers. Is anybody using a Burgess in CAS? Does anybody have a real life range report?

I saw one that Tex was using at Givens Ferry last year. It looked very nice but not as smooth as a 66 or 73.

-Deadlee

Was it tuned or strickly stock? Have any of the cowboy gunsmiths had a chance to work on one yet? Does the Uberti model use the Burgess innards or is it simply a 73 in a Burgess wrapper?

One of our local Lord of the Holy Black shoots an original here at Saddle Butte. Never seems to be any problems with it. His is a relaxed and 'participant' rather than 'competitor' pace. He often shoots original Schofelds and a Remi 1882(?) SxS as well.

Was it tuned or strickly stock? Have any of the cowboy gunsmiths had a chance to work on one yet? Does the Uberti model use the Burgess innards or is it simply a 73 in a Burgess wrapper?

I have an original Colt Burgess I'm shooting. I was told by Taylor that the replica is the same as the original as far as the design of the innards. I've never handled a reproduction but from the picture's I've seen there are some minor differences, for example, the way the magazine tube is attached to the barrel is like a Winchester rather than the way Colt did it on the original.

The action is a toggle lock up but completely different design than the Winchester '73.

I have a Uberti '73 I shoot and the action on the original Burgess is as smooth as my '73.

To see the innards of an original Colt Burgess follow this link.

Colt Burgess

Sage Creek Gus

My brother bought a new Burgess as he thought it was a great rifle for CAS. He took it to Cowboy & Indians Store to get it slicked up. I was told Jim did all that he could but my brother ended up selling it as it just did not run near as smooth or as fast as his 73. I have no personal experience with Burgess rifles other than installing my lever wraps on some. I do think that they are a great looking rifle and those that I have installed lever wraps on seemed to really like theirs.

Roy

I have read that Winchester was concerned about the Burgess because it was better than the 73 in some ways. That is why they felt compelled to let it be known that they were prepared to develop a Winchester branded handgun.

I was hoping the Burgess replica would be smooth enough to be competitive with the 73 Uberti. It would really be nice to see something different than the 66 / 73 platform winning SASS contests.

Hooser was shooting one at the NRA indoor match on January 1. He only used it for one stage because the targets were black against a very dark background and his rifle had black sights. It worked fine, but he went to another rifle with white sights for the rest of the match. It's a very fine looking gun.

I've had one for about 9 months, it's in 44-40. Contrary to GOTOW magazine the innards are not a copy of a 66/73, but totally different. It is different than any of the other "cowboy" rifles, both in the way it comes to the shoulder and the way the action works.I like it and enjoy shooting it, but I also enjoy shooting my 1860 Henry, Spencer, '66, Marlin and '92. Just like shooting different guns I guess.

Some months ago there was a buzz about the 1883 Burgess rifle from Uberti. I have read that they are not beginning to become available from the usual suppliers. Is anybody using a Burgess in CAS? Does anybody have a real life range report?

I've had a carbine in 44-40 for a couple of months now and I like it just fine. Right out of the box it was very smooth and accurate. The action was designed to be much stronger than the toggle set-up used on the '73. There was an article in the Cowboy Chronicle three or four months back showing the complete disassembly and reassembly of all the innards, with photos showing each step. The author's verdict was that it is a well-designed and well made rifle. I think Uberti did a real nice job with this one.

I ordered one in 45 Colt almost a year ago. It was supposed to have a case hardened frame as well as hammer & lever. But it did not, so I had my dealer send it back. Uberti (Stoeger) was out of the case hardened models but said they would ship me one as soon as they came in from Italy. 2 weeks ago they emailed me & said that Uberti had decided not to make them in the case hardened frame. No reason was given. So my dealer refunded my money. Has anyone ever gotten a case hardened one? I know they did make a few when they first brought the gun out. I'd still like to have one.

I ordered one in 45 Colt almost a year ago. It was supposed to have a case hardened frame as well as hammer & lever. But it did not, so I had my dealer send it back. Uberti (Stoeger) was out of the case hardened models but said they would ship me one as soon as they came in from Italy. 2 weeks ago they emailed me & said that Uberti had decided not to make them in the case hardened frame. No reason was given. So my dealer refunded my money. Has anyone ever gotten a case hardened one? I know they did make a few when they first brought the gun out. I'd still like to have one.

My Taylors 44-40 Burgess rifle has a case colored frame and lever.

Found out that Cimarron has the cch models so I had my dealer call them and he hung up & quoted me a price of $1339. :o They can keep it for that! I don't want one that bad. There'll be one for sale sometime in the classifieds & I'll pick up a nice used one @ a reasonable price.

Found out that Cimarron has the cch models so I had my dealer call them and he hung up & quoted me a price of $1339. :o They can keep it for that! I don't want one that bad. There'll be one for sale sometime in the classifieds & I'll pick up a nice used one @ a reasonable price.

If you are coming to the Texas State Shoot, I'll bring mine and you can play with it if you like.

If you are coming to the Texas State Shoot, I'll bring mine and you can play with it if you like.

Thanks for the offer BH but I can't make it this year. But by next year I hope to make it.

• 3 weeks later...

There was an article in the Cowboy Chronicle three or four months back showing the complete disassembly and reassembly of all the innards, with photos showing each step.

Does anyone have this article they can scan or know how to obtain a pdf of same? I would like to obtain a copy of it.

Thanks,

I bought one about a year ago from my favorite FFL Dealer (me) and found the .45 Colt Burgess to be a good rifle, fun and lightweight like the 92 BUT not as fast as my two 73's. the lever stroke is long and sometimes the cartridge will jump up and stick in the retaining arms when it comes up from the magazine and prior to going in the chamber. just takes a hand to the ejection port to knock it back down...it does run great if you dont go to fast. still a nice rifle...different...that is why I like it.

I bought one about a year ago from my favorite FFL Dealer (me) and found the .45 Colt Burgess to be a good rifle, fun and lightweight like the 92 BUT not as fast as my two 73's. the lever stroke is long and sometimes the cartridge will jump up and stick in the retaining arms when it comes up from the magazine and prior to going in the chamber. just takes a hand to the ejection port to knock it back down...it does run great if you dont go to fast. still a nice rifle...different...that is why I like it.

Just curious -- is the lever stroke "long" compared to a regular 1873, or compared to a short-stroked one? About the same as a '92? I think the Burgess looks cool, and I've thought about getting one.

Archived