SASS Wire Forum

Live Eagle Cam

Jefro, SASS#69420

Thanks for sharing!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I am fortunate in that I go to the NCTC campus one or more times per year. Among other exhibits are "The Alligator", the first airboat; a boat that belonged to "Sea Otter" Jones==he used to do surveys between the Aleutian Islands and is the basis for Klamath drift boats and an article on Clarence Birdseye, who "discovered" flash freezing while doing bird surveys as well as exhibits on Olaus and "Maddy" Murie

"She attended Simmons College (Massachusetts), then transferred to and became the first woman to be graduated from the Alaska Agricultural College and School of Mines, (now the University of Alaska Fairbanks), with a degree in business administration. She met Olaus Murie in Fairbanks, and they married in 1924 in Anvik, Alaska. The couple spent their honeymoon traveling over the upper Koyukuk River region by boat and dogsled, conducting caribou research. The couple were the inspiration for John Denver's ballad "A Song For All Lovers."

Maddy would serve cookies (hot from the oven)& tea to any wildlife biologist who stopped by their house near Yellowstone.

It's worth going through the security clearance to see it, especially on a Friday afternoon when the staff cut out and classes finish for the week.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a serious adrenalin rush, get too close to a Bald Eagle nest.

They seem to take umbrage at what they perceive to be an intrusion and they express it most forcefully! :blink:

If you want a serious adrenalin rush, get too close to a Bald Eagle nest.

They seem to take umbrage at what they perceive to be an intrusion and they express it most forcefully! :blink:

I would not advise that. It would certainly be a violation of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA) and the Bald and Golden Eagle

Protection Act (aka the Bald Eagle Protection Act). While the Endangered Species Act no longer allows for protection of the species,

both of these acts provide for criminal charges and jail time, especially if the birds abandon the nest. It would likely be a violation of

State law, also. (Take: includes pursue, shoot, shoot at, poison, wound, kill, capture, trap, collect, molest or disturb. 16 U.S.C.

§§ 668-668d, June 8, 1940, as amended 1959, 1962, 1972, and 1978. Also: all guns, traps, nets, other equipment and means of

transportation used in violation of this Act, are subject to forfeiture to the federal government).

The penalties are even greater for golden eagles.

I would not advise that. It would certainly be a violation of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA) and the Bald and Golden Eagle

Protection Act (aka the Bald Eagle Protection Act). While the Endangered Species Act no longer allows for protection of the species,

both of these acts provide for criminal charges and jail time, especially if the birds abandon the nest. It would likely be a violation of

State law, also. (Take: includes pursue, shoot, shoot at, poison, wound, kill, capture, trap, collect, molest or disturb. 16 U.S.C.

§§ 668-668d, June 8, 1940, as amended 1959, 1962, 1972, and 1978. Also: all guns, traps, nets, other equipment and means of

transportation used in violation of this Act, are subject to forfeiture to the federal government).

Of course I was not advising it. It happened to me as a Ranger while assisting Park Service biologists with their research.

The birds, however, have their own idea of what's too close. :lol:

Ahhh....Rufus....

I think UB was just giving fair warning...not proposing a course of conduct. UB is not the type to molest Mother Nature....

LL

I know but someone may take him serious, especially since we did delist the eagle a couple of years ago (you don't

wanna know the internal issues that came up with that decision!).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived