SASS Wire Forum

Smoking While Running Clock

Zachariah Smith 70528

Guest jeweler jim

BJT,

Thank You! (Kind Sir)

Have a large pewter ash tray with the "A Woman Is Only A Woman, But A Good Cigar Is A Smoke." around the edge of the piece. A gift from a local judge it was and I prize it.

Was not going to post on this one but had a few free minutes at the shop right now and checked in to see what was being added to this.

I'm GUILTY on this one, but in my defense I have on occasion offered a hit or drag off my cigar to the shooter before I give him the "Stand By!" Have had a shooter or two take me up on it and others who offered to place it in one of my orifices. Anyway, with certain physical limitations I didn't shoot or time last year and don't know about this year. As this one winds its way onward I get the impression I won't be holding the timer anymore, not just because of the cigars but it has awakened the idea that maybe I don't have the skills to do it effectively anymore when it calls for the intervention with a shooter who needs an "Assist." So if nothing else it has made me revisit the skills necessary to run the timer and I now wonder if I ever did have them.

jj who likes his Partagas.

P.S. I would hope that any shooter who is really troubled by this one would have the sense to tell the TO to deep six the stogie while timing him or her and the TO the sense to do as asked.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smoking While Running Clock

Smoking does not bother me during matches as I can simply move up wind. The one time it does bother me is when the timer operator is smoking as I can’t move away.

It would be nice if timer operators did not smoke. Just before I shoot is not a good to get into a discussion about smoking.

Any suggestions as to how to tactfully handle this?

Back to the ?? I recon our club is the lucky one, none of us smoke.I've visited some clubs that call for "The Smoking Lamp is Out?

Allie

I'm not taking anything out of context.......those aren't my words, they are your words. Any prank with a loaded gun is still a prank. Is scaring the TO (and everyone close) not a prank? Don't worry, I won't touch your guns or blow smoke in your face, I'm a heck of alot more considerate than that...

Sun

[shooting legal black powder loads in yer owned danged guns

aint no PRANK

sassmaddmike@yahoo.com

tell me other wise

suprising a TO with black powder happens all the time

me and many shooters, shoot both, sometimes mix em up by accident

I aint never seen a TO not handle it well yet

I have found some timers will not time me once they see I am shootin the black

it would only be my way of gettin a timer operators attention

after I asked him not to SMOKE while timing me

geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese

Too much to ask? Not in my opinion Al, in fact it is perfectly fine. Before this thread started, I have occasionly smoked while running the timer. I never really never thought about it........no one ever complained or asked me to put it out. If someone would have asked, I would have put it out or handed the timer off and thought none the less about it. I'm a considerate smoker (if there is such a thing) and don't smoke around people who are non-smokers if I can avoid it. But to insinuate that I am unsafe while timing with a smoke or with anything else in my hand is insulting to my intelligence and completely incorrect. That is my main problem with some of the comments on this thread.

Sun

Hello Sun,

Now I get it. Your preceding comments and out of context attack at me was directed at comments about smoking.

I don't like the TO smoking; but, I don't remember ever saying anything to one. So, your commment, "If someone would have asked, I would have put it out or handed the timer off and thought none the less about it" doesn't really have much bearing on the conversation.

However, even a member of the ROC stated that TOs have no business smoking. TOs should focus on helping the shooter have a safe and fair run. A smoker pointed out that anything that is a distraction to being a good TO is inappropriate. What more do you need to realize smoking while timing is inappropriate.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hello Sun,

Now I get it. Your preceding comments and out of context attack at me was directed at comments about smoking.

I don't like the TO smoking; but, I don't remember ever saying anything to one. So, your commment, "If someone would have asked, I would have put it out or handed the timer off and thought none the less about it" doesn't really have much bearing on the conversation.

However, even a member of the ROC stated that TOs have no business smoking. TOs should focus on helping the shooter have a safe and fair run. A smoker pointed out that anything that is a distraction to being a good TO is inappropriate. What more do you need to realize smoking while timing is inappropriate.

Regards,

Allie Mo

There was no "out of context attack". Perhaps you should re-read you own comments on the Pranks Involving Loaded Guns thread, the whole thread.

If you read my entire comment to Anvil Al (as you have quoted) you would find that it DOES everything to do with this conversation. If I even came close to thinking that anything in my hand, regardless of what it might be, would be a distraction to me and a safety detriment in my duties as an TO/RO then I would not do it. If you think that for one minute that I don't take that task of TO/RO seriously, you are wrong....ENTIRELY wrong.

Sun

This one has been an interesting read. A little background on me. I am an ex-smoker with athsma. Now I WILL ask a TO to ditch the smoke before I come to the line. This is for both of our safety. I have had an attack on the line before and it scared the spit out of me. Do you know how hard it is to communicate that you need your rescue inhaler from the cart when you can't brath and have loaded guns on you at the line?

Now I have no problem with others smoking, I'll just stay up wind of you.

As for BP smoke, I have changed my match category on days when my asthma is acting up. I love to shoot Black, but some days I Can't.

Come on. You got to smoke that bad???? Really????

I can't speak for others, but as I said in my original post (#7 page 1), I always wait until the post shoot campfire to light my cigar.

BSD

OH DEAR GOD ! ! !

I got off the wire bout a year ago because of all the Sniveling Bi_-_'s who are here cuz they've got nothin better to do than B$@^, Whine, and Stir the Pot.

I came on here to see about FCGF at EOT...(yes the people voted, YES is was more than 50%, no it's not been "accepted" by those who say how we can play the game. FYI, WE had it at OUR State Championships!!!) ... and THIS is what I find? Glad I've been gone !

Really simple here folks;

A. Freakin be NICE to each other. We are FRIENDS, we are a FAMILY !

just because MY behavior (unknowingly) annoys you, that doesn't give YOU a right to (intentionally) annoy/attack/be rude to ME.

B. It's not about RIGHTS, it's about COMMUNICATION.

if you are allergic to the smoke, announce it at the first stage. Nicely. Ask for the assistance/cooperation of the smoker's. Just like if you are hard of hearing, walk with a cane... YOU want special consideration, just ask (nicely) for it. I'm sure your pards will be happy to accomidate ya.

C. It's NOT ALL about Safety.

a Good TO can multi-task. I'm not saying he should be braiding a new hat-band while you are shooting. A good TO wouldn't do that. I know for a fact that two good TO's CAN run shooter's through a stage, carry/smoke a Ceegar, banter/joke and make the shooter's laugh (when appropriate), shut the heii up (when a tense, top-shooter comes along), have a GREAT weekend... and still be smokin them Ceegar's when it's anounced that THEY were voted BEST TO's at a State Championship match.

We're all friends/family. Yep, some smoker's forget that they stink really bad (I can't stand cigerette's), SOME/most are very polite about it. Guess what, some of you'alls breath is Horrible! But I don't make you feel bad about it. Some of you like to stand right beside the guy with the video camera and talk real loud... ruins the whole thing for him. But he's probably nice to ya about it. And then there's the guy that's telling jokes to the counter's... distracting them.

Geeez, looks like we just need to send EVERYONE home for being a jerk.

Ok, some people are sensitive to smoke (allergic, not just "Gee, I can smell a Ceegar... get the firehose") YOU need to share that information with your posse so that they can help you with that (read; stay away from you while smoking).

Some people are forgetful that they stink (smoke) more than average, give them a polite reminder.

I'm now getting off my soap-box, smashing it to pieces, using the kindling to light a nice camp-fire where I may sit and light/smoke my Ceegarr!

I'm just sayin...

Bones.

Like I said earlyer The Worse offender is Cigerette Smoke ,,,,, Cigars and Pipes are not nearly as bad ......

It must be something ADDED to Cigerettes that is really bad .... And for some reason smoke from black powder is the least offencive of them all ...

Black powder Subs,,,,, are worse than the real thing ....

One feller I'll call Grant (cuss that's his Name)seems to be TO for me at least a couple stages per year smokes a cigar ,,,,, but he is mindfull of his smoke and it has never been a problem .... He smokes Quality Cigars and from a distance they smell good ....

But someone exhalling a lungfull of Cigerette smoke up-wind and 15 feet away causes me to start to cough..... And I must move away or things get worse ....

Jabez Cowboy

Ditto, sooner or later they will outlaw smoking outside then we can all live to be a 100.

I don't care whether you smoke or not, just not around me. I smoked for over 40 years, up to 4 packs a day.

I quit, cold turkey a few years back.

Now there is nothing I can think of that smells worse than a cigarette.

The only possible exception would be a person that smokes as heavily as I did.

I didn't think I smelled bad either. Now I'm sorry for putting my friends and family through that.

I thought the poem had much more meaning for another and certainly not me.

I choose a path divergent from the poet.

I have not smoked a cigar in half a decade. I found a much more satisfying path for me. Still, Kipling can never be disacrded out of hand. He represents another path that should never be disparaged.

I drink tonight to those that chose their own path. Bless you one and all.

Cheers,

BJT

OMG! If you know what I mean. ;)

I don't care whether you smoke or not, just not around me. I smoked for over 40 years, up to 4 packs a day.

I quit, cold turkey a few years back.

Now there is nothing I can think of that smells worse than a cigarette.

The only possible exception would be a person that smokes as heavily as I did.

I didn't think I smelled bad either. Now I'm sorry for putting my friends and family through that.

Well I don't smoke cigarettes, I will occasionally have a cigar that my pard usually passes out at matches. Indoors I can completly agree that it gets annoying and can be a real burden to folks who's health cannot take it. But more and more I am seeing people complain about it outside and IMHO it's getting to be a little absurd. Personally I think it's just another way to chip away at our personal freedoms. Smoke em if ya got em.

It's not that I worry about cancer from second hand smoke. I have really bad sinus problems. The gun powder somkedoesn't seem to bother me, but tobnacco and sometimes smoke from fire barrels causes me at least one days missed work and a trip to the Dr. I don't ever mention it at the match. I just move away from it when I can. If the TO was smoking, I would just ask the shooter behind me if he wanted to go ahead while I read over the stage again. Hopefully the cig would be done before my time came up again. I realize cigars and cigarettes seem to be a big part of the roll playing in this way of life. I accepted that when I started, so I just try to deal with it in my own way without offending anyone. Besides, I don't even know if I breathe when I shoot.

God,

Please stop the snowing so these folks can go shooting!

BH

That's one way to look at it I suppose, I see it just a bit different. For the most part people have been able to discuss a hot topic with emotions running high, yet the discussions have been adult and for the most part civil. This is something not all groups can do, yet we've been pretty successful, not bad for an old bunch of opinionated cowboys! ;)

BSD

It seems I know extremely few people, perhaps none, who light up in places I would consider unacceptable public gathering places. One thing I have noticed is that the more restrictive we have become on what is acceptable the louder some get about the need for further restrictions. I really feel that it is time to quit playing the part of hypocrites and outlaw all tobacco use/products, and even the plants, within the borders of the US and move on to something more important, like outlawing fast food restaurants and gasoline automobiles. Remember that cigarette smoke is what killed of the little Smell Darters, right?

I remember working with a guy who would actually get physically sick when we, his co-workers, would claim that the smell of the industry we were working in every day smelled worse than normal, with a wink wink. We all thought that he was playing for an early pension, which he got, but within a few years after he got that pension his family had left him and he was living in a completely sealed up house and the doctors he was seeing were not pulmonary doctors but rather psychiatrists. He lived well into his middle age before this started, funny what the brain can do when it becomes fixated on something.

I think it's a simple matter of courtesy rather than a "My rights vs. Your rights" thing.

But that's just me.

Besides, I don't even know if I breathe when I shoot.

That made me smile. I'm reminded of what I have told a bunch of new shooters when they speak of wishing they could overcome their nervousness. (Now, in order to understand this completely, stick your fingers in your ears to mimick earplugs, breathe deeply, listen, and you can hear yourself breathing.) When I arrive at the unloading table, able to hear my heart racing and breathing so hard that I'm snortin' like a horse that has just won the Kentucky Derby, you can't wipe the smile from my face because.... THAT is why I do this.

Mother called me yesterday to tell me that they had the biggest snow in Northwest Arkansas she has ever seen, even bigger than 68. I'm looking out my window in Alabama seeing snow (not much) on the ground for the third time this year. After not seeing any on the ground for about ten years, I'm thinking there's something to this global warming climate change.

At at the risk of getting back on topic, I agree with Utah Bob...and to expound, I think most cowboys exemplify courteous. Now, back to global warming climate change....and horse racing.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=horse+racing+bloopers&aq=3

I'd like to thank the vast majority of TOs who do smoke, that are considerate and do respond with courtesy whilst I'm on the firing line; your cooperation is much appreciated.

I'd also like to remind the minority to please consider that "smoking is optional....breathing ain't"....we of the Tribe of the Tobacco-Impaired go out of the way to stay out of your way as much as we can. Please reciprocate.

Archived