SASS Wire Forum

Carrying your winchester back in the day...

Grizzly Dave

+1 Why even think of anything else. I do the same thing with a pump shotgun if I want to empty the chamber and leave the tube loaded.

Yup. That's what I do with trombone and semi auto shotguns (house gun is a tricked out Remington 1100) and my Winchester '94 or Maaa-rlin 336 (the only 2 lever guns I ever tried to hunt with). To tell the truth, I could probably get away with hammer down on a live round with the '94 because it's one of the newer models with the rebounding hammer and crossbolt safety. I've had it for 16 years now (It's a 100th Anniversary edition) and never used the safety.

I've got a '73 I use for CAS and never really considered what I'd do if the situation arose. Since my '94 is also in .45 Colt, I prefer to use it for hunting since I can shoot all those He Man Woman Hater Club .45 Colt loads off the 'Ruger Only' page of the reloading manuals out of it. But, thanks to our more knowledgeable pards her on the WIRE, I know I can do it just like I do when shooting my Winchester 1901 if the need ever arose. (Come to think of it, one of these days I gotta take that 1901 out turkey huntin'.)

Archived